Trouble in opening patitioned drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarwar kumar

Right off the assembly line
I’m using WinXp Pro SP3 on my Desktop with 500GB Hard Disk having several partitions. For the last several days I’m not able to open the drives in My Computer Window. On clicking the drive icon Open with dialogue box appears with several optional programs for opening the drive i.e. the drive appears to being treated as file. C Drive where OS resides is, however, opening normally. Other drives are being opened only through address bar of the Windows Explorer. Any HELP?

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Open each drive using windows explorer and delete the autorun.inf in them. They may be hidden, so go to Tools->Folder Options to reveal them first.

After doing that, run a good antivirus and antispyware program to make sure the virus is cleared. I recommend NOD32 and Spybot SnD.

OP
S

sarwar kumar

Thanx Mr.Dheeraj for the help.After there is another problem.Now when I click the drives's icons, separate search window appears instead of normal opening of drive. On right click I find that Search option is at the top instead of Open option which is below the search option at present. I want Open option at the top so that drive opens normally at the left click.Same is the case with all the Folders. Any HELP?

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Yep, thats simple. Here's how to do it:

Go to any folder, then Tools->Folder Options and select the File Types tab. There are two entries -
Code:
(NONE) File Folder
(NONE) Folder
Select either of the two and click Advanced. Here, the "Search" option should be in bold. If not select the other one and try. When you find that, just click the "open" option in the list and click Set Default. Click OK twice and the problem should be solved. :)

OP
S

sarwar kumar

Thanx Dheeraj

I have tried this, though the drive is opening normally but folders are not opening.An error message comes "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.Create an association in the Folder Options Control Panel."
I tried this also in the Folders Options>File Types. In the File Folder Advanced Tab>Actions there is only one option-find.Further in the File>Advanced Tab>Actions there are two options explore and open.I tried both of these to set as Default,alternatively but in vain.Problem still persists.
Waiting for your help ...

TRY DIS...............

There's a quick and easy fix for this problem. Open up regedit.exe by using Start\Run and then browse down to this registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

Double-click on the default value and set it to "none" without the quotes

This will restore the normal behavior.

Update

If you are also experiencing this problem when you try to click on a drive, you can run this command from the run box or command prompt:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

This should restore the normal behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom