Transfer speed too slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
It takes 6 minutes to transfer a 4GB file from my portable HDD to a local drive in my PC.
The same transfer takes only 3 minutes in my friend's PC.

I have a much better processor and more RAM than him. But still, why it takes double the time for file transfer?

sakumar79

Technomancer
Possibility No.1: Your system may have accumulated more "junk" over the years compared to your friends PC causing your system to be generally slower... You can check this up by performing regular activities in both and comparing speed...

Possibility No.2: This could be a random situation where your system might have been using CPU for other items too, etc... You can try at a random different time to check this...

Possibility No.3: Your system is using USB 1.1 technology to transfer data instead of USB 2.0... You can check the drivers installed for your motherboard to check if this is the case....

I guess there are other possibilities, but these three popped in my head immediately...

Arun

OP
webgenius

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
Possibility No.1: Your system may have accumulated more "junk" over the years compared to your friends PC causing your system to be generally slower... You can check this up by performing regular activities in both and comparing speed...

Possibility No.2: This could be a random situation where your system might have been using CPU for other items too, etc... You can try at a random different time to check this...

Possibility No.3: Your system is using USB 1.1 technology to transfer data instead of USB 2.0... You can check the drivers installed for your motherboard to check if this is the case....

I guess there are other possibilities, but these three popped in my head immediately...

Arun
Possibilites No. 1 & 2 ruled out. Possibility 3 looks intersting. How exactly can I check if my PC has USB 1.1 or 2.0?

sakumar79

Technomancer
Check *www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

Also, if I remember correctly, sometimes cabinets have rear 2.0 ports and front 1.1 ports...

Arun

OP
webgenius

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
Check *www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

Also, if I remember correctly, sometimes cabinets have rear 2.0 ports and front 1.1 ports...

Arun
Thanks for the link. I have USB 2 ports. Checked the webpage you suggested, and got it confirmed. Also I connect my portable HDD to the rear USB ports only. Why do I get such slow transfer speeds?

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
how old is your HDD & mobo? Your friend might be using a SATA HDD while yours might be IDE. HDDs may also become slower as they get old, however I'm not sure of this.

AFAIK processor & RAM do not have much to do while transferring data, so that doesn't matter much.

OP
webgenius

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
how old is your HDD & mobo? Your friend might be using a SATA HDD while yours might be IDE. HDDs may also become slower as they get old, however I'm not sure of this.

AFAIK processor & RAM do not have much to do while transferring data, so that doesn't matter much.
HDD is rather a new one. Bought a Seagate SATA2 250GB HDD two years back. Bought Mobo also during the same time. It's a Biostar mobo.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Then may be your USB is fauty. check it any other device if the performance difference is simlar. i had once experienced a similar problem only to find out that the USB port I was using was faulty and there was no problem with other ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom