TP Link modem advice****MOST URGENT****

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Dear Friends,

I accidentally spilled Limca on my TP Link modem :( What an idiot I am. Can you please suggest a good modem by TP Link? The budget is 1500/- Also is it true that more antennas truly extend the range of the wifi signals? I was planning to build a gaming pc and modem, ups, speakers etc. were not on the purchase list but all of them are giving up day by day :cry:

P.S. check the attached photo only the first three lights of the modem glows. Nothing happens when we press the reset button. Pressed it for like 60 seconds. Is there any way that I can rectify this till the time I order a new one?

*i68.tinypic.com/2gwxhk2.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Does lan works?can you open its settings page(192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1)?

Well the lan light brightens up when I connect a lan and that's about it. Can't open the router's admin page. The soft drink was on the chip or whatever it is, I cleaned it with a cloth but the result was the same-
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hostin

Can it be rectified?

If not then please suggest a TP-Link modem, budget 1500/- If it has the below two features in this range then great-
1. Blocking of total internet connection of lan connected and wifi connected devices via MAC address.
2. Controlling the bandwidth, it is called QoS feature as per this thread-
*forum.digit.in/software-q/197264-manage-internet-connections-through-modem-5.html

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
You can buy the same model again(W8968 I am assuming based on design in pics).

So, it is trash now, eh? The model is TD-W8951ND and I think that it has been discontinued. Is there any good model which fulfills both the requirements that I have stated above? [MENTION=105611]bssunilreddy[/MENTION]
Reddy Ji, please suggest from which site should get a new one and which one?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
TP-Link W8968 has all the features of 8951 plus 3g usb modem support(check tp-link site for supported models,many are supported),EWAN port(can be used for cable broadband connections like sifi,hathway etc) & usb storage/printer support(access pen drive/portable hdd/printer connected to modem by any connected device).

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
TP-Link W8968 has all the features of 8951 plus 3g usb modem support(check tp-link site for supported models,many are supported),EWAN port(can be used for cable broadband connections like sifi,hathway etc) & usb storage/printer support(access pen drive/portable hdd/printer connected to modem by any connected device).
Thanks dear. Will check it later. Does it support limiting bandwidth to connected devices?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes,along with MAC filtering.Also QoS(quality of service,means prioritize certain traffic over another.e.g.if skype call is going on then give priority to it over torrent so torrent speed may fluctuate) feature is different from bandwidth control feature,almost all modems/routers have QoS but not bandwidth control which is more commonly found in routers(W8968 has it as it is both modem+router device with its EWAN feature).

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Water and sugar would have already done the damage...still if you want to give it a try...try cleaning it using IPA (Iso Propyl Alcohol) cleaner.
IPA cleaners are usually available for 60 - 80 Rs a bottle in local electronics markets.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Yes,along with MAC filtering.Also QoS(quality of service,means prioritize certain traffic over another.e.g.if skype call is going on then give priority to it over torrent so torrent speed may fluctuate) feature is different from bandwidth control feature,almost all modems/routers have QoS but not bandwidth control which is more commonly found in routers(W8968 has it as it is both modem+router device with its EWAN feature).
Thanks I will check the same and get back to you.
Water and sugar would have already done the damage...still if you want to give it a try...try cleaning it using IPA (Iso Propyl Alcohol) cleaner.
IPA cleaners are usually available for 60 - 80 Rs a bottle in local electronics markets.
Thanks for replying. Is there any brand name of the same? I just came back from some computer shop and the guy over there said the screen cleaner solutions/Colin etc are like ipa's. They had no idea what IPA stands for BTW.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Colin is not IPA It can have water base in it! If you spray Colin on electronic circuits they will be gone in no time. Colin is only for glass & such surface.
The IPA cleaner one I usually pick from local electronics market does not have any brand name as such. However it should come with IPA written clearly on it. I have even cleaned my mobo, CPU fan with it safely. The dust and residue dissolves in it in no time.

Some sellers on Amazon claim to have good quality IPA cleaner with them for sale. You can check out those also. It's anyways good to have one. It comes in handy when we open the cabinet of our PC and find layers of dust on components.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
[MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION]
People are saying in the comments to buy v4 of this router. How to identify which version we are ordering?
TP-Link TD-W8968 N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Router (White) - Buy TP-Link TD-W8968 N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Router (White) Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.i

It was available for Rs. 1700 under lightening deals, I wasted time to check about the hardware version and now the price has changed :(

- - - Updated - - -

Colin is not IPA It can have water base in it! If you spray Colin on electronic circuits they will be gone in no time. Colin is only for glass & such surface.
The IPA cleaner one I usually pick from local electronics market does not have any brand name as such. However it should come with IPA written clearly on it. I have even cleaned my mobo, CPU fan with it safely. The dust and residue dissolves in it in no time.

Some sellers on Amazon claim to have good quality IPA cleaner with them for sale. You can check out those also. It's anyways good to have one. It comes in handy when we open the cabinet of our PC and find layers of dust on components.

Dear is this fine-
ELECTRO SAN Iso Propyl Alcohol to Sanitize and Service Electronics MOBILE | LCD | LAPTOP (200ml): Amazon.in: Health & Personal Car

Can I clean it with the wet cloth/pad that comes with the glassguards? I bet it has alcohol. Iso or not IDK.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is written there in product details.
All-in-One Device: ADSL2+ Modem, NAT Router, Switch and Wireless N Access Point
24GHz, IEEE802.11b/g/n, up to 300Mbps data transfer rates and and version is 4
Usually when cloudtail is the seller,which is Amazon's own selling platform,one can expect latest version after few weeks/months of global launch.

P.S. cleaning - How do I clean my computer using isopropyl alcohol? - Super Use

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
It is written there in product details.

Usually when cloudtail is the seller,which is Amazon's own selling platform,one can expect latest version after few weeks/months of global launch.

P.S. cleaning - How do I clean my computer using isopropyl alcohol? - Super Use

Actually few people wrote that Cloudtail sent them older versions so that is why I asked. What is the difference between these versions? I will let you know once I receive it.

Regarding the link, can I use glass guard cleaning alcohol pad? Thanks again.
[MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION]
Dear Sir another query, say the pen drive/hdd that we insert in the modem has viruses. It won't hurt the modem but will it mess up all connected devices or only the devices that open the same? The modem is dispatched as per Amazon I need to contact the manufacturer to find out which version is it.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
The version is mentioned in the sticker on the box which has model name & serial no.Pendrive viruses are usually windows based but the OS of a modem/router is linux based so such viruses won't be able to run on autostart.

No idea about glass guard cleaning alcohol pad.I am guessing all the precautions that apply to cleaning with alcohol should be also applicable to them.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
The version is mentioned in the sticker on the box which has model name & serial no.Pendrive viruses are usually windows based but the OS of a modem/router is linux based so such viruses won't be able to run on autostart.

No idea about glass guard cleaning alcohol pad.I am guessing all the precautions that apply to cleaning with alcohol should be also applicable to them.

Sir, not able to find any version number anywhere on the sticker.

Top Bottom