Tips, Tricks & Tweaks to make your Laptop even Better!~

clinton

Blu For Life Hail Chelsea
Mine takes around 45 sec,previous used to be below 40.Its annoying to see the welcome screen staying for around 10 sec.The Win7 wait cursor(spinning blue circle) annoys me a lot!!!

OP
S

sdmaverick

Journeyman
Win7 SP1 totally sucked man!!!Uninstalled it it within minutes after installing,but still other updates have affected too.I have disabled most of the startup apps & use Ccleaner too,but none can give the old glory back....
BTW how long do u guys take to boot?

Yes, found it the hard way. The boot up time lag got to me so much that I reinstalled Windows 7 and made sure to be choosy with the updates (only security patches & essentials).

Cheers!

Alok

Adventurer
And on my PC it takes 40-42 sec. to boot.

Ontopic * While playing games on your laptop keep up performance mode in power management or connect to charger , otherwise it'll lag a lot. Cause gpu will get less power.:)

Last edited:

clinton

Blu For Life Hail Chelsea
Hey guys can High end games like Crysis 2 be run in battery mode?
I mean when i run these games on battery they lag,but once i connect to AC they run butter smooth.I have tried putting the laptop in HP mode.

Alok

Adventurer
These games need performance from your gpu and it needs power for high performance.
That why we buy reputated psu when going for a high end graphic card.

OP
S

sdmaverick

Journeyman
Hey guys can High end games like Crysis 2 be run in battery mode?
I mean when i run these games on battery they lag,but once i connect to AC they run butter smooth.I have tried putting the laptop in HP mode.

Its a fact that higher GPU processing needs AC power but it might be possible that as soon as you remove charger, the profile is switched. Go to batery settings (advanced) and change the battery mode to maximum performance from battery savings!

cheers!

Anish

Spectre
I agree with thetechfreak. I myself ruined my laptop battery when scheduling night downloads. Its better when you have a home ups and don't use the battery when working for a long time.(I mean remove the battery and run the laptop in direct power when you have a home ups).

Another tip:
When having dual boot with windows and linux, you can have a common partition (as a buffer) formatted in FAT32 filesystem to be accecible from both the OS so that you don't disturb the respective OS core files.

And since OP asks, i mention my lappie model: IBM Thinkpad SL400c.

RahulB

Journeyman
I must add that Gaming on a Laptop sucks. Consider this, my Dell XPS 1645 [ i7 740QM, 8 GB Ram, AMD 5730, 7200 RPM HDD ) can't run Battlefield 3. Why? - Dell refuses to update the Graphic Drivers for their laptops :(

OP
S

sdmaverick

Journeyman
I must add that Gaming on a Laptop sucks. Consider this, my Dell XPS 1645 [ i7 740QM, 8 GB Ram, AMD 5730, 7200 RPM HDD ) can't run Battlefield 3. Why? - Dell refuses to update the Graphic Drivers for their laptops :(

Why can't you download the latest graphic drivers from the ati website? I mean the catalyst control center? And I am running BF3 at 40fps on high settings (Asus K53SV Laptop - i7 2670qm, 8gb ddr3, 2 gb nvidia gt540m OC'd)

Cheers!

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends

Dont wait for manufacturers. Go here- AMD Graphics Drivers & Software ? Download the latest drivers for your graphics products

and get the drivers. also try this software called Game Booster to see if it helps boost performance. It has benifitted few members I have recommended :)
Game Booster 3.0 Free Download, Speed Up PC for Top Gaming Performance

RahulB

Journeyman
sdmaverick, thetechfreak thanks for the suggestions but AMD drivers don't work.. Laptop manufactures customize hardware and publish their own drivers. I downloaded stock drivers from AMD website but they don't install. Catalyst Control Center gets updated but the display driver remains the same. One solution is to hack the drivers. I did that and played BF3 like that. However it screwed my display's colors after somedays. I had to rever to the old drivers. AMD itself acknowledges this problem and says they are at the mercy of OEM's. If you have a solution please post. Eagerly waiting for your reply

Prongs298

In the zone
thanks pravinb life will never be the same again now that i have two finger scroll. really mate thanks a ton.

Gollum

Collector
i have 6gb ram in my notebook. how quick should it boot with an i3 2.2ghz and 5400hdd

i never run this on battery. laptop does not heat even while gaming. fan runs only while gaming or when i draw something.

county boots within 1 min. windows home basic score is 5.1.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
@Rahul B Did you try the Gamebooster said to use? Should boost Gaming performance a bit. is your PC bloated with Software that Dell installs?

RahulB

Journeyman
No my PC is not bloated at all, what I am saying my display driver is obsolete ( Driver Packaging Version 8.692.1-100122a-094670C-Dell ), while AMD website is at 12.1 ( 8.99x or something ), AMD stock drivers don't install

red dragon

Master troll
My family,friends,work...certainly not a laptop!Though I do have a good collection of them!

Sent from Galaxy S2

Top Bottom