Tips on Upgrading old PC

itsaashish

Broken In
I own a 3 year old desktop(not meant for gaming/hardcore applications). Its general use is work on Microsoft office, and on AutoCAD sometimes.

Recently, the computer(Windows 7) has slowed down considerably and lags most of the time on simple tasks like copying heavy files.

Can anyone suggest me on some upgrades to speed up. Is only RAM upgrades enough or do I need to add some new tech stuff.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Your computer is only as fast as its the slowest component.
There are several reasons why PC runs slow. You may have less space left on system drive. You do not have enough RAM resulting into frequent virtual memory access.
There may be unnecessary services running in the background. A virus/malware is eating CPU resources. As already mentioned above by other users, post your complete hardware & software details.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I own a 3 year old desktop(not meant for gaming/hardcore applications). Its general use is work on Microsoft office, and on AutoCAD sometimes.

Recently, the computer(Windows 7) has slowed down considerably and lags most of the time on simple tasks like copying heavy files.

Can anyone suggest me on some upgrades to speed up. Is only RAM upgrades enough or do I need to add some new tech stuff.

Check your HDD for bad sectors.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
When it does not boot does the HDD LED remains ON for extended time? If so you might have loosely fitted RAM or maybe even failing HDD.
As already mentioned by topgear run app like CrystalDiskInfo (Assuming you are running Windows) and check the HDD Health as well.

Top Bottom