Tips On Reducing Ping In Online Games?

Tobuscus

Broken In
I play this online fps game called Blacklight : Retribution and the pings i get are horrible. My ping varies from 296ms to 412ms:-D.

Does anybody know about anything i could do to decrease my ping? I use a bsnl internet connection,and i think it's because of them that my ping suddenly jumps to 400ms during the evenings.
Is there any other provider who gives better ping?

I've heard people say lowering graphics settings and getting a faster internet connection decrease ping....but this doesn't make any sense to me. Isn't ping the time it takes for ur computer and the server to respond?

Any help would be great. :)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
BSNL pings mostly suck. Give Airtel a shot.

lowering graphics settings and getting a faster internet connection decrease ping

Wrong. Ping has got no relation with graphics or speed. ISP can help you by changing the routing path of your IP, but they won't.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
geographically, we are as far as possible from US servers
physically, we are at the limits, and the chances of packet loss increases with distance
counter-intuitively, if you do have to play with far away servers, then having as many people close to the servers apart from yourself helps with the ping, so 4 US guys + 1 Indian is better than 5 Indians on a US server

OP
Tobuscus

Tobuscus

Broken In
Thanks for the advice.

But I don't think it's possible to play my game locally since it's a steam game without private servers.

I've also heard about ssh tunneling drastically reducing people's pings. Does anyone know how i can go about doing it?

Also,how much better are Airtel pings compared to Bsnl,do they suffer from network congestion during peak hours too? Are they worth the upgrade?

Thanks again :)

Reloaded

In the zone
The nearer you are to the server, better the ping. technically you can't do anything about it :wink:

Last edited:
Instead of Wifi try using LAN cable....this will get your Ping down by 70%.
And play in servers which are geographically located close to you.Avoid playing internationally.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Also,how much better are Airtel pings compared to Bsnl,do they suffer from network congestion during peak hours too? Are they worth the upgrade?

Thanks again :)

Much better most of the times. But at few places (very few), I have seen BSNL providing lower pings than Airtel. So check out first.

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
I have seen alot of airtel users complaining about erratic spikes and high pings in cs 1.6 recently. For BSNL i would advise you to test the pings before getting it. BSNL performance tends to be different in different places. When i was in bilaspur(chhattisgarh) i was damn happy with BSNL. Then i moved to lucknow and it was a completely different experience with BSNL. Ping spikes, ultra unimaginable high pings at daytime, chokes, losses and whatnot.

Top Bottom