• No, not at all

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jay4u

In the zone
MY FRIEND GOT CHEATED BY VENDOR... TIPS FOR BUYING FOR FIRST TIMERS...

Hi all,

Many people are from mumbai and of them, some visit MAHAVIR ELCTRONICS in laminton road. www.mahavir.co.in. My friend was a regular buyer from there store but then, after his last purchase he pledge to stop taking products from them.

He went to buy a new hdd, and since he is not a comp pro, he didnot went, with research and depend on their information. He asked for a seagate SATA II hdd with 200 GB. The dealer handed him a sata 7200.7 hdd with 200 GB for 3950 Rs. My friend argued that this is SATA and SATA II but he assured him and told that he will take it back if unsatisfied.

After checking on seagate's website and doing the research my friend went back and asked for a return and desired to buy SATA II model ST3160812AS GB. He told me that he need to cut 350 Rs. as he had to pay some taxes and VAT. My friend warned that he will stop buying from him, then the dealer said he will waive it off, and was willing to sell him the SATA II for a price of 3850 Rs. When my friend asked him why should he pay Rs. 3850 when i can get it for Rs. 3500, he said either take or leave..... Suddenly his body language and tone turn hostile....My friend paid him 350 bucks and got his money refunded.

A note for all you casual buyers and first timers...... Please follow the following rules while buying stuff from market......

1. Never go without a first hand research. Atleast a casual google search will give you enough info.

2. Better take a friend who can act as AGENT 001 for you at the place, and tip him off witha nice lunch (wont cost you much)

3. Try out 5-6 shops for the price. Ask questions to them, if not entertained, leave, its their loss and not yours.

4. Dont bank on their review, as their prime motive is to sell and secondary motive is to sell where the margins are higher.

5. Insist on a unopened package. Never take gauranteed that wht they give may be new.

6. Check for the manufacturing date. If its say 2-3 months old please insist on a newer product.

7. Once you purchased the item, open the box in front of the shop keeper and look for all the accessories that came with it. If missing or broken/scratch insist on a new product.

8. Get detail info about the warranty period and check it on the product or in the product's website. Also ask whether they we get it serviced for you or you will have to carry it to the service center.

9. Get the service center details from them. If they dont give, as they pretend to be busy, go to the next best shop possible.

10. Ask for a genuine bill, rather that their kuchha bill, which they do to save VAT and taxes.

11. A lot of first time buyers, feel rather not confident and hence are easily cheated and/or looted by the shopkeepers. Hence always go with a person who knows the stuff well.

12. Many a times, the shopkeepers do suggest a similiar product and tell that they will take it back if not liked by us, but often they cut money when we ask for refund, or increase the money and adjust it from our subsequent purchases (like the above case). So better to delay than to waste your precious money.

13. also product model number plays an important role. Like we have so many different instances of 6600 graphics card where the range between the cheapest and the costliest one would be 3000 to 4000 bucks. Hence pay attention to the model number well.

I guess this list will help the first times and casual buyers, also i invite other forum members to contribute and moderator to make this post a sticky.

Last edited:

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
@jay4u
Hey u there this was a good info for first time buyers....
it was of no use for me cuz now im used to lamington rd....
But then too i have voted it Fully correct coz it tends to first time buyers.
I now every possible tricks they play.....
heres one more....
DO PAY ATTENTION TO THEM WHEN THEY ARE CHECKING THE PRODUCT FOR ITS AVAILABILITY ON INTERCOMP.....
They usually tell us abt 100 - 200 Rs extra....
and heres one excuse to get rid of them when u feel tht they r looting u...
"BOSS bahut BHOOk laggi hein, THODA NASTA karke ata hon..!!!!!!"

magnet

Youngling
jay i didnt understood wht u try to say.....at some place u say your frnd went...and then say the dealer handed u the drive,........he need to cut??????wht does it mean...he was said to pay xtra...or the drive rate is 300rs less(which i think is not possible)

btw the prercautions point is good and i think ill pm this link to deep or other mod.....and try to mak a sticky topic...regarding saving users frm gettin cheated by dealers.......

also i must say...regardin comp hardware...always do research.......and then buy......and never..i mean never-ever...buy a product...which dealer say is best...and will get back if u hav prob

regardin hdd.........no dealer provide hdd service...u need to get the details of service centre frm them......always ask while buying any product..wht if i get problem with stuff....they will say u have service centre here......but wont tak responsibility........

my experince.......
comp selection-lamington

i went to buy compro tv tuner.......it was good but fm version was missin...and then dealer pushed.....me asus stuff....with fm..i said no...then good words.we will tak bak......as i hav bought lcd,xpensive ram...i thght dealer was trying to b frndly..i bought it for 700 buks xtra......

next day i tried..it worked lik charm
next day suddenly all option lik tv fm were disable.. frm morning 7 till evening 4 non stop.......i remove drivers uninstall stuffs etc.....but it refused to work.....

next day i went to dealer...and he politely showed me the road to service centre.........whose torture is another 1 month long story.....

o/p:::i havent used the tv tuner...for mor than 1 day....wasted 3.4k.......but most importantly many precious day of my short life......

OP
jay4u

jay4u

In the zone
magnet said:
jay i didnt understood wht u try to say.....at some place u say your frnd went...and then say the dealer handed u the drive,........he need to cut??????wht does it mean...he was said to pay xtra...or the drive rate is 300rs less(which i think is not possible)

btw the prercautions point is good and i think ill pm this link to deep or other mod.....and try to mak a sticky topic...regarding saving users frm gettin cheated by dealers.......

also i must say...regardin comp hardware...always do research.......and then buy......and never..i mean never-ever...buy a product...which dealer say is best...and will get back if u hav prob

regardin hdd.........no dealer provide hdd service...u need to get the details of service centre frm them......always ask while buying any product..wht if i get problem with stuff....they will say u have service centre here......but wont tak responsibility........

my experince.......
comp selection-lamington

i went to buy compro tv tuner.......it was good but fm version was missin...and then dealer pushed.....me asus stuff....with fm..i said no...then good words.we will tak bak......as i hav bought lcd,xpensive ram...i thght dealer was trying to b frndly..i bought it for 700 buks xtra......

next day i tried..it worked lik charm
next day suddenly all option lik tv fm were disable.. frm morning 7 till evening 4 non stop.......i remove drivers uninstall stuffs etc.....but it refused to work.....

next day i went to dealer...and he politely showed me the road to service centre.........whose torture is another 1 month long story.....

o/p:::i havent used the tv tuner...for mor than 1 day....wasted 3.4k.......but most importantly many precious day of my short life......
thanks, would like to see this thread as a sticky where all share experiences about theirs at such purchases, which will eventuallly help out the first time buyers..... And forgive my grammartical mistake, as i am not used to write such big posts, anyways i have corrected them......

tuxfan

Technomancer
Nice and informative post, especially for the newbies. IMO if you don't understand the intricacies, don't go to buy at all and hand over the matter to a truted friend/relative. There are hardly any "trusted shops" at Lamington Road. The more you trust them, the more they cheat you. :| If you go to a shop regularly, they cheat you more.

@magnet, Deep and company has resigned from moderatorship quite some time back and went to techspot.in Now there are only 2 mods here - raaabo and fatbeing. :)

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
That's why I give credit to the digit forum for all my hardware knowledge. I had begun to browse the forum from January 2005 and since then whatever little I learnt from here have been put to good use. I will share some experiences of buying when I had very little hardware knowledge.

-The biggest rip-off was that when one dealer here in Kolkata sold me a PCI version of the XFX Geforce 5200. I had asked for the AGP 8X version. It was back in July 2004 and I was desperately wanting to get rid of my on-baord graphics in Intel 845GV. I had bought some games but it ran pathetically on that on-board. Plus it did not have a AGP slot. (Off topic: Intel 845 was one of the worst motherboards ever built :evil:). So I asked for my upgrade options within Rs.10000. I was offered the 865GBF then but it was costly (outta my total budget). Also I was offered the FX 5600 but that too was expensive. So I settled for the FX 5200. Also after some searching which the vendor supposedly did for a few days, he offered me a board saying that it had a AGP 8X slot and the FX 5200 was compatible. That time the FX 5200 cost me Rs.4800. I was satisfied with my purchase that time. Only after about 1 year of it's use I realized that I had been ripped off. The board was a Asrock P4i45GV and it claimed that it had a AGI 8X slot, same as AGP 8X. At least that's what the dealer claimed. When analyzing with rivatuner only I saw that the card was PCI. But then it was too late. Plus he sold me a 64-bit version of the card! I had wasted my hard earned money on pieces of junk.

-The second is not exactly a rip-off. I guess the shop owner did not have the distributorship of Benq. So he told me that Benq DVD-writers are the worst and they also have service problems here when I enquired about DVD-writers last month. Most shops told me the same thing. Good that I knew something about this topic from here. Otherwise they were trying to sell me LG/Samsung, not even Sony!!! At last I got the Sony DRU 820A and now I am quite happy with it.

-When I had bought the new components for my AMD based machine last february, I had visited some shops including Tirupati Enterprises, Bowbazar who claimed that they were the official distributors of MSI and Leadtek in Kolkata. I had asked for the Leadtek 6800GS extreme and I was told that they normally do not keep such expensive cards and I need to give some advance for that. Anyway, the point is, after that I was asked in which board I want to attach this card. I replied that I wanted the Asus A8N-E. Then they offered me the MSI RS480 saying that it was better and cheaper than the A8N-E. But again, from this forum I knew that the best board within 6k is the one I got now, the A8N-E. The point, again is, the shopkeeper would have sold the MSI board to anyone not so technically sound saying that the card would be compatible with that. But I was not falling for that.

-The last one I would like to mention was that when I bought my first machine using my dad's money way back in 1999. I was then offered some choices with PIII 450 and Celeron 400. I do not know if I was mad then but I had got a branded machine from a company called Vintron with Celeron 400, 32MB SDRAM, 4.3GB HDD, and Sis 6326 4MB AGP card!!! And that too for a whopping Rs.42000 including the printer. The PIII 450 machine was only 2k more expensive. We had bought it because the shopkeeper sold us that saying that the offer contained many free goodies like y2k compliant (what!!! :(( ), 2-3 VCD's, etc.

Just posting my experiences through the years...

OP
jay4u

jay4u

In the zone
tuxfan said:
Nice and informative post, especially for the newbies. IMO if you don't understand the intricacies, don't go to buy at all and hand over the matter to a truted friend/relative. There are hardly any "trusted shops" at Lamington Road. The more you trust them, the more they cheat you. :| If you go to a shop regularly, they cheat you more.

@magnet, Deep and company has resigned from moderatorship quite some time back and went to techspot.in Now there are only 2 mods here - raaabo and fatbeing. :)

Thanks for the info... even i thought that deep is a moderator... And by the way... team members.... keep your experiences coming.... even i am getting to know how deep this topic can go..... what i wrote off is just the tip of the iceberg.....

Last edited:

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
I always go to the company's web site and get all the details and then go to L.R and get everything.

OP
jay4u

jay4u

In the zone
reddragon said:
and DONT bye anything from this shop also its in tara-temple road and its name is mangalik computers

dude the shop about which i said is at topiwala lane and its called mahavir electronics. And btw, wht abt mangalik computers, have you been cheated there / had an unfair deal...... do tell....

magnet

Youngling
yup i pm deep...and he did mentioned that..i pm the admin...but i guess.......they still are no more interested in such imp stuff....

btw.....tux i do agree with u...the mor u trust the mor u get cheated.....

so i too m trying to increase my dealer buying base.........
presently

1:::comp selection

2::: pc guide

3::: prime abgb(never ever has the stuff when i want..and also quote 200-300 buks higher than other)

modera electronics........next to pc guide.....dealer hardly know abt tech stuff.....when i asked for sata 2 drive price he stated me sata 1 one........also told me if i want to check i have to buy it.........i refused stating...if its not the 1 why shd i buy.....

also this shree semiconductors are big cheaters...they charge u seeing wht u r dressed....always quoted me price higher of stuffs..never bought ny stuff xcept thermal paste......which we get for 25...guy charged me 40....

digitized....i pitty u but ppl shd do thorough net check before buying stuffs

note:::btw guy it might look to b advertisment...but i m a member of another group which has better handling of stuffs,forum maintained...and even more tech guided pplthan digit........u guys can have a look there...

techenclave......do google search on it....

digiFriend

In the zone
most people have bad experiences for buying hardware. even after buying our product, delars behave as they are doing flavor to us. just see there facial expression ,when we go complain of not working,or warranty issue. even if company is giving warranty they behave rudely.
one hard lesson: spent few more rupees and buy only from VERY REPUTED SHOP. ask you friends about that shop before buying.
and don't go buying by company warranty either.
earlier what i have written about seagate 5 year warranty( informtion given to me was by 2 computer delar when i went for harddisk buying. ) any one buying seagate harddisk please clarify it warranty issue.
all warranty issue are tricky as mobile phone and credit card billing.

Last edited:

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
magnet said:
digitized....i pitty u but ppl shd do thorough net check before buying stuffs

Ya, at that time I did not about digit forum :( and consequently I did not have much technical knowledge. Went by what the dealer told me. Now, if people have observed, if I want to buy something, I always post it here to get your valuable opinions. One recent example was that of my purchase of the DVD-writer. I shortlisted Benq, and since I did not get it, people here told me about sony. So I bought sony. Otherwise dealers would have sold me LG/Samsung and people here had warned me against it.

OP
jay4u

jay4u

In the zone
magnet, digifriend thanks for the info.... and magnet, even i pm to both the admins, but seems like they do not bother anymore. They cant even reply to my post requesting to make this thread a sticky..... Atleast they could have said a simple NO..... are you hearing mods....????

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
Sorry for interuption....
BUT wht i feel is tht mentioning shops NAME here wuld be unfair.....
IF u want to opose them then just PM eachother.....
imagine the shopkepper itself is on this forum n reading this stuff.....
This wuld be dangerous for forum also.....
So i request u guys to edit ur post.....

Wht i feel is tht this is a good thread... n shld not be locked...
if any one is interested to the names of the shop then just PM the host of this thread.....

magnet

Youngling
ymhatre..........wht dangerous...............

we r mentioning the truth.........and if digit removes our comments...then wht the purpose of forum....forum is for sharing knowledge.............if u gt cheated ...help other to get saved.......also sharing on pm only jay and i will know but wht abt others.........they might get fooled........its better dealers try to giv best stuff rather than cheating

jus 1 stuff i want to mention....guys frm forum which i mentioned above bought 8 graphic cards...directly fm company based outside.......they paid all taxes and the deal came to ard 29k per card...which the company was selling at ard 34k for single card with all tax cuts.......
now same company card that too not this version an earlier version...is being sold here for 45k............now c a complete profit of more than 16k..........that too of an old version card......why they dont bring new stuffs here early...........and keep fooling ppl.....this all stuff giv rise to hera panna type market......which sells electronic stuffs with least knowledge but less price than them

btw jay chances of this remaining sticky will b less...unless the forum is more friendly(worried abt technical user) and professional.....

its better ppl keep this topic alive and post there histories of transaction and not spam.......

and yup digitized......u r luky.........i have benq...if i wouldnt had got it....i would had gone for sony.......but sony probs is they mak 2 stuffs...1 is box pack which is xpensive then others...........and other they make through a distributor lite on which r cheap and u get without box......when they doesnt work ppl say sony suks.....

so now little mor knowledge u added......

this info i got frm keith ard a yr bak here when i was new

Last edited:

magnet

Youngling
digifriend i think its against..i ask some more guys regarding seagate stuff and will come to u....but chek the site warranty faq...nothin of that sort is written

digiFriend

In the zone
magnet said:
digifriend i think its against..i ask some more guys regarding seagate stuff and will come to u....but chek the site warranty faq...nothin of that sort is written
thanks for your sugestion ...............................

OP
jay4u

jay4u

In the zone
ymhatre said:
Sorry for interuption....
BUT wht i feel is tht mentioning shops NAME here wuld be unfair.....
IF u want to opose them then just PM eachother.....
imagine the shopkepper itself is on this forum n reading this stuff.....
This wuld be dangerous for forum also.....
So i request u guys to edit ur post.....

Wht i feel is tht this is a good thread... n shld not be locked...
if any one is interested to the names of the shop then just PM the host of this thread.....

dude, i do not know whether taking names of shops are fair or unfair, but i would like hear experiences from other people and from which shops they had..... I think that if we can easily critize companies like seagate or maxtor, then we can easily do for shops..... All we are doing is putting our experiences across so that other poeple can see it..... nothing like discouraging anything......

And yes i know that this thread wont be a sticky... but i am glad of those experiences the other members had shared with me and others......thinkdigit is not anymore the same as it used to be.... Lucky enough the magzine is still worth its money.....

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
Ok If digit dont hav any problem then who am i to interupt.....
I just wanted this thread not to locked....
Infact this thread shld be made sticky.....
so enjoy sharing ur experiences.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom