time scheduler for torrent files

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinesh_mettur

Journeyman
i've a bsnl 2mbps connection which facilitates unlimited free download from midnight 2 to 6.
I have Internet Download Manager which has the time scheduler good for only direct downloads...
now my question is...for torrent downloads which torrent manager has the facility of time scheduling..
i use bit torrent and i cud not find any such scheduling options...
so i need your suggestion guyz...
thanx in advance...

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I don't do torrent downloads myself but someone else in my family does. I know he has a sheduler but I don't remember the name. He's asleep now and his computer is turned off. I'll probably be able to tell you tomorrow unless someone else has provided the info by then.

What I know is that the scheduler is a trial version but it seemed to work even after the trial period was over.

However, BSNL in my area still has not corrected the flaw in their usage meter. It continues counting usage as chargeable even after 2 am unless the connection is reset. So the sheduler is useless for us, and I usually reset my connection right after 2 am.

Krazy Bluez

Banned to Spam
There are many tutorials in the digit forum itself....try searching in the tutorials section and you'll get the answer....BTW i use "Wake up on standby/hibernate" software which is nice and does the work very easily...get it here..*www.dennisbabkin.com/php/download.php?what=WOSB

tkin

Back to school!!
i've a bsnl 2mbps connection which facilitates unlimited free download from midnight 2 to 6.
I have Internet Download Manager which has the time scheduler good for only direct downloads...
now my question is...for torrent downloads which torrent manager has the facility of time scheduling..
i use bit torrent and i cud not find any such scheduling options...
so i need your suggestion guyz...
thanx in advance...
Use uTorrent
Go to options-preferences-schedular.

amitash

Intel OCer
^There is bug in BSNL broadband...If you dont reset your modem after 2 in the night, u will still be carged dload

tkin

Back to school!!
^There is bug in BSNL broadband...If you dont reset your modem after 2 in the night, u will still be carged dload
But I have faced no such probs as of yet, I switch the modem on at 11P.M(when I go to sleep), my bat files and windows task scheduler takes care of the rest.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
The problem is not with starting a scheduled download. It's the way BSNL records usage. They seem to meter usage in time blocks. If the block starts at 1:55 am and lasts for 2 hours, your usage up to 3:55 will be counted as chargeable even if you start downloading at, say, 2:01 am. This is not theory. I've often seen it listed this way in my usage record on their website. This is why I usually reset my modem at a few minutes past 2:00 am.

To the OP and tkin: Yes, uTorrent has a scheduler. You don't need a separate tool for scheduling downloads. For a moment, I confused it with an auto-shutdown utility. Sorry. What I was thinking of was a small program for shutting down the computer just before 8:00 am.

Krazy Bluez

Banned to Spam
^ Yup, you're right...that's why I have to stay till late night only to reset the modem...using bridged mode now...

tkin

Back to school!!
The problem is not with starting a scheduled download. It's the way BSNL records usage. They seem to meter usage in time blocks. If the block starts at 1:55 am and lasts for 2 hours, your usage up to 3:55 will be counted as chargeable even if you start downloading at, say, 2:01 am. This is not theory. I've often seen it listed this way in my usage record on their website. This is why I usually reset my modem at a few minutes past 2:00 am.

To the OP and tkin: Yes, uTorrent has a scheduler. You don't need a separate tool for scheduling downloads. For a moment, I confused it with an auto-shutdown utility. Sorry. What I was thinking of was a small program for shutting down the computer just before 8:00 am.
I don't think that's true, once I downloaded a 300MB XP SP3 setup from 1:50 to 2:30AM and the next day I saw I was only charged for the download from 1:50-1:59 AM, the rest was cut out(was charged for only 60MB, at 100KB/s it comes out as 10mins), so the time block is probably just a myth.

Try it out yourself, switch modem on at 1:30AM, then download a small software(10-15MB) from 2:15-2:20AM, then the next day check out how much you've been charged, if my theory is correct then you should be charged for 0MB, make sure to connect to the net(pppoe dialer) after 2:00 AM, otherwise windows update or antivirus update may add to the download before 2:00AM.

EDIT- The automatic connection to internet with bat files and task scheduler does not work for Bridged mode, pppoe mode is required, that's why pppoe rocks, if having trouble keeping awake at 2:00AM try going back to pppoe mode, very handy.

P.S-You can automatically shutdown using bat files as well, the command is shutdown -f for forced shutdown.

Last edited:

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
^^ orly???

Code:
rasdial connectionname username@dataone password
rasdial /disconnect connectionname

...and there was light.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I don't think that's true, once I downloaded a 300MB XP SP3 setup from 1:50 to 2:30AM and the next day I saw I was only charged for the download from 1:50-1:59 AM, the rest was cut out(was charged for only 60MB, at 100KB/s it comes out as 10mins), so the time block is probably just a myth.

Try it out yourself, switch modem on at 1:30AM, then download a small software(10-15MB) from 2:15-2:20AM, then the next day check out how much you've been charged, if my theory is correct then you should be charged for 0MB, make sure to connect to the net(pppoe dialer) after 2:00 AM, otherwise windows update or antivirus update may add to the download before 2:00AM.
I'm a patient, methodical type. The things I said in the previous post were not theory or guesswork or rumour. They are based on systematic observation of my usage records, compared with what I do online at those times.

I'm not the only one who has observed this. I occasionally saw other users mention it in the forum. I also read someone mention some time ago that BSNL has solved the problem. Maybe they have done so in certain areas, but the problem is certainly still present in other places.

I don't really have to try out your suggestion because I have done much more thorough tests before. For instance, take a look at the screenshot below, especially the first two rows.

*img90.imageshack.us/img90/4303/dec08.jpg

That night, another member of the family had set the uTorrent scheduler to start from 2:05 am on his computer and I forgot to reset my connection because I was watching TV (this was before I told him not to use the scheduler anymore).

He had long gone to bed and I was watching TV, so neither of us was doing anything on the internet for more than an hour before 2 am. Yet, you can see that I was charged for 302766 KB between 1:26:14 and 2:26:43 am. This was entirely due to the Torrent d/l after 2 am.

This was not an isolated incident. It happened at other times before I took some precautions, and it happens to other people too.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
First of all yes. BSNL has a habit of charging for downloads after 2:00 am. How do I know? I have the same plan. What you want to do is start your downloads at 2:30 or 3:00 . I have all my torrents timed for after 3:00 . I don't reset my PC or restart my router or anything. My torrnets get turned off at 7:30 .

On my Linux box I use Azureus and Deluge and on my Windows box I use uTorrent. Each has their schedulers.

Also I'd like to mention I've only seen downloads being charged upto the first 30 -45 minutes after 2:00 and definitely not after that regardless of when the download was started.

tkin

Back to school!!
I'm a patient, methodical type. The things I said in the previous post were not theory or guesswork or rumour. They are based on systematic observation of my usage records, compared with what I do online at those times.

I'm not the only one who has observed this. I occasionally saw other users mention it in the forum. I also read someone mention some time ago that BSNL has solved the problem. Maybe they have done so in certain areas, but the problem is certainly still present in other places.

I don't really have to try out your suggestion because I have done much more thorough tests before. For instance, take a look at the screenshot below, especially the first two rows.

*img90.imageshack.us/img90/4303/dec08.jpg

That night, another member of the family had set the uTorrent scheduler to start from 2:05 am on his computer and I forgot to reset my connection because I was watching TV (this was before I told him not to use the scheduler anymore).

He had long gone to bed and I was watching TV, so neither of us was doing anything on the internet for more than an hour before 2 am. Yet, you can see that I was charged for 302766 KB between 1:26:14 and 2:26:43 am. This was entirely due to the Torrent d/l after 2 am.

This was not an isolated incident. It happened at other times before I took some precautions, and it happens to other people too.
I think you use Bridged mode, that could be a problem as I mentioned, resetting the modem in Bridged mode is same as disconnecting and reconnecting to the internet using the PPPOE dialer.

Also your Dataone interface is a bit different than mine, I am from the 59.xx range, in my area(kolkata) this problem is not present, I've done multiple tests and have not seen any such issues.

My bat files connect to the net at 2:01 AM and disconnect at 7:59AM, uTorrent starts at 2:05AM and shuts off at 8:00AM.

Look here; *img24.imageshack.us/img24/9821/bbd.png
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
You're still missing the point. Those usages you've highlighted started AFTER 2:00 am. No one has any problem with those. The problem arises when a user is continuously online from BEFORE 2:00 am, THROUGH 2 am and continues to use it after 2 am.

I think you use Bridged mode, that could be a problem as I mentioned, resetting the modem in Bridged mode is same as disconnecting and reconnecting to the internet using the PPPOE dialer.
No, I do not use Bridged mode. I use PPPoE.

Also your Dataone interface is a bit different than mine, I am from the 59.xx range, in my area(kolkata) this problem is not present, I've done multiple tests and have not seen any such issues.
I've said before that BSNL seems to have implemented a correction in certain areas, but not in others. Why can't you accept that?

Anyway, they may have solved the problem at your server, but you screenshot is meaningless as proof of that. Why? Because you went online after 2 am in each case and metering starts afresh from that moment. I and many others use that method.

The point of this discussion is that BSNL should automatically stop adding usage to the chargeable portion from 2:00 am onwards even if the user stays online through 2 am.

My bat files connect to the net at 2:01 AM and disconnect at 7:59AM, uTorrent starts at 2:05AM and shuts off at 8:00AM.
The point is that we should not have to go to the trouble of resetting our connection, either manually or with a batch file. It should be a simple matter for BSNL to provide that function in the way they meter usage. That's the whole point.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
^Everyone understood your post, but no one seems to be pointing out what you are actually doing(seems like that). BSNL charges you if you use BEFORE 2.00. I had the same problem and I had set my modem to "Always on" so it keeps the connection alive, even if you switch OFF YOUR COMPUTER. Which modem are you using? On my MT882, there is an option to set the time out period, where the connection is terminated after 5 minutes, if there is no activity. This applies if my system is switched on or off. Here's a screenshot

*img13.imageshack.us/img13/133/wansetx.th.jpg

In case your modem supports this time out period, set it as above. Also, go through this tutorial, it'll help :D *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26732

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
^Everyone understood your post,
No, not everyone did. Neither you nor tkin at which my previous post was addressed.

I am not looking for a solution to a personal problem. I have no real problem. I'm familiar with Windows Task Scheduler, batch files, BIOS power management, etc etc., but I don't really have to use them because I stay up beyond 2:00 am practically every night.

What I have been trying to do is to point out the flaw in BSNL's metering system and to warn new BSNL BB users about it.

Also, go through this tutorial, it'll help :D *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26732
Nice Tutorial. Should be useful for many members. But what I have been trying to say all this time is that BSNL should not make it necessary for their customers to use those methods.

With their dial-up service, the free period is from 11 pm to 8 am. They automatically stop charging usage during that period even if you stay online from, say, 10 pm to 9 am. They should make it as simple as that for BB too.

tkin

Back to school!!
No, not everyone did. Neither you nor tkin at which my previous post was addressed.

I am not looking for a solution to a personal problem. I have no real problem. I'm familiar with Windows Task Scheduler, batch files, BIOS power management, etc etc., but I don't really have to use them because I stay up beyond 2:00 am practically every night.

What I have been trying to do is to point out the flaw in BSNL's metering system and to warn new BSNL BB users about it.

Nice Tutorial. Should be useful for many members. But what I have been trying to say all this time is that BSNL should not make it necessary for their customers to use those methods.

With their dial-up service, the free period is from 11 pm to 8 am. They automatically stop charging usage during that period even if you stay online from, say, 10 pm to 9 am. They should make it as simple as that for BB too.
You're missing the entire point, I actually started posting because you in a previous post said you needed to reset the modem("This is why I usually reset my modem at a few minutes past 2:00 am."), which as you know is not necessary for pppoe mode, all you need to do is reset the connection(pppoe) using bat files.

I know the flaw with BSNL servers, if you establish a connection(pppoe) before 2:00AM you may be charged upto 2:30(that's why I connect @ 2:01AM).

However, you can keep your modem connected all day long, just reset the connection @ 2:01AM and 7:59AM.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
You're missing the entire point, I actually started posting because you in a previous post said you needed to reset the modem
You're misquoting me. I never said that it was necessary to reset the modem. What I said was that the connection has to be reset.

("This is why I usually reset my modem at a few minutes past 2:00 am."),
This was the only time I mentioned resetting the modem. I said I usually reset my modem, not that everyone has to reset their modem. I was describing what I do, not what everyone has to do. In all other places, I talked about resetting the connection. I also acknowledged that there are different ways of doing that.

which as you know is not necessary for pppoe mode, all you need to do is reset the connection(pppoe) using bat files.
Where did I say that it is necessary to reset the modem? Stop implying that I said things I did not say. I could have also said that it is not necessary to use a batch file, but I didn't because I know that's one way of getting the job done. Reseting the modem is another way. Nowhere did I say that the modem HAS to be reset. I described my way of doing it while acknowledging that there are other ways.

Resetting the modem is the most suitable method for me since I always stay up past 2:00 am anyway. Nowhere did I say or imply that it's the only way, or the best way for everyone.

I know the flaw with BSNL servers, if you establish a connection(pppoe) before 2:00AM you may be charged upto 2:30(that's why I connect @ 2:01AM).
That's still not quite accurate because BSNL does not have a fixed time after which they stop counting chargeable usage. I have noticed that, unless the connection is reset, the chargeable period ends at different times - 2:10, 2:26, 2:43, 2:55, 3:17, etc etc etc.

You said earlier that "the time block is probably just a myth." I call it a time block because I don't know what they call it. But whatever the name, it's a fact, not a myth. The block starts at seemingly random times and often (but not always) ends after a block of half an hour, one hour, 2 hrs, and so on. It probably has something to do with when and how their server assigns a user's dynamic IP address, channels pathways and distributes bandwidth.

However, you can keep your modem connected all day long, just reset the connection @ 2:01AM and 7:59AM.
That's what I do and it's what I've been saying all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom