The 'Underdog' Games....list 'em please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamefreak14

Journeyman
By 'underdog' games....I refer to games which never got their due...inspite of the stellar reviews and gameplay. Do list games which you've found to be truly spectacular inspite of being commercial duds. I list mine here....
1. Tron 2.0 - A beautiful RPG cum FPS which ran on the Lithtech engine. Excellent story, graphics and addictive gameplay.
2. Freedom Fighters - This one never made it big, inspite of having the best orchestral score for any game till date IMHO.
3. Thief 3 : Deadly Shadows - The best of the thief series, innovative gameplay and storyline never made it big.
4. Vampire : The Masquerade Redemption - Based on the source engine, this FPS cum RPG made by developer Troika could be considered a flop, now that the company is gonna shut shop.

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
I agree with you on "Freedom Fighters". A really superb game. I wonder why I didn't I try this earlier. One of the best gaming experiences I ever had. A refreshing story line. Some great 3rd person shooting action. An alternate future setting. Truly the marks of a runaway success. Sad!
As for the score, Jespyer Kyd is a master! I would suggest fans of this game to download the game's theme music from its website. Truly remarkable.

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
Well I remember a "StarGunner" from Apogee which was a DosGame!!!

It was quite good!!!

If anyone has a link to its demo or full version please provide....

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
hmmm...i would say aliens vs predator 2...i dont think it got the credit it deserved...(correct me if im wrong) its a gr8 game.....and any1 who loved doom3 will definitely love avp2...the graphics r awesome considering it's such an old game....and 3 diff game modes...awesome game...good multiplayer too....

satanlives

Journeyman
amm dude i think freedom fighter got all the attention it deserved man awesome game played on low end systems as well i mean cmon if it was a hit in smal town like vizag where most ppl think that 4mx 440 is a highend card :)) .. ;)

Hey for me i guess Unreal 2 didnt really get what it deserved even the ratings for it were not what the game deserved. It was an awesome game with cool grafix and awesome storyline and really fun gameplay .. i loved the game finsished it twice :p dunno why the reviews were so bad for it:p

vysakh

Padawan
BROKEN SWORD : THE SLEEPING DRAGON

Its a single player RPG adventure game. The graphics are not the best but the story is good. I liked it very much. Too bad nobody has a good opinion about it...

Charley

Just Do It
Clive Barker's Undying

Outstanding graphics and atmospheric sound effects make this horror-themed FPS a classic.

Grim Fandango

Great jazz soundtrack and stylized graphics in a noir adventure game.

Planescape: Torment

One of the finest story-driven RPGs.

DKant

In the zone
Deus Ex. The first time I played it, it was the story. And the 20th time that I am playing it, it's the gameplay. SHEEEER gameplay. :p

And Ion Storm's shut shop.

Life sux...

NikhilVerma

Padawan
I thought that "Freedom Fighters" was a sucessful made!!!

Damn ! It was a great game! One of my all time fav's

BTw "Clive Barker's Undying "'s graphics are not that great...

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
Yet the game is rated 9.1 on the scale and "superb" on gamespot.com. That goes on to say a lot about the game.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Nemesis said:
@satanlives: unreal 2 got buried beneath UT2003 and UT2004...i agree, it was a gr8 game....

Actually the Whole Unreal series got buried under the UT Series....First off the concept of Unreal Seemed good and unique and stuff but alas as Multiplayer And Fast Lan Action Grew it tend to Give more and More Boost to the Ut series....actually when i first started up with the Ut series was simply blown out by its pace and Gfx but till i heard about the Unreal series SIGH it didnt have much appeal then....but was fair enough :wink:

but am really lookin forward for the Unreal 3 Engine to Make it up for the series 8)

Major-Minor

Broken In
Yep Gotta agree folks, Undying was a Superb Game, I picked it up last year after reading the rave review it got at GameSpot. Really sends the chills up the spine, a true horror classic.

liquid_nitrogen88

Journeyman
No one into Strategy & city building?
Zeus-The master of Olympus remains the game 2 which i've devoted my maximum time...I went on to buy Acropolis,Ceaser,Pharaoh & Empire-The Rise of middle kingdom...But Zeus remains my favorite ....It offers tremendous replayability....i have played the same missions over n over in diff ways without gettin bored....good story lines....uncomplicated controls....minimal system req.... still love this game....

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
ctrl_alt_del said:
Tenchu:silent Assasins

What is it like? Whats the genre?
Action , play as a ninja , use stealth ,great music ,gr8 story, gr8 ending. a must play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom