The Spotify Thread

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree that they use DRM, but they will still have to use HTTP as a protocol to transfer the data to the client device (unless they are using websocket, which I highly doubt). The media to be streamed has to be stored in a CDN somewhere as a file. When streaming, it will be transferred in chunks to the client device's cache (encrypted) and decrypted on the fly for playback (in-memory decryption for security purposes). As for the format, I don't know which format Spotify uses, but any format that can be streamed can be streamed encrypted as detailed above, which means that FLAC can be streamed similarly. Storage or other factors notwithstanding.
You are right,I found this & it seems it is a mix of various factors.
Why Aren’t All Streaming Music Services “High-Definition?”
Though the article is dated 2015 & server cost point may not be as relevant today but I think the most significant factor is still this one:
This problem is compounded when attempting to get permission from a record label to offer music in a lossless format. Labels are understandably protective of their 24-bit masters, as they are a great way to establish copyright. As the gatekeepers of high-definition content, labels are choosy with who they allow to stream content beyond 320 kbps MP3.

Additionally, finding the studio-quality digital masters for every single track you want in your catalog can be difficult when you’re dealing with over 370,000 labels and 500,000 new tracks released each month.
(That’s what we handle at MediaNet for our catalog.)

Labels don’t offer a “better than CD” experience to just anyone, and if a service is deemed worthy of lossless audio, it may be required to use certain codecs, licensors, and B2B partners approved by the label. These may not be the same for each label. Each of those partnerships can require additional license fees.

@rhitwick these posts are indeed a bit offtopic but they also provide good info for future reference.e.g.the above link gave sites TIDAL, Qobuz, and Deezer Elite(seems not available for India) which offer FLAC streaming but they are costly.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
(originally second post)

Oh you are woudland! Haha difficult to keep track of so many alts for everyone.
Here are some mellow songs with soft vocals. Use this while relaxing or sleeping.
Some 90s techno/dance (the songs are all from Best Dance albums of the late 90s). This is what I listen to while gaming.
And my playlist of industrial music. This is for work.

OP
thetechfreak

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I think I'll start keeping a list of all the playlists people post in the first post along with a short description. That way they won't be lost.
Guys, I think I've unintentionally high-jacked this thread with an offtopic discussion.

If @OP thinks this is alright, let this continue, else I would stay away from commenting on this further.
Haha it's fine. Cannot discourage a good discussion on a topic.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Thanks alot for the thread would love to follow what other people are listening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I think I'll start keeping a list of all the playlists people post in the first post along with a short description. That way they won't be lost. Haha it's fine. Cannot discourage a good discussion on a topic.

Did this already in second post! Check it out

Also added playlists by Spotify, do post those here as well.
Plus, added some third party tools for spotify playlists. If anyone know of any more, do let us know (looking for something that automatically converts daily mix to playlists, though there is a way to do it manually)

Let's work on some collaborative playlists! Either just post m3us here, or recommend songs.

OP
thetechfreak

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
This weeks Spotify Mint playlist is pretty good. Better than the last few weeks : mint, a playlist by Spotify
What do you call it? 90s hits?

PS: LP is from the 00s
Something like "our childhood" or similar. It would fit quite well with songs upto 2008 or so. What do you think?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Would be teenage songs for me, but you wouldn't like the songs from when I was a edgy, angsty teen.

Edit: No one spoke about this, but how are you guys coping with the missing songs from Indian spotify? Not asking you @thetechfreak , you know why.

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
uhh... adding to the playlist as of now and hoping Warner sorts out its issues with Spotify
apparently they are using India as a bargaining chip for a better deal worldwide, and neither party is blinking. It is why Spotify took so long to become available here in the first place. (More info here)
But yeah, essentially listening to only the music that is available on Spotify, even though there are some songs that I really like that are not available, at times even in the global catalogue.

What Spotify officially says.

OP
thetechfreak

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Just bumping this thread to note that all library issues have been solved and spotify India has all songs

*www.medianama.com/2020/04/223-spotify-warner-music-linkin-park-ed-sheeran/

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Yup, issue got sorted :)
Check out Radar, all new songs from India continuously get added to that playlist. Some older songs get removed also, so, remember to save the ones you like in your own playlist.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Yup, issue got sorted :)
Check out Radar, all new songs from India continuously get added to that playlist. Some older songs get removed also, so, remember to save the ones you like in your own playlist.

How to do that any guide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doomgiver

Warframe
*open.spotify.com/playlist/3tKRJh5CESWUgcwTu8Jm62?si=llN9xKuWSraPRmtZtWcdNg
mostly retro synthwave, with electro/house to vary the pace. finishes off with a nice slow track.

i liked Suicide Music and Cycling playlists. really good pacing on the Cycling playlist.

*open.spotify.com/playlist/4jCAegZ3ZrcrLuSiqmkZQM?si=UM7lNr4zSTqi859DB48-PA
stolen and curated from @thetechfreak 's Le Clasics.

Last edited:

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Alright, I ditched the Spotify plan, but now I am in a TIDAL family plan which is better than Spotify due to hi resolution music. We have one slot open for long term. If anybody is interested let me know. It's the tidal turkey server and per person it might cost between ~50 inr per month. You can also transfer all your songs and playlists from Spotify to Tidal for free.

Top Bottom