THE QUEST 4 BEST RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

[flAsh]

In the zone
:lol: many ppl asked me bout RAM very frequently. So I thought 2 help them all in a better way:
there are 4 types of RAM:
1. SDRAM :Synchronous RAM : the slowest and oldest of all other RAMs listed below. operates at speeds of 100 n 133mhz. Used only in older PCs or mobos which do support them. hard 2 find now. has becum costlier than DDR SDRAM.
2. RD RAM : RAMBUS memory: Lighteing quick RAM which had very short life. Not outdated but can leave DDR Sdram easily behind in speed and accuracy. Developed by INTEL 2 b used with P4s. supported only by one chipset ie i850e. quick platform but high manufacturing costs made intel withdrew support from P4 market. may b still available as supported in many Xeons mobos still now. available in 800,1066Mhz variants and hard 2 find.
3. DDR SDRAM : Double Data Rate Synchronous RAM :BEST RAM in terms value and performance. Unmatched value 4 pocket and huge support. widely used in today's systems be it Intel or AMD. Available in variety of speeds from 200,266,333,400 to 433Mhz. quickly evolving. high bandwith and tons of motherboards do support these.
4. DDR2 SDRAM : latest but yet it loses to RD RAM in terms of speed and Bandwith. Intel has used it in its 925X and 915P/G chipsets. very costly currently and very limited availability and vendors throughout the country.
better than DDR SDRAM(rather its refined form removing its limitations and adding features). available in 400,533,667mhz variants. hard 2 find.

any comments are welcome

theraven

Technomancer
ddr2 not yet better than ddr
when ddr2 crosses 633mhz thats when we'll see the difference .. and a performance pick up
right now no use upgrading
if u ARE gettin the new 775 chipsets ... get the 915 .. it supports ddr and DDR2 as of now
again ... the max freq of ddr2 supported on these as of now are 600mhz ...( and 600 isnt commercially/widely available yet )
so wait till the rams pick up and new mobos are introduced

Just a Thought ;)

G

gxsaurav

DDR2 higher latency is stopping it from making market yet but it will soon

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
@ Raven its DDR2 667, and 667 modules are out but they are rare ones and plus the cost is high ! Crucial has ballistixs pc2-5300 modules ! OCZ will probably be out with DDR2 800Mhx modules by the end of the year and i guess other might follow suit ! :D

theraven

Technomancer
u mean to say the max supported is 667 or the mark where ddr2 will be better than ddr ?
as of what ive seen intel 915's support only ddr2 till 533
and asus allows use of ddr2 600 with overclockin or something ...
im just not sure if the mobos are out yet !!!
and if they come out will they be a different model name?
thats what im waiting for !!and the nforce4's !!! damn them !

OP
F

[flAsh]

In the zone
I think RD RAM which was launched by Intel (Certainly 2 earn tons of money) would hav been the best if Intel would have reduced its cost and used it in all chipsets not only in i850e.
I think Transcend, Corsair XMS, Kingston series r the overclockers dream. Crucial with its Ballastix series are also not behind. But absense of brands like KingMAX, OCZ etc. makes the price of these performance modules a way 2 high.
DDR2 rare 2 find. But if u go to Nepal or Taiwan can get it in budget (but b ready 2 b duped anytime).

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
theraven said:
u mean to say the max supported is 667 or the mark where ddr2 will be better than ddr ?
as of what ive seen intel 915's support only ddr2 till 533
and asus allows use of ddr2 600 with overclockin or something ...
im just not sure if the mobos are out yet !!!
and if they come out will they be a different model name?
thats what im waiting for !!and the nforce4's !!! damn them !

667 is the so-called mark that DDR2 will start making a difference. yeah the Mobos shud support it too ! Naming will be in the DDR2 naming convention namely pc2-5300. :)

@flash:Dude no offense but stop harping abt the RD-RAM, Intel abandoned it a long time ago and so did the consumers! However RAMBUS is onto something new the XDR- Dram. Acoording to reports, XDR has a staggering bandwidth of abt 51Gbps and i m not kidding. But like always it the market that decides which memory to adopt and which is to be dumped. On paper however XDR looks solid and menacing !

OP
F

[flAsh]

In the zone
!@flash:Dude no offense but stop harping abt the RD-RAM, Intel abandoned it a long time ago and so did the consumers! However RAMBUS is onto something new the XDR- Dram. Acoording to reports, XDR has a staggering bandwidth of abt 51Gbps and i m not kidding. But like always it the market that decides which memory to adopt and which is to be dumped. On paper however XDR looks solid and menacing !

Hey Blade r u true??? :shock:
RAMBUS is had always been quite good at innovations jst like AMD but XDR havin a staggering bandwidth of abt 51Gbps is jst very hard 2 imagine.
anyway if u r true then PC industry is certainly having a good time in RAM and GFX card area.

G

gxsaurav

the new XDR RAM (from Topshiba I guess) is a iable one for Super Computing

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
[flAsh said:
]
!@flash:Dude no offense but stop harping abt the RD-RAM, Intel abandoned it a long time ago and so did the consumers! However RAMBUS is onto something new the XDR- Dram. Acoording to reports, XDR has a staggering bandwidth of abt 51Gbps and i m not kidding. But like always it the market that decides which memory to adopt and which is to be dumped. On paper however XDR looks solid and menacing !

RAMBUS is had always been quite good at innovations jst like AMD but XDR havin a staggering bandwidth of abt 51Gbps is jst very hard 2 imagine.
anyway if u r true then PC industry is certainly having a good time in RAM and GFX card area.

Yep that true dude ! Rambus into XDR big time ! I just hope they equip these XDR chips with graphics card ! lol ! We'll never have to worry abt bandwidth !

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
blade_runner said:
Yep that true dude ! Rambus into XDR big time ! I just hope they equip these XDR chips with graphics card ! lol ! We'll never have to worry abt bandwidth !

Yeah, right! I remember someone said 640k ought to be enough! :D So, we might not have to worry about bandwidth until Quake V or the next serving from id. Even the GeForce4 cards are good enough for a very casual gamer, but try running FC on it and watch the game crawl at 1fps or worse. Heck, even the entry-level GFX cards cannot run the game decently enough :D I even read somewhere that even the latest PCI-E / GDDR3 based GPUs cant exploit Doom3 to the fullest. It would be cool if it came once its out, but for now, I still cant afford 2 gigs of DDR2. :cry: Hmm, wonder when NRAM is coming out though? :roll:

OP
F

[flAsh]

In the zone
I hav heard bout HyperMemory, a sort of memory controller which future Gen. GFX cards "ll hav that "ll allocate system memory at the x16 slot PCI-Express bandwith. this "ll not only reduce GFX cards cost 2 a high extent but also make them accessible 2 everyone. although it won't b as fast as the onboard GFX ram but "ll give commendable performance. ATi "ll use them in its future core cards. High end cards "ll continuue 2 hav onboard GFX Ram like GDDR3 etc.

AlienTech

In the zone
[flAsh said:
]paper however XDR looks solid and menacing !

anyway if u r true then PC industry is certainly having a good time in RAM and GFX card area.[/quote]

I would be surprised if this sees the light of day like any ole ram after they tried to trick everyone into paying them royalities after offering their design for everyone to use like RD-RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom