The PSPhone. Finally. :D

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Exclusive: Sony Ericsson to introduce Android 3.0 gaming platform and PSP Go-like smartphone -- Engadget

Here's what we can tell you about the hardware: if you're a gaming fan, this is exactly the kind of phone you've been waiting for. The device is described as cross between the Samsung Captivate and the PSP Go -- in other words, it's a landscape slider with game controls in place of the typical QWERTY keyboard. The D-pad is here, but instead of the small joystick, the device will have what was described as a "long touch pad" for analog controls, along with standard PSP buttons and shoulder buttons. The phone has a large display, described as being between 3.7 and 4.1 inches with WVGA or better resolution, a 5 megapixel camera that we're told might not be final, and it'll likely have a 1GHz Snapdragon CPU on board. The phone is mostly black with some silver highlights, and the gamepad area is white / silver in color. Apparently it's currently branded as a Xperia device, but it looks like it will carry PlayStation branding as well. Those who've seen the phone say it looks "pretty damn sexy." The mockup above probably doesn't do the actual hardware justice, but it should give you an idea of what you'll be dealing with.

On the software side, it looks like the device will be running Gingerbread (Android 3.0) with a phone-specific skin, and there will be a new area of the Android Market specifically for the games. That content will be initially accessible only by the halo device, but from the sounds of things, these titles might be made available to other Android phones if their specs and button layouts meet requirements. Games will be graphically in the range of PSX or PSP games, meaning true 3D gaming is headed to Android. Titles currently being shown off seem to be focused around some older PSX as well as new PSP offerings, with God of War, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, and LittleBigPlanet possibly on tap, and future plans for titles which incorporate augmented reality features.

My next device. Enjoy. :D

OP
dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
It will probably be out next year around february. For once, the guys here cant say, "Oh, my phone is better". XD

sujoyp

Grand Master
but in phonearena I read that it can also release as soon as October...soo December should be nice

But the track record of SE says that it will probably release in next years Mobile Show;-)

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
Very impressive. SE finally find a platform to design their PSP phone. Glad its coming on Android 3.0. Hope imaging capability will be equally good. Looking forward to this one :)

D

Deleted member 26636

now this is great news...hope the price won't be sky high though..

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Great! Will give a lot of visibility to Android too! Looking forward to it!

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

It will probably be out next year around february. For once, the guys here cant say, "Oh, my phone is better". XD
So you DO agree that our phones are better than your phone as of now? :D

raj_in

In the zone
Great! Will give a lot of visibility to Android too! Looking forward to it!

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

So you DO agree that our phones are better than your phone as of now? :D

Nice one...
& great innovation by sony
lets see if samsung wants to jump into gaming aswell bcz they are pretty much in evrythng else

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
this is rocking news. Finally a phone to kick iphone's butt ;)

I never before said that a phone can be iphone killer. But this one has all of those qualities to curb the nauseating comments from SJ on mobile gaming platform etc.

OP
dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Yeah, will obviously be in the sub 30k+ range. Doesnt matter. Expect a review the day it lands in india. :p

@kalpik- I have people telling me that even the Magic is better.At least then i can be spared of their whims coz this phone wont have any competitors.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Some never understand that many here suggest phone based on how good the phone is and not by company name or not because they own one.

Back to topic, am eagerly waiting to see how well phone will work. Hope SE releases this phone in India by end of this year.

With both SE and PSP sales going down the drain, there was no option for SE than to integrate join them.

Top Bottom