the Official Intel Core ix thread for desktops and laptops

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: The Official Core i7 (Intel's nehalem) Thread

Evga mobo is for extreme OCers. If you don't want to run your proc 4Ghz & beyond just get the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5. It shoud cost you Rs. 16.5-17K

@ comp@ddict - it's not that c8 1800Mhz ram is of no use. They give
much bandwidth & has less latency ( 2ns. ) than c7 1600Mhgz Ram.

Sure they does not offers great bandwidth benifit in gaming. But when you OC them you will get the real benifit out of them. And the price difference is not huge. Hardly Rs. 1K. For that 1K you can take your rams to speed as close to 2200Mhz & beyond.

The DDR2 667Mhz modules @ c4 performs better than DDR2 800Mhz c5.
But no ocers will get those cd DDR2 667Mhz modules coz the 800Mhz modules will give you much more oc headroom.

It's the case with 1600Mhz and 1800mhz ram. I recommended 1800Mhz for great OC capability. It's only k more.

But at the end of the day it's your call what you will buy :p

Last edited:
OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

ONLY ONE QUESTION

DOES EVGA X58 SLI SUPPORT DDR3 RAM @ 1800? PACKAGE MENTIONS UPTO 1600 HZ BUT WEBSITE SAYS UPTO 2000 WITH BIOS UPDATE. SHOULD I GO FOR 1800HZ RAM?
well, yes buddy (all other ppl are also right abt suggesting u on this..) :)

with the BIOS update a.k.a EVGA BIOS Flash, ur old BIO will be updated with alot more new features (mainly h/ware compatibility upgrades).. :) so watever is written on the Evga Site abt its BIOS flashes a.k.a updates are all stable adn works really gr8 w'out giving u a scare or a heart attack for ur mobo..lol.. believe me..

i did a BIOS flash (update) and then my Win XP PRO+SP3 )32bit) OS began recognising 3 GB of RAM (wich previoously was detecting only 2 gb)... so on 64bit OSes there will be really more h/ware compatilibity upgrades as well.. :)
^ Thanks topgear. Those are the golden words I was wanting to hear. Now The SECOND question.... The Gskill 1600 RAM is XMP while the 1800 is not. Can any one of u say if XMP would be better or the reaper one. Net reviews are sparse and nonconforming to one another. Kindly have a look at the links.

OCZ Reaper HPC 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) Desktop Memory
*www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227417
$113.99 + $5.99 (US Shipping to NY) + $0 (NY Tax) = $ 119.98
Shipping weight = 1lbs
Price = Rs. 7,900/-

OCZ XMP Ready Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory
*www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...list=fr oogle
$98.99 + $0 (US Shipping to NY) + $0 (NY Tax) = $ 98.99
Shipping weight = 1lbs
Price = Rs. 6,600/-
I think the Reaper is the widely used RAM of the 2 models (from same company).. :)
-------------
Btw, wat gpu are u gonna use for ur rig.. ?? err.. i mean wats ur complete config.. ?? :D (plz post ur entire config in ["quote]" tags...
-----------

Cheers n e-peace...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

If you want to OC your proc beyond 4Ghz then get EVGA. But if you want to save some money & don't want to OC your Proc beyond 4Ghz then get Gigabyte. It's perfectly fine.

Get OCZ 1800Mhz one.

Lynx does provides warranty though I've not bought anything from them.

Logitech G15 is gaming keyboard not mouse. So reverse your options :

get the G15 KB & Logitech MX518 mouse ( Rs. 1.2 -1.4 K )

Get Palit GTX 275 one.

CM690 has the best air circulation in it's range. So it's more better than gladiator.
But if you don't like CM690 then it's your call what you will opt for.

Get Corsair 750W or Tagan 800W if it's modular.

Buddy it's not smps it should be ups coz I don't think apc makes ups. A 1000VA should suffice your needs. But if you want something extreme then get 1500VA.

BTW, stick with core i7 :p

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

@ Shadowfax will reply to ur cofig in detail in sumtime today.. as my net conn is really aweful man.. so plz delay regretted.. :)
-----------

Shadowfax2009

Wandering around

I wrote yesterday after coming back from a party....so was a bit tizzy.:-D Here is a proper list of my config.

My computer configuration till now:

1.Motherboard: EVGA X58 triple SLI @ 19000/- Or Gigabyte UD5 at 16,500/- from Phoenix
Having second thoughts about which mobo. Gigabyte UD5 is currently not available with any dealers. Would be a good VFM. I would be overclocking only to a mere 3-3.4 GHz for the next 7-8 months…..target is playing games..some 3DMAx as hobby and a lot of photoshop. I might not overclock at all. Will confirm order by next week. Inching towards EVGA…..Beautiful board….EVGA is the Honda amongst mobo makers. But can those of u have the board confirm its performance. Reviewes are good but first hand report will be even better.
2.RAM: OCZ XMP Ready DDR3 1600 Cl8 From KMD @ 6600/- + Shipping 200/- or OCZ DDR3 1800 Cl8 From KMD @ 8000/- CONFIRMED
Went for the OCZ reaper DDR3 1800 @ CL8: for 8000/- after reading all your comments here. Customer reviews have even ran it on 1600 w/ 7-7-7-22-2T timings.
3.Monitor: Dell 24” S2409w @ 13500/- from Phoenix CONFIRMED

4.Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 15000/- From Nehru Place (SMC) Will buy anything less than this! Suggest from where to buy in Delhi? Which Shop at Nehru Place? Lynx have put up a price of 14,250/- on the website. IS it without taxes or VAT? Any suggestions? Yes it was quoted without taxes, talked to Amarbir today. Guess will have to shell out 15k for the processor.

5.Grafix Card: Palit GTX 275 @ 15,500/- from Phoenix --Decided

(I am emotionally a bit Nvidia ) Max I can spend is 15000/ now. I will rather buy a weak GTX 275 now and decide later whether to SLI it or to go for a GT300 series when it becomes decently priced by end of this year. I know ATI 4890 performs similar or slightly better, but I have like the drivers of Nvidia.

6.Cabinet: CoolerMaster Gladiator @ 3900/- or Cm690 @ 4200/- From Nehru place (SMC)
A bit tired of seeing and hearing about CM690. It’s a good case but I like the design of Gladiator better. But since all suggestions are for 690 I might finally go for it. If there are other good cabbies at < 4000/- kindly let me know. I am not willing to spend on NZXT/CM 6000/- ones.

7.PSU: Coolermaster Real power 750w / Corsair 750 watt or 850w / Tagan 800w.
Ready for suggestion. Completely open to ideas. Currently decided for Corsair TX 850 w @ 9300/- . Better prices any one?
8.UPS: APC Smart series. ~ 1Kva at @ 11,000/-
Too pricey man. With a lot of reluctance I buy this after listening to the feedbacks and miseries of other active PFC SMPS users. bowled and runout at the same time. No ideas honestly. Willing to spend around 8000/- . Suggestions and deals please.

9.Mouse: Razor/ Logitech:
Can be settled after the other things settle down. Which is better: Razor Razer Salmosa @ 1.9k or Razer Death Adder @ 2.5k Help. Looking for the best VFM (or any <1 k Logitech mouse) Suggest.

10.Keyboard: Standard Logitech will do.@ 500/-
Sill suggest. Maximum 1250/-
1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Undecided list:
1)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Aftermarket coolers: Do I need one if I overclock to 3.4-3.6 GHz or to just 3.0 ghz?
2)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Which PCI TV tuner card to buy?
3)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Will buy a Zonar later…..No money now.
4)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Need for additional fans?

Well guys ... this was my thought till now.... I was about to confirm my purchase but I have been blasted at the hardware troubleshoot forum for NOT GOING FOR A AMD 955 RIG.
clip_image001.gif
look here
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117427

Shadowfax2009

Wandering around

Hey all

1. Gigabyte mobos are (Particularly UD5) are not available in the market. Not even with dealers/Distributors. Most probably new refresh is coming over the next few weeks.....

Look here: *www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=608

The following is a part of the news:

The first platform from Gigabyte to receive a refresh is the X58 series of motherboards. From the Extreme board down to the lower mid-range UD4 series, Gigabyte is planning a complete update to this product line in the coming weeks. The GA-EX58A-Extreme and GA-EX58A-UD5 is sporting Gigabyte's new 24-phase power delivery system. We are still skeptical about the benefits of phase counts over 12 (especially good ones) on this platform, but the engineers made a compelling case for improved overclocking and stability when running high Bclk rates on this platform. Regardless, other features such as the new DES2 technology, four Marvell 6Gb/s SATA ports, dual LAN with auto-switching ports, and improved memory performance is what caught our eye and will be of greater value to the users.
The GA-EX58A-UD4 appears to be a very solid design and is a board we cannot wait to test. It also features the Marvell 6Gb/s SATA controller but with two ports, the new smart dual LAN auto-switching technology, DES2, a robust 12-phase power delivery system, and Gigabyte's new Smart 6 Technology package. The Smart 6 package consists of Smart Recovery (similar to Windows roll-back points but smarter), Smart Recorder (logging security system), Smart Time Lock (set variable PC usage periods for a shared system), Smart QuickBoost (auto overclocking gates), Smart DualBIOS (password and date manager, yes, BIOS wording does not make sense), and Smart QuickBoot.
Out of all of these it was Smart QuickBoot that caught our attention. This program consists of two features, BIOS QuickBoot and OS QuickBoot. BIOS Quick Boot allows your system fast track past the normal BIOS routine if changes to the BIOS have not been made after three successful boots. This will typically save 10 seconds or more off a typical POST process. The OS QuickBoot forces the system to go into a modified S3 routine upon OS shutdown and enables a quick resume feature, similar to ASRock's Instant Boot technology.

[\QUOTE]

Now what?

PS: "To buy or not to buy is the question?"

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

I wrote yesterday after coming back from a party....so was a bit tizzy.:-D Here is a proper list of my config.

My computer configuration till now:

1.Motherboard: EVGA X58 triple SLI @ 19000/- Or Gigabyte UD5 at 16,500/- from Phoenix
Having second thoughts about which mobo. Gigabyte UD5 is currently not available with any dealers. Would be a good VFM. I would be overclocking only to a mere 3-3.4 GHz for the next 7-8 months…..target is playing games..some 3DMAx as hobby and a lot of photoshop. I might not overclock at all. Will confirm order by next week. Inching towards EVGA…..Beautiful board….EVGA is the Honda amongst mobo makers. But can those of u have the board confirm its performance. Reviewes are good but first hand report will be even better.
2.RAM: OCZ XMP Ready DDR3 1600 Cl8 From KMD @ 6600/- + Shipping 200/- or OCZ DDR3 1800 Cl8 From KMD @ 8000/- CONFIRMED
Went for the OCZ reaper DDR3 1800 @ CL8: for 8000/- after reading all your comments here. Customer reviews have even ran it on 1600 w/ 7-7-7-22-2T timings.
3.Monitor: Dell 24” S2409w @ 13500/- from Phoenix CONFIRMED

4.Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 15000/- From Nehru Place (SMC) Will buy anything less than this! Suggest from where to buy in Delhi? Which Shop at Nehru Place? Lynx have put up a price of 14,250/- on the website. IS it without taxes or VAT? Any suggestions? Yes it was quoted without taxes, talked to Amarbir today. Guess will have to shell out 15k for the processor.

5.Grafix Card: Palit GTX 275 @ 15,500/- from Phoenix --Decided

(I am emotionally a bit Nvidia ) Max I can spend is 15000/ now. I will rather buy a weak GTX 275 now and decide later whether to SLI it or to go for a GT300 series when it becomes decently priced by end of this year. I know ATI 4890 performs similar or slightly better, but I have like the drivers of Nvidia.

6.Cabinet: CoolerMaster Gladiator @ 3900/- or Cm690 @ 4200/- From Nehru place (SMC)
A bit tired of seeing and hearing about CM690. It’s a good case but I like the design of Gladiator better. But since all suggestions are for 690 I might finally go for it. If there are other good cabbies at < 4000/- kindly let me know. I am not willing to spend on NZXT/CM 6000/- ones.

7.PSU: Coolermaster Real power 750w / Corsair 750 watt or 850w / Tagan 800w.
Ready for suggestion. Completely open to ideas. Currently decided for Corsair TX 850 w @ 9300/- . Better prices any one?
8.UPS: APC Smart series. ~ 1Kva at @ 11,000/-
Too pricey man. With a lot of reluctance I buy this after listening to the feedbacks and miseries of other active PFC SMPS users. bowled and runout at the same time. No ideas honestly. Willing to spend around 8000/- . Suggestions and deals please.

9.Mouse: Razor/ Logitech:
Can be settled after the other things settle down. Which is better: Razor Razer Salmosa @ 1.9k or Razer Death Adder @ 2.5k Help. Looking for the best VFM (or any <1 k Logitech mouse) Suggest.

10.Keyboard: Standard Logitech will do.@ 500/-
Sill suggest. Maximum 1250/-
1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Undecided list:
1)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Aftermarket coolers: Do I need one if I overclock to 3.4-3.6 GHz or to just 3.0 ghz?
2)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Which PCI TV tuner card to buy?
3)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Will buy a Zonar later…..No money now.
4)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Need for additional fans?

Well guys ... this was my thought till now.... I was about to confirm my purchase but I have been blasted at the hardware troubleshoot forum for NOT GOING FOR A AMD 955 RIG.
clip_image001.gif
look here
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117427

If you thinks evga x58 is too pricey then get MSI x58 pro. It's @ 10-11K should suffice your oc needs & it does have 3 pci-e x16 slots.

Stick with 1800Mhz rams.

GTX 275 performs better than HD4890

CM690 has best air circulation in it's price range. so get it.
BTW, if don't think it's cool then it's your call what you are gonna opt for.

Get corsair 750W or Tagan 800W if it's modular.

As I said APC 1000VA should suffice your needs & it's the best one you can get.

Get Logitech MX 518 mouse & Multimedia KB
or else
Microsoft Wireless Keyboard + Mouse Set @ Rs. 1500

You don't need a cooler upto 3.2Ghz though it could be 3.4Ghz if you have AC in your room. But I would not recommend to go beyond 3 with that stock HSF to be in the safe limits :p

Get pinnacle internal TV tuner card. It should be Rs. 2.5K
or else
You can try avermedia or pixelview @ Rs. 1.5K range.
BTW, leadtek also has some good tuners @ 2.5-3K range.

Get 2-3 120mm fans if you are going for CM690

Shadowfax2009

Wandering around

Hey guys
Now that Intel is cannibalizing i7 920 ..... do you still suggest me to go for i7 config ?

Should I wait for a month?

Or should I jump the wagon to AMD PhenomII ?

Or Should I wait till AM3 Mobo with Sli support comes out to the market?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Just get the intel core i7 920.
Coz a phenom x2 955 even cannot beat intel Q9770.
there is no point for wait for AM3 mobos with sli support. Coz core i7 mobos already have that.

satan194p

Right off the assembly line

Nice thread. well i am going to build a core i7 rig for one of my friend. he is doing btech in computer science and he will be needing it for
1. study work
2. video encoding
3. a bit of gaming
4. running linux, solaris,opensuse,fedora
budget 70k
well i have build a configuration just needed ur advice and vies about it
processor- corei7 920
motherboard- msi x58pro
ram- corsair 3gb ddr3(will upgrade it later)
hard drive- wd 500gb 7200rpm
optical drive- sony dvd writer
monitor-samsung 2233SW
GPU: zotac gtx 260 core 216
cabinet and smps and ups not decided not yet decided
alraedy having keyboard mouse and speakers

i have some queries
1. some people are saying that msi motherboards are not good as they have thin pcb and do get heat up a lot.
2. some have suggested that performance of ddr3 rams available in the market is quite poor as they have high latency. is that true?

looking forward to ur replies

I_no

__________ ___ __

If you can hold up your build for a month or two then you can get much better graphics card (coz *www.techpowerup.com/96355/AMD_to_Slash_Prices_of_Radeon_HD_4800_Series_Products_in_Q3.html ) and also since dx11 is just on the horizon, the wait will really up this time if he is going to keep the rig for some time. Or you can just buy some place holder second card for time being and then go for a graphics card when DX11 arrives with Windows 7.

And about MSI motherboards, i haven't heard about issues with them, they are also just like other X58s around.

And you are spot on about quality of DDR3 ram today (in India), DDR3 is heck expensive (talking about triple channels kit as older kits use very high voltage which will kill the core i7 IMC ) and latency is also not good.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

Hey guys
Now that Intel is cannibalizing i7 920 ..... do you still suggest me to go for i7 config ?

Should I wait for a month?

Or should I jump the wagon to AMD PhenomII ?

Or Should I wait till AM3 Mobo with Sli support comes out to the market?
no no no buddy, jus how much will u wait.. ?? :)

say, if Intel Launch core i8 (jus say)... then ppl will jump over to that ?? naa, not possible :) so stick to ur config and buy wats latest today.. :) and more importantly (within ur budget).. :)

cabinet and smps and ups not decided not yet decided
alraedy having keyboard mouse and speakers

i have some queries
1. some people are saying that msi motherboards are not good as they have thin pcb and do get heat up a lot.
2. some have suggested that performance of ddr3 rams available in the market is quite poor as they have high latency. is that true?

looking forward to ur replies
Well,

1.) for cabinet, go for CM (CoolerMaster) 690 for Rs.4200/- and it is the best cabunet out there with really good pricing as well as really efficient cooling panel. . :)

2.) For SMPS (PSU) go for Either Corsair TX750 or for Tagan.. both brands are top notch.. and especially since they are ACTIVE PFC PSUs.. u better get a PURE SINE WAVE UPS... APC's Range of SMART UPS ups is a pure sine wave UPS but are damn costly... :)

3.) as for MSI, jus forget abt them and get a Gigabyte UD5 (Rs. 16.5K) or get EVGA X58 (its a Overclocking mobo hence costly and priced at Rs. 22.7K)

4.) As for DDR3, yup they are costly, but its our onl bet to buy as of now.. :)

Hey all

1. Gigabyte mobos are (Particularly UD5) are not available in the market. Not even with dealers/Distributors. Most probably new refresh is coming over the next few weeks.....

Look here: *www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=608

The following is a part of the news:

PS: "To buy or not to buy is the question?"

yup, UD4's are not in the market, all dealers tend to say the same thing.. :) i had waitd for 2 months in feb and march 09.. then went on to buy Evga X58.. :)
----------------

Cheers n e-peace.....

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ MSi x58 eclipse mobos were very bad but the x58 pro mobos are not so bad & it's pricing is also great. Seems like they have learned from their faults with eclipse :p

But I would also recommend a evga over any other brand for x58 mobos if someone is willing to pay for the OC baby :p

I_no

__________ ___ __

3.) as for MSI, jus forget abt them and get a Gigabyte UD5 (Rs. 16.5K) or get EVGA X58 (its a Overclocking mobo hence costly and priced at Rs. 22.7K)
satan194p said:
budget 70k

In his budget, I don't think that he can get both a decent graphics card and the Evga classified. And MSI board is not that bad even to not be able to OC at all. He can easily hit ~4GHz with MSI, provided decent cooling and from his provided specs, seems he is going with the stock cooler and will be heat limited to ~3.4GHz, much before bclk becomes the deciding factor.

Shadowfax2009

Wandering around

Hey all

Can anyone tell me where to find NZXT Cabinets at Delhi? I need to see them in reality...to make final decision. They seem pretty good in pictures.

Update on comp: Still scavenging for deals.

Got a Galaxy GTX 275 OC at 13,500/- with 2 years warranty :smile:
Gigabyte UD5 still not available :sad:

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^ MSi x58 eclipse mobos were very bad but the x58 pro mobos are not so bad & it's pricing is also great. Seems like they have learned from their faults with eclipse :p

But I would also recommend a evga over any other brand for x58 mobos if someone is willing to pay for the OC baby :p
htanx on that update abt MSI X58 pro mobos topgear.. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Don't mention it buddy :p

BTW, I think you wanted to say thankx instead of htanx :p

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

lol.. ooh yaa.. sry for my mystyping..oops again.. i meant MIStyping.. :D
-----------

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

==========

Ok guys, now this time im on the lookout for a 22" LCD for my rig (as in my siggy) as my current monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 920NW-- 19") is too small and NOT enough crisp to allow me to fully utilise my gpu (gtx 280)..

So... wich one to buy guys... ??
.> Samsung 2233 SW--22" (FullHD)

.............. or ...............

.> Dell
-----------------

Note: plz i want only a 22" as anything larger than that will JUS NOT fit onto my table :(

"FullHD" or "noHD" is NOT my priority but the following are:

a.) clear visuals,
b.) good Contrast ratio with good color reproduction,
c.) Response time of ~2ms (5ms is a no no for me..),
d.) HDMI connectivity (if tats not possible wat is its alternate option.. DVI.. ?? is it..)
e.) also, (since i hv a PS2) i want it to connect it to the LCD as well, as and wen required..
:)

BUDGET: 13K (max) +/- 2K

so plz tell me wich to go for... i'll make a purchase in 2-3 days maybe from say.. croma, Malad (mumbai) or Hypercity, malad (preferably i wud prefer to make a purchase from croma ).. :)
-----------

Cheers n e-peace.....

Top Bottom