The Official Antivirus Thread

Which one of the following is the best according to you

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krow

Crowman
*www.techspot.com/guides/180-remove-notification-bar-in-avg/

With over 200 million downloads on CNET alone, AVG 8.5 is among the most popular free antivirus solutions on the market today. If you're one of the countless users who find AVG's notification area to be naggy (present since version 8.0), then keep reading to disable it once and for all.

The workaround is as simple as renaming a couple of files in AVG's main program directory - usually C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8 - so head there now.
To let the batch file take care of everything for you, place it in AVG's main directory and double click on it. The change should take effect instantly. If you can't bear to part with AVG's nagware, simply run Enable_AVG_Notification from the same directory to regress all changes.

If you'd rather take matters into your own hands and confront the files directly or if you have another language installed, that's not a problem.
First, open AVG's program directory. Then click "Tools" on the top menu of the Windows Explorer window and open "Folder Options". Scroll through the "View" tab until you see "Hide extensions for known file types" and uncheck it - click OK

English AVG users can rename the following files by placing .bak on the end, but if you're using another version, the "_us" portion of the first two files should correspond to your language:

avgfree_us.mht > avgfree_us.mht.bak
avgmwdef_us.mht > avgmwdef_us.mht.bak
avgresf.dll > avgresf.dll.bak

That's all folks! AVG 8.5 should be nag-free unless an update comes along and breaks this workaround.

Last edited:

cluby

Broken In
I have tried KIS 2010 trial n found that it has done a lot changes to make a safer web surfing, but it also creates problems when downloading files of 100mb or less or more from some of the sites eg; mediafire. I used firefox 3.5.1 with idm 5.15/5.17, the same problem is also in opera 10 b2. "cannot process javascript, try another browser" dont remember exact error but related to javascript sure. now using AVIRA SS working great. kis was always my favourite bcoz unlike other suites it can recover almost all infected system files n prog files.It saved me once from huge data loss where other suites were just deleting all infected files kis repaired all of them(system files n important stored data files) in win 7.

JaAcE

Right off the assembly line
has anyone tried panda cloud antivirus..??
it introduces "cloud computing" technique for scanning..and leaves small footprint on the host computer...runs ur pc considrably faster...
i hav tried it..must say i was impressed..but dint find much reviews about "panda cloud AV" ...hoping to get some review..

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
NOD32 2.7 was the best AV. NOD32 3.0 sucked but the new release NOD32 4.0 is teh best.

Hereby, NOD32 gets my vote. ;)

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
has anyone tried panda cloud antivirus..??
it introduces "cloud computing" technique for scanning..and leaves small footprint on the host computer...runs ur pc considrably faster...
i hav tried it..must say i was impressed..but dint find much reviews about "panda cloud AV" ...hoping to get some review..

heres a review of panda cloud av

*www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/Panda-Cloud-Antivirus-Review-126499.shtml

aktomjerry

Hi...

I am using Quick Heal Internet security 2010 (updated)... it detects a "Trojan Virus" in a file and in a game and deletes it...

The problem is, I scanned the same file and the game with the updated versions of "avast home edition 4.8" , "Kaspersky Internet security 2010" , "Norton Internet security 2010" , "Avira antivirus" , "avg antivirus" , "bit defender", "nod 32" and with "e-scan internet security"...out of which only "e-scan internet security detected" the "Trojan"...

Now I am totally confused... whether should I trust "Quick heal and e-scan" or should I trust the other antiviruses...

I am very confused...... please help me out>>>>>>>

andy_65_in

Padawan
installed a kis 2010 .even after updating and registering iy shows some warning which reads"some components cant be enabled.advise get updates and then restore kis if it doesnt help.unload kis and then sun setup in wizard-it asks for a YES or NO.what to do.

andy_65_in

Padawan
hi folks can anybody help me .the KIS still shows the same problem-which reads SOME COMPONENTS CANT B ENABLED-START APPLICATION REPAIR. i am using a 2010 KIS ersion

ravijain33

Some popular antivirus softwares :

Avira Antivir
Avast!
AVG
BitDefender
Kaspersky
Mcafee
ESET NOD32
Norton

Free Antivirus Software :

Out of these Avira, Avast!, AVG and Bitdefender have freeware versions.

Reviews :

Latest Av-comparatives.org Results

Unfortunately Av-comparatives doesnt allow other sites to republish their results. Hence, you need to go to the comparatives section and check out the results manually.
But the top 5 performers were : TrustPort AV WS, AntiVir PE Premium, AntiVirusKit (AVK), Kaspersky AV and AVG Anti-Malware. Out of these Trustport and AVK use multiple engines.

Latest Av-test.org Results are viewable here.

Latest Anti-malware-test.com Polymorphic viruses test Results :

GOLD
Avira Antivir Personal Edition Classic 7.06
(31 out of 33 points)
F-Secure Anti-Virus 2008 (31 out of 33)
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0 (31 out of 33)

SILVER
Avast Professional Edition 4.7 (25 out of 33)
AVG Anti-Virus Professional Edition 7.5
(22 out of 33)
DrWeb 4.44 (21 out of 33)
ESET Nod32 Antivirus 3.0 (20 out of 33)

BRONZE
Microsoft Windows Live OneCare 2.0 Pre-Release
(19 out of 33)
Trend Micro Antivirus plus Antispyware 2008 (18 out of 33)
Symantec Anti-Virus 2008 (17 out of 33)
BitDefender Anti-Virus 2008 (16 out of 33)
Agnitum Outpost Security Suite Pro 2008
(15 out of 33)
Sophos Anti-Virus 7.0 (14 out of 33)
Panda Antivirus 2008 (14 out of 33)
VBA32 Workstation 3.12.6 (14 out of 33)

FAILED
McAfee VirusScan 2008 (11 out of 33)

Also see Anti-malware-test.com Product Self-protection test

Latest Virus.gr Test Results :

Top 5 single-engine Premium Antivirus products :
4. Kaspersky version 8.0.0.357 - 97.95%
5. eScan version 9.0.742.1 - 97.44%
6. The Shield 2008 - 97.43%
7. AntiVir version 8.1.00.331 Premium - 97.13%
8. Ashampoo version 1.61 - 97.09%

Top 4 single-engine Free Antivirus products :
10. AntiVir version 8.1.00.295 Classic - 95.54%
11. AVG version 8.0.100 Free - 94.85%
13. Avast version 4.8.1201 Professional - 93.78% (virus.gr claims avast free uses the same engine hence would have identical result)
16. BitDefender version 10 Free - 91.32%

Top 3 multi-engine Antivirus products :
1. G DATA 2008 version 18.2.7310.844 - 99.05% (Avast and Kaspersky Engine)
2. F-Secure 2008 version 8.00.103 - 98.75% (Kaspersky extended base engine, Hydra, Gemini and Blacklight engines)
3. TrustPort version 2.8.0.1835 - 98.06% (Norman, AVG, Ewido and Dr. Web)

Online Scanners

BitDefender Online Scanner

Kaspersky Online Spyware And Virus Scanner

ESET Online Antivirus Scan

Trend Micro's online virus scanner
(posted by thewisecrab)

Is it a Virus?

You can scan an individual file using multiple scanning engines at :
Jotti’s Malware Scan
Virustotal
Since, one of the most commonly asked questions in this forum is "What is the best antivirus", I created this thread. Please post all relavent questions in this thread. Any other similar thread will be closed.

To other mods : Feel free to edit my first post to add/delete info and to keep this post updated.

QUICK HEAL is superior then all of above

~BSOD~

Broken In
i never trust ne av

i just go wid some precautions along with little help by kaspersky wenever in hurry :))

ankushkool

Youngling
The poll says it all! KAV is de best n its really affordable! totally worth it! its the first paid software i have ever got :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom