The Mutual Funds Investment Thread

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Thanks for your suggestion. I am also liking the simplicity of the UI of Groww. Haven't downloaded yet, just comparing everything from their homepages.
But What do you mean by external investments?
I invested in Nippon Mutual outside of groww and I'm able to track it from groww app.

For indian stocks, zerodha charges one time rs 500 charge. Not sure about groww. For mf, groww is free

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Yes, Groww is completely free and no hidden charges. They provide Demat option also which I've not tried yet. I am happy with MF investments now.

If you are investing in MF then look for direct investment plans instead of regular ones.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Didn't realize there was a thread for MF here. Been investing in for just over a year now thanks to my wife constantly telling me to invest. I did it through a agent and later started using Groww and Kuvera. I will switch over to direct plans once I fully understand Mutual Funds.

BTW there is a handy app to estimate the gains based on SPI amount, duration, and expected returns Financial Calculator India – Apps on Google Play
Please note that this app doesn't show any real time data, its just used for financial calculations.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@whitestar_999 In ICICI Direct, I am able to see SIP plans from other firms like Axis, Canara Rebeco, Mirae etc including Axis Large Cap Bluechip Growth plan.
Yes they will be there but check their name & you will not find "Direct" in their plan name meaning they are regular version of MF plans having higher expense ratio(basically the commission you pay for investment in MF, more the expense ratio lesser will be your return at the end).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
which column shows liquidity?
Liquidity in a stock basically means how easy it is to buy or sell.e.g.in many obscure shares the price might increase over few days but there will be no buyers so even if you have that share you will not be able to sell it at the increased price & by the time buyer appears the price may again go down. In online broker site you see the depth chart which shows you the no. of buyer & seller orders & quantity so you can get some idea about its liquidity.

shreeux

Movie Buff
Yes I have seen it but my doubt is regarding no. of orders, if you see there are a few large order on both sides & I am guessing when a trade is executed the system tries to match such large orders first. In an usual share the orders are pretty evenly matched on both sides.

Check spread buy/sell 0.05 to 0.10 paisa only...Its normal

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
same, absolutely..
I don't see folks discussing it because it is not popular for some reason. Have been investing in it almost every month since Nov 2017 and that fund seems to have it's own path. When market dips it is the last one (in my portfolio) to go down, when market goes up it's the first one to rise. Strong pillar like MF for the time being atleast.
Very nice to see fms discussing investments here. Most don't realize the real fun starts after a decade. The magic of compounding that is :)

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Are mutual funds a good option to consider with respect to education related expenses 5 and 10 years down the line?

Or are they an option to park spare cash for long term growth - say 10 to 30 years? Retirement?

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
Are mutual funds a good option to consider with respect to education related expenses 5 and 10 years down the line?

Or are they an option to park spare cash for long term growth - say 10 to 30 years? Retirement?
They are good for everything. It is money. You can use it for anything.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Apart from mutual funds what other investment do you do for 80c declaration, I used to do FD (icici) but the rates are pathetic now.

I'm thinking of NSC 6.8 percent rate

mitraark

Decrepit
I have slowed down on my SIPs into Equity MF and shifted to Gilt Funds and other debt funds. I feel equity prices are inflated right now ( al though have been sauing it since Nifty was at 12k this September, so dont go by my wordd , or anyone elses for that matter.)

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
Apart from mutual funds what other investment do you do for 80c declaration, I used to do FD (icici) but the rates are pathetic now.

I'm thinking of NSC 6.8 percent rate
ELSS Mutual funds are the best 80C investment but think in terms of 7+ years.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
I have slowed down on my SIPs into Equity MF and shifted to Gilt Funds and other debt funds. I feel equity prices are inflated right now ( al though have been sauing it since Nifty was at 12k this September, so dont go by my wordd , or anyone elses for that matter.)
GILT funds are not good. You should not disturb your ongoing sips. The inflated price you think could be a steady bull run who knows?!

mitraark

Decrepit
GILT funds are not good. You should not disturb your ongoing sips. The inflated price you think could be a steady bull run who knows?!
Not good in the sense? Returns are low?

Gilt funds are stable. Secured. Govt backed. And they do well in times uncertainities, which im hoping will come sooner or later given the overvalued state of markets right now.

SIPs i had a few that ran its preplanned 3 years course(mid july to sep), i just opted not to start new ones right now.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
ELSS Mutual funds are the best 80C investment but think in terms of 7+ years.

No I invest 2:1 in mutual funds and a safe investment every year. Usually I do FDs for the safe investment but this year Ill do NSC. Because FD rates are too low. I dont want to do PPF/Retirement funds etc because I would need money in next 5-10 years.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
No I invest 2:1 in mutual funds and a safe investment every year. Usually I do FDs for the safe investment but this year Ill do NSC. Because FD rates are too low. I dont want to do PPF/Retirement funds etc because I would need money in next 5-10 years.
Park your money(till 5 lakh) in IDFC First bank at the rate of 7%, best option currently. As for bank being weak well just keep an eye on its share price & remember that even Yes bank which was once the 4th largest pvt bank in India & many times bigger than IDFC took almost 1.5 years to sink, same with Laxmi Vilas bank which took around 1 year to sink & in case of Yes bank, depositors money was stuck for around 3 weeks only.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Park your money(till 5 lakh) in IDFC First bank at the rate of 7%, best option currently. As for bank being weak well just keep an eye on its share price & remember that even Yes bank which was once the 4th largest pvt bank in India & many times bigger than IDFC took almost 1.5 years to sink, same with Laxmi Vilas bank which took around 1 year to sink & in case of Yes bank, depositors money was stuck for around 3 weeks only.
Do you think this will remain 7 % for long, DBS used to offer same but it has now fallen..

Top Bottom