The Lenovo Z500 with GT 740m thread

Ruben

Broken In
Sorry was wrong about the 7970M ....gt 740m doesnt stand a chance infront of it!!!
but yeah i think i am correct about the performance comparison with gt 650m.it is only 5-6% slower than 650m.funny some people think gt740m doesnt stand a chance infront of 650m ....
(joke of the decade).

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
^^ read posts carefully before posting on them...already said it was a typo and also shared links of both 7970M and 740M for comparison against two different line -ups and edited the post itself, everyone knows 650M is faster, there is no joke on that, if was any it was on someone who compares a top-notch mobile GPU with a entry level one and that too from a "3D mark launch review"...read up people...

So with which laptop I should I go for. I want it for at least 4 years should play the games further on med settings with decent fps. Or one option I had to wait 1 year to drop the prices of Intel Haswell and by that time I think nVidia maxwell will be out. Will maxwell improve performance over kepler in same price bracket,i.e., 50000/- INR. What do you think experts as I am not good at hardware stuff please help me. My price bracket is 50000/-

Wrong perception here, the microarchitecture of haswell and upcoming Steam Roller CPUs from AMD will both be enhanced in a ground breaking scale at the time frame you are talking about. Haswell already will upgrade their fabrication according to their tick-tock cycle

Intel earlier showed prospects of broadwell next to haswell and now there are leaks of Haswell-E with octa core (first) proc from intel house.

*slashdot.org/topic/datacenter/intel-slide-leaks-suggest-haswell-future/

Similarly Volcanic Islands from AMD and Maxwell from Nvidia will draw very different colors in next 2-3 years. techs are now advancing exponentially and there can be no laptop in that price bracket of yours which will render you med-high decent FPS in such a huge future frame. And after all those releases, would you still want to stick with ur old rig by then?

point is, settle with a specific budget right now and in 6 months or less when haswell and GT700M series becomes more mainstream, buy a laptop asap. Forever waiting wont grant you anything.

Check page 2-3 of the thread , it's running at high settings.... posted by thinkdigit123....
Plugged my lappy to my 42 inch Sony HDTV and ran prototype 2 at highest settings at 1080p the game ran with a bit of lag @2.6Ghz cpu , but then i enabled the turbo@3.2 Ghz and the games ran butter smooth...it was divine experience :) .

i have played with PS3 on this TV but the graphics were nothing compared to one i saw myself.... you know i couldn't actually believe myself that it could outperform a PS3 in graphics.... But FRAPS is not working in 1080 mode... does anyone knows why??

regarding if it's your new lappy's specs which are posted in your sig. then go troll in the alienware forums :wink: ... seriously, this thing will kill the games...and you wanna compare benchmarks and FPS with mine:rofl::rofl:. gud joke .

Good benchmark, i always like cards which can outperform itself from the synthetics, even my old XPS15 GT435M exceeded most expectations from sites like game-debate and all predicting FPS....

and regarding GTX780M, yes its a beast, but well...how do u say, thats how benchmarks are made, comparing with products even if they are with lower firepower and with products which are superior :D

Ruben

Broken In
Dude ..is something wrong???
i already told 650m is faster than 740m...only told that its not by some huge margin.
(i hate repeating things).....
and yeah i m basing my viewpoint on 3D mark.i am not telling about game performances.only talking about 3D mark scores.since rohitshubham posted 3D mark scores so i was just comparing them other cards.
I AM in no Damn way comparing FPS.dude.

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
So with which laptop I should I go for. I want it for at least 4 years should play the games further on med settings with decent fps. Or one option I had to wait 1 year to drop the prices of Intel Haswell and by that time I think nVidia maxwell will be out. Will maxwell improve performance over kepler in same price bracket,i.e., 50000/- INR. What do you think experts as I am not good at hardware stuff please help me. My price bracket is 50000/-
that's the thing about modern electronics, the thing is not to wait for product whose time frame of arrival is not sure,as we know that haswell products should have been launched in India by now but it didn't, it should be available by diwali IMO. and yeah it will be costlier by 6-7k for comparable Ivy-bridge processor with 5-6% gain. so, you if you can wait till diwali it will be better.
And if you want to play all games at mid for 4years ,at that price bracket it's difficult or as a matter of fact it's difficult even @ twice your budget

@rohitshubham
@sam_738844

I am B.tech student of first year,Sir and have to wait for 1year to buy a lappy and due to this reason I have wait and asking that will their combination will be availible under 50000/- under a year. Sorry that was unable to explain what I wanted to say. So, it would be better to buy a GT8xxM series or GT7xxM series after a year. And for your kind info,Sir, my GT220 with Core 2 Duo(2gb of RAM) a 4 year old graphics card is able to run all DX10.1 games on upto high on 720p+ res with payable fps. And same for my friends GT9600 with pentium IV HT was able to play Crysis 2 on low and with Ci5 3rd(2gb RAM) gen after upgradation on med 720p res. But they fails in DX11 games like Crysis 3. And I know according to Tick-Tock of Intel their next 12mm based processor is Broadwell. I was not even considering that. And I was not go with because of only 64-bit bandwidth which is the main bottleneck for me and for future as you said (sam_738844).

Sir, Can you say something about Sony Fit 15E SVF1518SNB. Its has also GT740M is it also 64-bit with Kepler GK-208 architecture or with the newer Kepler GK-107 architecture(128-bit). If you had any link kindly post it sir. And also GT7xxM series was launched in april 2013 and the laptops around 50000/- with 730M and 740M are available from June. Due to this reason I was asking will GT8xxM series will be availible by June-July with 50000/- with minimum Ivy bridge. Thanks a lot for your reply and all previous replies.

saaransh9

Journeyman
^wont say a "not good decision" will say an unwise decision...whats the point of returning a laptop with GT740M with a replaced 7730M when they both are entry level mobile GPUs and anyway will struggle in all recent games in med-high settings ??, replacing the GT740M with 7730M wont save you from lowering the settings in anyway it wont make the 7730M perform like 7970M!...when there are marginal FPS difference between two GPUs in terms of performance, always go for the newer tech.

P.S-> a 7750M (next performance class GPU in same line-up of 7730M) is 4-5% faster than GT740M, but 7730M IS NOT.

if u read the dell thread u will see 7730 performing better than gt645

Ruben

Broken In
@rohit....(offtopic)dude how much time does it take for products from dostore to get delivered.any idea???

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
@rohitshubham
@sam_738844

I am B.tech student of first year,Sir and have to wait for 1year to buy a lappy and due to this reason I have wait and asking that will their combination will be availible under 50000/- under a year. Sorry that was unable to explain what I wanted to say. So, it would be better to buy a GT8xxM series or GT7xxM series after a year. And for your kind info,Sir, my GT220 with Core 2 Duo(2gb of RAM) a 4 year old graphics card is able to run all DX10.1 games on upto high on 720p+ res with payable fps. And same for my friends GT9600 with pentium IV HT was able to play Crysis 2 on low and with Ci5 3rd(2gb RAM) gen after upgradation on med 720p res. But they fails in DX11 games like Crysis 3. And I know according to Tick-Tock of Intel their next 12mm based processor is Broadwell. I was not even considering that. And I was not go with because of only 64-bit bandwidth which is the main bottleneck for me and for future as you said (sam_738844).

Sir, Can you say something about Sony Fit 15E SVF1518SNB. Its has also GT740M is it also 64-bit with Kepler GK-208 architecture or with the newer Kepler GK-107 architecture(128-bit). If you had any link kindly post it sir. And also GT7xxM series was launched in april 2013 and the laptops around 50000/- with 730M and 740M are available from June. Due to this reason I was asking will GT8xxM series will be availible by June-July with 50000/- with minimum Ivy bridge. Thanks a lot for your reply and all previous replies.

spare us the "Sir" tag please, we have enough mid-life crisis already :D :D...jokes apart, to pin-point your requirement, tell us exactly when are you planning to buy the laptop, if you're looking at even a one year time window, then its too early to suggest anything, as i earlier said, lots of things gonna change and there is no point suggesting a 50k laptop right now...

More and more net books will emerge with GT7** and Haswell over new few months and more...so its either you need a laptop now? or you need a laptop 6 months later? or you require a laptop one year from now?

Quite the contrary if you have something in mind like settling in a college hostel would give you some entertainment-space with a 50K laptop for gaming, better think twice perceiving the advantage of a desktop built with that money, would undoubtedly render you way better performance.

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
@rohit....(offtopic)dude how much time does it take for products from dostore to get delivered.any idea???
I don't know mate... i haven't ordered actually i am confused b/w extended warranty and few other things.

@rohitshubham
@sam_738844

Why so serious:cool:
Now, Always remember that a mobile GPU of same number will give way less performance than the desktop one. don't compare 780m with 780 of desktop series it won't even be half of it.
it's too soon to suggest a laptop for 6months you know that there isn't any laptop currently which won't be outdated after 6 months (not sam_73884 's one), you see a laptop with similar power to sam's one will be around 50k from an year timeframe.
Regarding sony's laptop .... yup, when i went to buy my laptop, the dealer showed me this one, but it has

a)500Gb HDD as compared to 1TB on z500
b)Intel 3337U processor which is very weak when compared to 3230m. which is
absolutely not suitable for gaming. even if it has a 107 architecture which i am pretty sure isn't.
P.S.:- GK208 is newer Architecture than GK107.
Look here for details : Nvidia's GK208 Architecture

Last edited:
@rohitshubham

Pardon me about GK-107 and GK-208. I was wrong.Yes, you are correct GK-107 is older and GK-208 is newer.
And yeah, I also forgot not to compare mobile series GPU with desktop one.
And also I was thinking that in 3337U Turbo will manage to play the games.

@sam_738844

Yap i will start new post on May-2014 around for my lappy and September for my friend's lappy. After getting your replies in the post
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-n...nd-under-rs-50000-urgently-within-diwali.html
Yes, I will in hostel but buying a new desktop there is tedious as I live around 600km away from there and I would to carry it my home. I can compensate on AA/AF settings. And I also ok upto 1280 X 1024 res.

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11451&stc=1*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/laptops-netbooks/11447d1374497511-lenovo-z500-gt-740m-thread-prototype2-2013-07-22-17-59-18-07.jpg*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/laptops-netbooks/11445d1374497482-lenovo-z500-gt-740m-thread-prototype2-2013-07-22-17-58-59-00.jpg*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/laptops-netbooks/11446d1374497484-lenovo-z500-gt-740m-thread-prototype2-2013-07-22-17-58-40-31.jpg
It's obvious that 650m is better in perfomance but to say that it doesn't stand a chance against 740m is wrong.
look here
Nvidia 650m(GDDR5)+i53360m@2.8+8Gb Ram=59.7 FPS @grid 2
Nvidia 740m(DDR3)(that too 64 bit B/W)+i53230m@2.6+6Gb Ram= 60FPS @ grid 2
now, as we know as the proccessor and the RAM on the 650m is better but it stills gives less FPS ... why?? Just explain this
If 740m Doesn't even stands a chance then it shouldn't even perform better at any of the games. but 740m despite being at disadvantage at every aspect performed better.How is that possible?
i believe that i can say that 650m>645m~740m~640m.
regarding 7970m- it's one of the fastest mobile GPU available around. even an SLI 740m or 650m doesn't stand a chance comparing it with 740m or 650m is comparing su30 against f22 raptor:D:D

Prototype 2
50-60FPS on High settings and 85-95FPS on Mid settings

Gt 650m data is all wrong...
i have the y500 with the gt 750m and i get 110+ fps at all times in grid 2 with graphics settings at high. So theres no way the gt 650m will get only 60fps! Notebookcheck.net is known for putting in wrong data..... the 128 bit gt 740m is probably 5% slower than the gt 650m.. it might even match the gt 650m when proper drivers come out... the 64 bit will be placed inbetween gt 640 and 645 if u ask me.
and secondly, for game performance.... 6b or 8gb won't make any noticeable difference while gaming and neither will the processor. a .2ghz will NOT make any difference.

However, if ur 740m is able to pump out 60fps, its really one heck of a thing! And with those frosty temps you are getting... u can easily overclock it to much higher levels!

dont start overclocking straight away though.... only do it when its a necessity.

Last edited:

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
Gt 650m data is all wrong...
i have the y500 with the gt 750m and i get 110+ fps at all times in grid 2 with graphics settings at high. So theres no way the gt 650m will get only 60fps! Notebookcheck.net is known for putting in wrong data..... the 128 bit gt 740m is probably 5% slower than the gt 650m.. it might even match the gt 650m when proper drivers come out... the 64 bit will be placed inbetween gt 640 and 645 if u ask me.
and secondly, for game performance.... 6b or 8gb won't make any noticeable difference while gaming and neither will the processor. a .2ghz will NOT make any difference.

However, if ur 740m is able to pump out 60fps, its really one heck of a thing! And with those frosty temps you are getting... u can easily overclock it to much higher levels!

dont start overclocking straight away though.... only do it when its a necessity.
110+ FPS in grid 2:shock: ... do you have SLI or only single 650m coz you know according to their website even 680m isn't able to give 110+.... that's quite a shock:shock:.....
and about you being saying 740m is slower than 650m, yeah it is slower and that's a fact it's roughly 5-8% slower; more or less equal to 645m as i said earlier. and the 128 bit version should be faster than 64 bit theoretically but still i haven't seen this to be true apart from benchmarks which don't exactly measure the gaming performance . you see , what nvidia has done with their architecture is
a)increased the clock speed by 15-16%.
b)removed 2 memory controller of 64 bit each in GK107 which were earlier parallel with l2 cache and replaced it with single 64 bit memory controlled directly conected to the l2 cache which
1)reduces time to access the controller and since card already has highr clock speed, it give major boost to deliver data.
2) reduced the power consumption and TDP, which kept the card cool. with an ASIC value of 87.2%
see my temps after playing 1/2 hrs of prototype 2 at high .outside temp was 37C.*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11494&stc=1

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
110+ FPS in grid 2:shock: ... do you have SLI or only single 650m coz you know according to their website even 680m isn't able to give 110+.... that's quite a shock:shock:.....
and about you being saying 740m is slower than 650m, yeah it is slower and that's a fact it's roughly 5-8% slower; more or less equal to 645m as i said earlier. and the 128 bit version should be faster than 64 bit theoretically but still i haven't seen this to be true apart from benchmarks which don't exactly measure the gaming performance . you see , what nvidia has done with their architecture is
a)increased the clock speed by 15-16%.
b)removed 2 memory controller of 64 bit each in GK107 which were earlier parallel with l2 cache and replaced it with single 64 bit memory controlled directly conected to the l2 cache which
1)reduces time to access the controller and since card already has highr clock speed, it give major boost to deliver data.
2) reduced the power consumption and TDP, which kept the card cool. with an ASIC value of 87.2%
see my temps after playing 1/2 hrs of prototype 2 at high .outside temp was 37C.*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11494&stc=1

i have a single 750m at stock clocks and drivers... and yes... it achieves 110+ at high 90% of the time... very rarely it dips to around 95 but thats only fr like 5-8 seconds... i just played a race and took screenshots... bt somehow the fps didn't show up in the ss... stupid checklist button wasn't checked :|

what i'm trying to say is that you cant trust the fps provided in notebookcheck... they are wayyy off

i just noticed the power draw of ur processor... AWESOME! less than 4W most of the time! totally awesome! what kind of battery do you get?

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
^^^that's gud :)
btw have you played assassins creed 3 on 650m??? what are the FPS you are getting??

OK now i just installed Assassins creed 3 and i must say i was impressed ......
The FPS @ High was 45-55 FPS occasionally rising to 60:bandanafighter:
At ultra with TXAA it was 20-23FPS again :enforcer2:which dropped to 19 sometimes...
What is FPS of 650m at these settings??
Screens:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11495&stc=1*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11496&stc=1*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11497&stc=1*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11498&stc=1

P.S> the image quality has been decreased so as to allow to upload

Last edited:

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
^^^that's gud :)
btw have you played assassins creed 3 on 650m??? what are the FPS you are getting??

OK now i just installed Assassins creed 3 and i must say i was impressed ......
The FPS @ High was 45-55 FPS occasionally rising to 60:bandanafighter:
At ultra with TXAA it was 20-23FPS again :enforcer2:which dropped to 19 sometimes...
What is FPS of 650m at these settings??
Screens:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11495&stc=1*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11496&stc=1*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11497&stc=1*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11498&stc=1

P.S> the image quality has been decreased so as to allow to upload

I have the gt 750m... nt the 650m....
and with everything maxed out... i got frames in 37-45... sometimes... the frames drop down to 30 ish but only for a few seconds.... my gpu temp went up to 77.... just checked

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
well, idle temp of cpu varies between 45-50 and 55-65 during gaming.
While the Gpu's temp remains at 40 and 55-60 while gaming.

Top Bottom