The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
1. Thanks for clarification
2. But is the price difference justified considered how cheap it is to add vram. Also dostore is no more showing the 2gb ver. Phased out already? I thought the effects of having ONLY 2gb ram won't cascade into majority of games even if high textures are used since I never plan on using any additional monitors. Only very few games as such will stand to benifit from that 2 gb as such, isn't it. Asking cos as such I'm already at a stretch on my budget.
3. Quantify how bad in comparison to a 60k Z50-70 ??
4. Any other options in similar or lower budget for the requirements( forget I ever mentioned ac unity). A lil compromise on the graphics front is fine, but don't want a slouch either.
5. What would be the best and cheapest channel to buy one? I don't wanna land in trouble or haggle with lenovo on warranty issues later in case I need to excersize it.

2)It's impossible to add vRAM to a laptop. Newer 2015 games will require that extra 2 GB.
3)No idea. Pretty bad compared to Y500/Y510p.
4)Nope.

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
1. Thanks for clarification
2. But is the price difference justified considered how cheap it is to add vram. Also dostore is no more showing the 2gb ver. Phased out already? I thought the effects of having ONLY 2gb ram won't cascade into majority of games even if high textures are used since I never plan on using any additional monitors. Only very few games as such will stand to benifit from that 2 gb as such, isn't it. Asking cos as such I'm already at a stretch on my budget.
3. Quantify how bad in comparison to a 60k Z50-70 ??
4. Any other options in similar or lower budget for the requirements( forget I ever mentioned ac unity). A lil compromise on the graphics front is fine, but don't want a slouch either.
5. What would be the best and cheapest channel to buy one? I don't wanna land in trouble or haggle with lenovo on warranty issues later in case I need to excersize it.

2) Buy 4gb one only. 2gb ones are now phased out. Vram cannot be added unlike RAM, so don't save a meager 2k now.

3) It is useable. But yeah, bad compared to the y510p. I've seen the z50 fhd version, and both are equally bad.

4) Asus has one model in y50 range but it's not such an eye catcher or a sleek laptop.

5) Buy it for a local Lenovo store. Enquire about 2-3 lenovo stores in your city and go for the cheapest. I got it for 74k back in sept end.

vishnov

Journeyman
Guys plz plz plz reply. I really love to buy this machine but I'm put off by its display. Can you plz answer my few questions. Plz!

1. Is its display "that" bad?
2. How expensive it would be to change is display panel? If asked, would Lenovo people do it themselves?
3. Any laptop with similar performance figures in this range?
4. I'm planning to use this laptop for next 3 years. Will it be a worthwhile investment?
5. Above all, I hope it performs well (graphically). Does it?

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Guys plz plz plz reply. I really love to buy this machine but I'm put off by its display. Can you plz answer my few questions. Plz!

1. Is its display "that" bad?
2. How expensive it would be to change is display panel? If asked, would Lenovo people do it themselves?
3. Any laptop with similar performance figures in this range?
4. I'm planning to use this laptop for next 3 years. Will it be a worthwhile investment?
5. Above all, I hope it performs well (graphically). Does it?

1. moderately bad; still usable.
2. 10k, nope.
3. nope. asus g551k is considerably weaker.
4. 3 years is a very long time.
5. Best in this budget.

get a desktop if you don't move around much.

Night-Rider

Journeyman
1. moderately bad; still usable.
2. 10k, nope.
3. nope. asus g551k is considerably weaker.
4. 3 years is a very long time.
5. Best in this budget.

get a desktop if you don't move around much.

+1........... I won't say considerably weaker though. Compare the performance of gtx850m and gtx860. They are not miles apart.

Last edited:

aytus

The Boss
Thanks for all the inputs guys. Well what I meant in the previous comment was that it hardly costs the manufacturer around 500 rupees to add that 2gb vram.. but they charge a premium for it.

I guess ill finally take the plunge... just one final nod needed from all you owners. I would probably be using the laptop for surfing internet 40 percent of the time. 50 percent of its uptime I will be watching movies on it. And gaming I will be doing for the rest 10 percent time. Watching movies is going to be my primary usage. But it is for that occasional 10 percent. .. that I don't get irritated while playing games.

Do you guys think I will repent after buying this or will be happy with my purchase?

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
Thanks for all the inputs guys. Well what I meant in the previous comment was that it hardly costs the manufacturer around 500 rupees to add that 2gb vram.. but they charge a premium for it.

I guess ill finally take the plunge... just one final nod needed from all you owners. I would probably be using the laptop for surfing internet 40 percent of the time. 50 percent of its uptime I will be watching movies on it. And gaming I will be doing for the rest 10 percent time. Watching movies is going to be my primary usage. But it is for that occasional 10 percent. .. that I don't get irritated while playing games.

Do you guys think I will repent after buying this or will be happy with my purchase?

The audio output and the speakers are the best ive heard in a laptop. Even beats alienware in that department.
As long as u r watching movies alone, u wont be disappointed. More than 1 guy, then viewing angles will be a problem.

amanece2008

Broken In
The audio output and the speakers are the best ive heard in a laptop. Even beats alienware in that department.
As long as u r watching movies alone, u wont be disappointed. More than 1 guy, then viewing angles will be a problem.

also problem when you move a little bit ,,you have to again change the display direction upward or downward..
sometimes you can't see whole display through any angle...some gets really dark....really poorest screen ever..seen

DJ90

Right off the assembly line
While playing videos (anime) there is a visible and annoying stuttering. I have watched normal 720p movies without issues. So far i have tried changing the power setting to high performance - no good. The tried changing the player to vlc - again stuttering was present. The tried watching videos videos while being plugged in - stuttering reduced considerably initially it stuttered for about 3 times and then it was smooth. I have also tried changing the default GPU to nvidia - still didn't see any improvements while on battery power.
One observation is that the stutter isn't periodic.
Has anybody else experienced this issue, any known fixes ?

amanece2008

Broken In
While playing videos (anime) there is a visible and annoying stuttering. I have watched normal 720p movies without issues. So far i have tried changing the power setting to high performance - no good. The tried changing the player to vlc - again stuttering was present. The tried watching videos videos while being plugged in - stuttering reduced considerably initially it stuttered for about 3 times and then it was smooth. I have also tried changing the default GPU to nvidia - still didn't see any improvements while on battery power.
One observation is that the stutter isn't periodic.
Has anybody else experienced this issue, any known fixes ?

i would suggest to clean install the os and then u will notice that every bug is gone...expect the poor quality of the screen

vishnov

Journeyman
I recently brought a new y50 lappie. And was wondering if to go for a clean install of OS on this new laptop. I heard it fixes many bugs and performance related issues. Should I go for it? Is it recommended? How to backup my OS serial key so I can use the same while reinstalltion (os is genuine). Help me guys... Plz!

$hadow

Geek in making
^^why do you want to clean install. These things are advised if you having performance hiccups or any other system failure. Start using your laptop normally and then see if there is problem or something like that with your device.

amanece2008

Broken In
I recently brought a new y50 lappie. And was wondering if to go for a clean install of OS on this new laptop. I heard it fixes many bugs and performance related issues. Should I go for it? Is it recommended? How to backup my OS serial key so I can use the same while reinstalltion (os is genuine). Help me guys... Plz!

u can extract windows key from bios...search google ...
also the key works with windows 8.1 pro...so it's upto you if u want 8.1 pro or rtm ...
caution-: u will loose okr function ...
BUT I CAN HELP U IN INSTALLING OS WHILE KEEPING THE OKR FUNCTIONAL (ALTHOUGH U HAVE TO WIPE YOUR HARDDRIVE)

DJ90

Right off the assembly line
u can extract windows key from bios...search google ...
also the key works with windows 8.1 pro...so it's upto you if u want 8.1 pro or rtm ...
caution-: u will loose okr function ...
BUT I CAN HELP U IN INSTALLING OS WHILE KEEPING THE OKR FUNCTIONAL (ALTHOUGH U HAVE TO WIPE YOUR HARDDRIVE)

I would like to do a clean install. Could you help by describing how it can be done. And help me decide the correct torrent for win 8.1.

vishnov

Journeyman
Can you plz help me with clean os installation while still keeping okr functional? Also my hdd came as a single partition. Can you please suggest some tools or softwares so I can create few more partitions (WITHOUT HAVING TO REINSTALL THE OS AGAIN)

amanece2008

Broken In
I would like to do a clean install. Could you help by describing how it can be done. And help me decide the correct torrent for win 8.1.
u can download either any pro version of windows (later on u can change the product key with the one you have on your laptop)..
or download this rtm version
*kickass.so/microsoft-windows-8-1-rtm-x64-with-update-english-dvd-msdn-t9971642.html
steps to do it..
backup all necessary data on external memory + download all the drivers required..
download the os iso...
then i will give the secret iso u have to download...;)..(this will wipe the hdd and create the necessary partitions like recovery drive ,windows c drive (~100gb) + lenovo d drive (~830gb)...)..
DO THIS THEN AND REPLY...

- - - Updated - - -

u can download either any pro version of windows (later on u can change the product key with the one you have on your laptop)..
or download this rtm version
*kickass.so/microsoft-windows-8-1-rtm-x64-with-update-english-dvd-msdn-t9971642.html
steps to do it..
backup all necessary data on external memory + download all the drivers required..
download the os iso...
then i will give the secret iso u have to download...;)..(this will wipe the hdd and create the necessary partitions like recovery drive ,windows c drive (~100gb) + lenovo d drive (~830gb)...)..
DO THIS THEN AND REPLY...

- - - Updated - - -

Can you plz help me with clean os installation while still keeping okr functional? Also my hdd came as a single partition. Can you please suggest some tools or softwares so I can create few more partitions (WITHOUT HAVING TO REINSTALL THE OS AGAIN)

read the post above this one to your 1st question's answer...
i don't know (2nd question's answer)(partitioning will damage the okr,, always )
if i tell you the clean installation method...and after that if u do a partition again..okr is gone again)..but my method creates c drive 100gb and the rest as lenovo d drive...

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Considering the last 2 days of the extended warranty deal, shops here in Hyderabad are asking for 79k for y50. Should I get it guys?

Update: lenovo exclusive stores. Flipkart stopped giving the extended warranty

Top Bottom