The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

DJ90

Right off the assembly line
Considering the last 2 days of the extended warranty deal, shops here in Hyderabad are asking for 79k for y50. Should I get it guys?

Update: lenovo exclusive stores. Flipkart stopped giving the extended warranty

Check on amazon india, the dealer CDIT deals/deal kya hai/DBM Marketing (they are one and the same) sells it around 70k-75k, they are authorized lenovo resellers and we can avail POM offer. I bought it from them at 71k and got the extended warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

u can download either any pro version of windows (later on u can change the product key with the one you have on your laptop)..
or download this rtm version
*kickass.so/microsoft-windows-8-1-rtm-x64-with-update-english-dvd-msdn-t9971642.html
steps to do it..
backup all necessary data on external memory + download all the drivers required..
download the os iso...
then i will give the secret iso u have to download...;)..(this will wipe the hdd and create the necessary partitions like recovery drive ,windows c drive (~100gb) + lenovo d drive (~830gb)...)..
DO THIS THEN AND REPLY...

- - - Updated - - -

u can download either any pro version of windows (later on u can change the product key with the one you have on your laptop)..
or download this rtm version
*kickass.so/microsoft-windows-8-1-rtm-x64-with-update-english-dvd-msdn-t9971642.html
steps to do it..
backup all necessary data on external memory + download all the drivers required..
download the os iso...
then i will give the secret iso u have to download...;)..(this will wipe the hdd and create the necessary partitions like recovery drive ,windows c drive (~100gb) + lenovo d drive (~830gb)...)..
DO THIS THEN AND REPLY...

- - - Updated - - -

read the post above this one to your 1st question's answer...
i don't know (2nd question's answer)(partitioning will damage the okr,, always )
if i tell you the clean installation method...and after that if u do a partition again..okr is gone again)..but my method creates c drive 100gb and the rest as lenovo d drive...

I downloaded the rtm version of win8 that you mentioned. For drivers there is a drivers folder in my pc which includes okr software is that enough or should i go for each hardware vendor site and download the respective drivers latest edition ?

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
Okay guys I got the y50 yesterday.

Looks good so far. Got the model with 4 GB GPU and it came with a chi-mei display (though it is noticeable it doesn't look bad to me at all;maybe coz I have never used a better screen before)

The wlan card is from realtek.

Haven't been able to game yet. Downloading the freaking big games of steam now.

I too want to do a clean install of windows soon.

I have the win 8.1 rtm but I want to ask if the key in the bios will work with that.

Also please answer the question about the driver downloads put up by DJ90 above.

And amanece what is the secret Iso you have been mentioning that will do the partitioning. Could you please say what it is?

Thanks...

amanece2008

Broken In
Okay guys I got the y50 yesterday.

Looks good so far. Got the model with 4 GB GPU and it came with a chi-mei display (though it is noticeable it doesn't look bad to me at all;maybe coz I have never used a better screen before)

The wlan card is from realtek.

Haven't been able to game yet. Downloading the freaking big games of steam now.

I too want to do a clean install of windows soon.

I have the win 8.1 rtm but I want to ask if the key in the bios will work with that.

Also please answer the question about the driver downloads put up by DJ90 above.

And amanece what is the secret Iso you have been mentioning that will do the partitioning. Could you please say what it is?

Thanks...

it's the leaked iso which is used to install windows(1st or clean installation which makes partitions..& recovery ) on a new system by lenovo engineers..

DJ90

[MENTION=296717]amanece2008[/MENTION]
Are the drivers in driver folder of the pc enough or should i download it separately?
And shouldnt i make a UEFI bootable copy of the iso i installed ?

amanece2008

Broken In
Are the drivers in driver folder of the pc enough or should i download it separately?

download them ...and yes the os must be uefi bootable...

- - - Updated - - -

DJ90

- - - Updated - - -

This is a link i found for making UEFI bootable image on usb drive from the window iso image
How To Make UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 8 | Next of Windows
Does the method look ok, or do you have any suggestions?

amanece2008

Broken In
This is a link i found for making UEFI bootable image on usb drive from the window iso image
How To Make UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 8 | Next of Windows
Does the method look ok, or do you have any suggestions?

use rufus to make ...i used that .. see step 2

DJ90

I made a bootable usb using rufus, after that i opened the usb and started the setup.exe so win installation started upto the point of asking the key. At this point when i entered the key i recovered from my system the image says the key is not compatible with the image. Booted the pc into installation using usb even this reached only upto the product of entering the key. Any thing i am missing ?

- - - Updated - - -

Found a solution for this - Generic keys
*forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/47480-windows-8-1-generic-keys

amanece2008

Broken In
[mention=296717]amanece2008[/mention]

i made a bootable usb using rufus, after that i opened the usb and started the setup.exe so win installation started upto the point of asking the key. At this point when i entered the key i recovered from my system the image says the key is not compatible with the image. Booted the pc into installation using usb even this reached only upto the product of entering the key. Any thing i am missing ?

- - - updated - - -

found a solution for this - generic keys
windows 8.1 generic keys

don't u want to keep okr functional??
To get okr functional u have to first use the iso I was talking about earlier., which will wipe ur hdd and create partitions..after that u have to install os

Last edited:

DJ90

don't u want to keep okr functional??
To get okr functional u have to first use the iso I was talking about earlier., which will wipe ur hdd and create partitions..after that u have to install os

Ok so far i have created a bootable image on a usb. Downloaded the drivers and backed up my data. Also i have created a backup image using lenovo okr.
What is the next thing to do ?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I don't understand what's the fuss with OKR? if anything goes wrong and windows gets corrupt, recover the app settings and user data using a live linux OS and reinstall windows. Data in other partitions will not be affected. :|

amanece2008

Broken In
Ok so far i have created a bootable image on a usb. Downloaded the drivers and backed up my data. Also i have created a backup image using lenovo okr.
What is the next thing to do ?

i have sent u the steps..but it's not showing in the pm sentbox..
so here is the whole procedure
download this iso
*mega.co.nz/#!DlBz0QxA!_Znv91amYd0XymuW45Fd1SC52ODiHsJ4I1scHYkMNbw

use poweriso and make it a bootable image...
the language is in Chinese...so after making bootable iso change these inside the pendrive..
you can change the default language by editing the file listed below in the ISO :)

WIN8_OKR8.0(Without_OS)_aman.iso\okr8\LRS_ESP\OneKey\MAIN\LRS-Config-Org.xml

WIN8_OKR8.0(Without_OS)_aman.iso\okr8\LRS_ESP\OneKey\MAIN\LRS-Config.xml

<Default-Lang>zh-CN</Default-Lang> to <Default-Lang>en-us</Default-Lang>

u need to change the bios settings..enable legacy,,legacy first cause okr has been made bootable in legacy mode..
after booting through usb follow pics...
*s28.postimg.org/hbgpfnmnx/okr1.png
*s21.postimg.org/s3hpw35on/okr2.png
if the okr is successfully installed boot into uefi mode(to install os using bootable pendrive)..u may need to change bios settings..to uefi booting..
install os on the 1st partition ~ 100gb ...configure all settings(install drivers...softwares.....etc..)..do this then i will tell u how to take okr backup....
download links
WIN8_OKR8.0(Without_OS)_aman
MEGA

Last edited:

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
Guys any tips to reduce boot-up and shutdown times? Y-50 takes a hell lot of time to shut down, even after windows is shut down, the front lights and kb light stay on for like 3-4 minutes.

P.S- I have disabled all useless services and program which run at start-up already.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Guys any tips to reduce boot-up and shutdown times? Y-50 takes a hell lot of time to shut down, even after windows is shut down, the front lights and kb light stay on for like 3-4 minutes.

P.S- I have disabled all useless services and program which run at start-up already.

Only way is to install a SSD.

nitinvertigo

Broken In

Remove hibernation and indexing on all drives. I did that and the boot and shutdown times reduced drastically (like 15 secs for bootup and 45 secs for shutdown)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys I faced a strange issue today. I was playing a game and suddenly the game started lagging (even though it was an old game). Then i closed the game and started browsing. But whenever I clicked IE it was opening firefox. So I restarted the machine and then after logging in windows all I got was a black screen with only the cursor. No UI at all. And the only thing I could do was open task manager through Ctrl+Alt+Del. I could open applications, games etc with the task manager but I could not open the Control Panel nor the explorer. It was giving error "No such Interface supported". I searched all over internet and people were suggesting to check disk errors,virus etc. I did all that but there was no issue with the HDD nor was there any virus. Also the windows was unable to do system restore as it was saying that the system restore is corrupted. Even the windows update was set to manual. By searching I found that this issue is called Windows Black Screen of Death.

For the time being I have installed windows 7 in another partition. Can anyone suggest any way I can get back my windows UI as I do not want to reinstall it all over again.

Note: The recovery is lost as I partitioned my HDD after purchase so its a no go

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Remove hibernation and indexing on all drives. I did that and the boot and shutdown times reduced drastically (like 15 secs for bootup and 45 secs for shutdown)

With a SSD, the system will start in 4 secs and shut down in 6 secs flat.

Hey guys I faced a strange issue today. I was playing a game and suddenly the game started lagging (even though it was an old game). Then i closed the game and started browsing. But whenever I clicked IE it was opening firefox. So I restarted the machine and then after logging in windows all I got was a black screen with only the cursor. No UI at all. And the only thing I could do was open task manager through Ctrl+Alt+Del. I could open applications, games etc with the task manager but I could not open the Control Panel nor the explorer. It was giving error "No such Interface supported". I searched all over internet and people were suggesting to check disk errors,virus etc. I did all that but there was no issue with the HDD nor was there any virus. Also the windows was unable to do system restore as it was saying that the system restore is corrupted. Even the windows update was set to manual. By searching I found that this issue is called Windows Black Screen of Death.

For the time being I have installed windows 7 in another partition. Can anyone suggest any way I can get back my windows UI as I do not want to reinstall it all over again.

Note: The recovery is lost as I partitioned my HDD after purchase so its a no go

Seems like a classic virus attack. Which anti-virus did you use?

nitinvertigo

Broken In
With a SSD, the system will start in 4 secs and shut down in 6 secs flat.

Seems like a classic virus attack. Which anti-virus did you use?

Until the cost of a high capacity SSD comes down drastically this is the way to go....

I was using Kaspersky Internet Security with all the latest updates. When this happened I even scanned the entire system but could not find any virus.

aniketdawn.89

Wise Old Owl
True that an ssd is the ultimate solution.

But for cheaper solutions disabling hibernate will help with the startup lag and boot times.

Only disable indexing if Its taking up more than 40% of your CPU ( check on task manager: windows indexer or something). Else won't help with much of a performance improvement.

Top Bottom