The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

amanece2008

Broken In
I have an original Windows 8.1 pro DVD. :p I guess it should be UEFI bootable. Also can you please tell whether you have installed the lenovo apps after clean install ? I agree most of them are crap but some like the lenovo settings and energy manger are good. Also the dolby home theatre is awesome. :mrgreen:

yes i know some apps like you mentioned above are good...i have also installed those apps after clean installation..
you said u have 8.1 pro dvd(genuine?!!),,,so you would not need to extract the win key from your bios..
also after the secret step you would have windows partition ~98gb and the rest space ~811gb as lenovo partition ,,,19.4gb recovery partition...but after partitioning you may break the okr...so i don't suggest you to do partition..
P.S i was telling you the partition size cause the default partition by lenovo is ("windows partition 850+gb and 28gb lenovo partition.....MOST DUMB STYLE PARTITION BY DEFAULT..).

- - - Updated - - -

i have replaced the display(the stock one is really horrible..),,,and i am happy...
[MENTION=296717]amanece2008[/MENTION] How did you replace the display ... and which new one you installed ... and what are the charges.

i had ordered from aliexpress ~cost me around 8000,,but you may get it ~7200-7500 also..
you may find all the relevant details @
*goo.gl/NbxMqQ

Last edited:

nitinvertigo

Broken In
yes i know some apps like you mentioned above are good...i have also installed those apps after clean installation..
you said u have 8.1 pro dvd(genuine?!!),,,so you would not need to extract the win key from your bios..
also after the secret step you would have windows partition ~98gb and the rest space ~811gb as lenovo partition ,,,19.4gb recovery partition...but after partitioning you may break the okr...so i don't suggest you to do partition..
P.S i was telling you the partition size cause the default partition by lenovo is ("windows partition 850+gb and 28gb lenovo partition.....MOST DUMB STYLE PARTITION BY DEFAULT..).

yes i agree the partitioning is dumb. I had already partitioned my laptop the day i bought it. Does it mean that the okr is broken? If thats the case is there any way i can bring it back?
Also you were mentioning that you installed all those softwares. From where did you get the installation files? in the net i could only find lenovo energy manger. I could not find lenovo settings though i did find lenovo dependency package which is for metro app. As for Dolby lenovo provides the installation file in their site but it is only showing as supporting thinkpads only.

As for windows key u can get the same from tuneup utilities.

Last edited:

amanece2008

Broken In
yes i agree the partitioning is dumb. I had already partitioned my laptop the day i bought it. Does it mean that the okr is broken? If thats the case is there any way i can bring it back?
Also you were mentioning that you installed all those softwares. From where did you get the installation files? in the net i could only find lenovo energy manger. I could not find lenovo settings though i did find lenovo dependency package which is for metro app. As for Dolby lenovo provides the installation file in their site but it is only showing as supporting thinkpads only.

As for windows key u can get the same from tuneup utilities.

99% chances are that it has broken...you may check it by booting your y50 in recovery medium and then try to recover os...
as you asked that "yes you can bring recovery back but with my method your hdd will be formatted and a fresh os installation will be necessary"
if you are really interested in clean installation(with working okr) then i can help you..but you have to backup your necessary data/drivers..
and i have installed lenovo energy manager & dolby digital driver(from lenovo driver support,,),, i have also installed one key theater (one with thinkpad support only is working fine),,

nitinvertigo

Broken In
99% chances are that it has broken...you may check it by booting your y50 in recovery medium and then try to recover os...
as you asked that "yes you can bring recovery back but with my method your hdd will be formatted and a fresh os installation will be necessary"
if you are really interested in clean installation(with working okr) then i can help you..but you have to backup your necessary data/drivers..
and i have installed lenovo energy manager & dolby digital driver(from lenovo driver support,,),, i have also installed one key theater (one with thinkpad support only is working fine),,

yes I am really interested in clean installation :) i have always clean installed all my previous laptops. It was easy when we had windows XP and 7 :cry: but what can i say good times don't last long enough.

I will check that okr though when i go home today.

A.Asesh

Broken In
Hello all,

I brought the Y50 last month. Everything's excellent but i have noticed a little lag while i start the windows.The loading circle below the lenovo lags a bit.. and then gets back to normal in about 20 secs.. I tried to reset the hiberfile.sys using cmd. It works well for a couple of starts (like 10 sec bootup) and then again it starts lagging in next bootup.

Anyone else faced this issue or has a solution to it.?

You can go through this thread for a video uploaded by other user facing the same issue

*forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V...ot-up-and-noticeable-loading-lag/td-p/1686477

nrvpnchl

Broken In
Hello all,

I brought the Y50 last month. Everything's excellent but i have noticed a little lag while i start the windows.The loading circle below the lenovo lags a bit.. and then gets back to normal in about 20 secs.. I tried to reset the hiberfile.sys using cmd. It works well for a couple of starts (like 10 sec bootup) and then again it starts lagging in next bootup.

Anyone else faced this issue or has a solution to it.?

You can go through this thread for a video uploaded by other user facing the same issue

*forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V...ot-up-and-noticeable-loading-lag/td-p/1686477
I had same issue about a month ago, even messing with hyberfile and pagefile didn't help but a few days later it became normal. And now after a whole month I'm getting same issue again. Don't know what happened but but i can't stove it.

Update :
Finally found a solution

1. Disable hibernation with CMD :
powercfg -h off

2. Restart

3. Enable hibernation:
powercfg -h on

4. Enable Hibernation option in power menu from control panel

5. Hibernate computer from shutdown button then start again

6. Restart

Last edited:

A.Asesh

Broken In
I had same issue about a month ago, even messing with hyberfile and pagefile didn't help but a few days later it became normal. And now after a whole month I'm getting same issue again. Don't know what happened but but i can't stove it.

Update :
Finally found a solution

1. Disable hibernation with CMD :
powercfg -h off

2. Restart

3. Enable hibernation:
powercfg -h on

4. Enable Hibernation option in power menu from control panel

5. Hibernate computer from shutdown button then start again

6. Restart

Thanks for the help..
But unfortunately this doesn't seem to work. I Tried it just now.. same lag still exists..

interceptor47

Right off the assembly line
I've a Y-50 ( the 4 GB graphics card & 8 GB RAM version)

- I'm getting ~ 20 FPS for Watch Dogs and ~14 FPS for Assassin's Creed Unity at Ultra settings (everything maxed out). Used FRAPS for measuring the FPS. FRAPS game capture video recorder fps viewer

- Around 45 minutes battery life for these settings.

Could someone who's playing these games, confirm if they are getting the similar FPS & battery life?

Last edited:

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
I've a Y-50 ( the 4 GB graphics card & 8 GB RAM version)

- I'm getting ~ 20 FPS for Watch Dogs and ~14 FPS for Assassin's Creed Unity at Ultra settings (everything maxed out). Used FRAPS for measuring the FPS. FRAPS game capture video recorder fps viewer

- Around 45 minutes battery life for these settings.

Could someone who's playing these games, confirm if they are getting the similar FPS & battery life?

FPS are somewhat similar, just a lil higher.
but one thing, dont play games on battery, Gaming on a laptop should only be done while it is connected to power. You'll get much higher fps and also keep your battery and laptop healthy.

interceptor47

FPS are somewhat similar, just a lil higher.
but one thing, dont play games on battery, Gaming on a laptop should only be done while it is connected to power. You'll get much higher fps and also keep your battery and laptop healthy.

Thanks. I rarely use a gaming laptop on battery. Was just checking the battery performance, as a part of the overall laptop performance-check. Getting around 3 hours in general use (without gaming). In my case, the FPS is more or less same when on and off battery.

Seems that these games are poorly optimized, and aren't making full use of the 4 GB graphics memory. BF4 is much better - around 30 FPS on ultra settings.

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
3 hours is brilliant on normal use. I am getting 1.5 -2 max.
I am ok with it as I rarely use it without a charger plugged in. So have kept the max charge level to 60% too.

A.Asesh

Broken In
I get a backup of around 4 hours 45 mins.. with no gaming and just moderate usage like reading , music or movies..
I keep the system in power saver and switch on airplane mode whenever I want max backup.
Yeah but never play games on battery its bad for a battery's health as levels go down suddenly.

A.Asesh

Broken In
How do you limit the charging to 60%?

Go to lenovo setting. There is a tab called bettery conservation mode.there you can get the option.
its also present in lenovo energy management tab by same name- battery conservation mode.
basically useful when you dont use laptop for a month or so.it helps in maintaining the charge to low levels to prevent spoiling of the battery due to over charging.

interceptor47

Go to lenovo setting. There is a tab called bettery conservation mode.there you can get the option.
its also present in lenovo energy management tab by same name- battery conservation mode.
basically useful when you dont use laptop for a month or so.it helps in maintaining the charge to low levels to prevent spoiling of the battery due to over charging.

I am already on this setting - but wasn't aware that this limited charging to 60%. The indicator, though, shows 100% charged, on this conservation setting.

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
I am already on this setting - but wasn't aware that this limited charging to 60%. The indicator, though, shows 100% charged, on this conservation setting.

You can drag down that level from 100% to 60% to achieve these settings. Depends on person to person's usage and needs.

nitinvertigo

Broken In
You can drag down that level from 100% to 60% to achieve these settings. Depends on person to person's usage and needs.

Lenovo recommends that the Conservation Mode should only be used when you are not using the laptop for a week or more. There is no point in enabling the Conservation mode during general use. However to ensure good battery life do gauge reset once or twice in a month.

aytus

The Boss
Sorry for bringing it up again if this has been discussed in length already :) But between the 2GB and 4GB ver. which one is better. As i understand from some lil reading that ive done, the 4GB one is Kepler and 2GB one is maxwell (or both of them are Maxwell?) .

Check here for a comparison.
Review Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M Maxwell vs. Kepler - NotebookCheck.net Reviews . Looks like the maxwell is fairing better, and cheaper too. Are there real world scenarios where gaming on 1080p the kepler is better? wouldnt it be better to go with the maxwell one as its more efficient and more importantly cheaper.

And :) how bad is the screen?

Talking in Indian context, considering the options available.

Haven't really been able to convince myself to bite the Y50 bullet.
While on topic, i am looking for a decent laptop primarily for multimedia usage, and hence want a good screen. Would also be running some CAD apps like solidworks and ansys, but afaik they wont mandate anything beyond 820 or 830M.

Looking to have some decent performance with games like AC unity. (i know, been through unity review on anandtech and decent performance on High would be fine).
Am considering Z50-70 with 840M (how much would be the difference between the two), but the gamer in me is pushing to spent the extra buck on Y50. Not really sure if the extra HP would really be put to use or not. But any alternative suggestions are welcome.

Also, what would be the best way to buy the Y50. thedostore ? flipkart? or some brick and mortar store? what are the current prices and what do i stand to gain or loose by those options?

Thanks for reading and your valuable comments.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Sorry for bringing it up again if this has been discussed in length already :) But between the 2GB and 4GB ver. which one is better. As i understand from some lil reading that ive done, the 4GB one is Kepler and 2GB one is maxwell (or both of them are Maxwell?) .

Check here for a comparison.
Review Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M Maxwell vs. Kepler - NotebookCheck.net Reviews . Looks like the maxwell is fairing better, and cheaper too. Are there real world scenarios where gaming on 1080p the kepler is better? wouldnt it be better to go with the maxwell one as its more efficient and more importantly cheaper.

And :) how bad is the screen?

Talking in Indian context, considering the options available.

Haven't really been able to convince myself to bite the Y50 bullet.
While on topic, i am looking for a decent laptop primarily for multimedia usage, and hence want a good screen. Would also be running some CAD apps like solidworks and ansys, but afaik they wont mandate anything beyond 820 or 830M.

Looking to have some decent performance with games like AC unity. (i know, been through unity review on anandtech and decent performance on High would be fine).
Am considering Z50-70 with 840M (how much would be the difference between the two), but the gamer in me is pushing to spent the extra buck on Y50. Not really sure if the extra HP would really be put to use or not. But any alternative suggestions are welcome.

Also, what would be the best way to buy the Y50. thedostore ? flipkart? or some brick and mortar store? what are the current prices and what do i stand to gain or loose by those options?

Thanks for reading and your valuable comments.

1)Both are Maxwell.
2)4 GB is definitely better as it would allow you to play [MENTION=136512]Ultra[/MENTION] textures in games like Watch_Dogs and high textures in Shadow of Mordor. 4GB is future proof as 2015 games will definitely have higher vRAM requirements.
3)Screen is pretty damn bad.
4)To play Assassin's creed unity on high, you need at least GTX 880m or GTX 970m. Even with those you may suffer a little stuttering here and there.
5)If you want to play AC:Unity, you should be aiming for low-med 1080p. You'll be only able to play @lowest during the Animus glitch sequence. Cut-scenes will lag too. I dount the GT 840m will even be able to run AC:Unity.

aytus

The Boss
1. Thanks for clarification
2. But is the price difference justified considered how cheap it is to add vram. Also dostore is no more showing the 2gb ver. Phased out already? I thought the effects of having ONLY 2gb ram won't cascade into majority of games even if high textures are used since I never plan on using any additional monitors. Only very few games as such will stand to benifit from that 2 gb as such, isn't it. Asking cos as such I'm already at a stretch on my budget.
3. Quantify how bad in comparison to a 60k Z50-70 ??
4. Any other options in similar or lower budget for the requirements( forget I ever mentioned ac unity). A lil compromise on the graphics front is fine, but don't want a slouch either.
5. What would be the best and cheapest channel to buy one? I don't wanna land in trouble or haggle with lenovo on warranty issues later in case I need to excersize it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom