The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

Kaimei

Right off the assembly line
Hi Guys :)

I was planning on buying the Lenovo Y50 - GTX 860M 4GB variant from Snapdeal as the price was comparatively cheaper than other e-retailers like thedostore, FlipKart, Amazon etc.

However on going through the product specifications I came to realize that the screen resolution is listed as 1366x768.

Can anyone who has purchased from Snapdeal confirm that it is indeed a lower resolution display and not the 1080p? AFAIK there are only 1080p display Y50s. Never have I heard of or seen a 1366x768 one. Even the one listed on the thedostore says its FHD, which im assuming means 1080p display.

Can someone who has purchased from Snapdeal shed some light on this please ? Perhaps its wrong information or a typo ?

Thanks in advance :)

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
Hi Guys :)

I was planning on buying the Lenovo Y50 - GTX 860M 4GB variant from Snapdeal as the price was comparatively cheaper than other e-retailers like thedostore, FlipKart, Amazon etc.

However on going through the product specifications I came to realize that the screen resolution is listed as 1366x768.

Can anyone who has purchased from Snapdeal confirm that it is indeed a lower resolution display and not the 1080p? AFAIK there are only 1080p display Y50s. Never have I heard of or seen a 1366x768 one. Even the one listed on the thedostore says its FHD, which im assuming means 1080p display.

Can someone who has purchased from Snapdeal shed some light on this please ? Perhaps its wrong information or a typo ?

Thanks in advance :)

AFAIK no y50 in the world has anything less than a 1080p fhd screen. Lenovo does not manufacture them.
But as an Online Shopping enthusiast , I would advice u to not trust snapdeal with electronics, there have been some complaints regarding it. Instead go to a local dealer and get the best deal on the y50.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
AFAIK no y50 in the world has anything less than a 1080p fhd screen. Lenovo does not manufacture them.
But as an Online Shopping enthusiast , I would advice u to not trust snapdeal with electronics, there have been some complaints regarding it. Instead go to a local dealer and get the best deal on the y50.
A slight correction.
Lenovo doesn't manufacture sht.
Lenovo just assembles laptops by purchasing parts from different companies.

amey2606

Broken In
I am planning to upgrade my ram from 8Gb to 16Gb .whether will it cause any lag?Can I proceed with it.Urgent advice needed
Yup, same here. I am planning to upgrade my ram too. Anyone got any good option on which one to buy.?
I am also planning on getting a 2tb external hard drive, preferably the new Seagate Backup Plus Slim. Can you guys please recommend from where to buy.?

Thanks.

jakephilips

Broken In
hey all.. im so glad to see this thread! im gettin my Y50 this coming saturday. I just went through many comments and noticed the issue with updating the GPU drivers. Will this be a deal breaker for me?? cos im getting this laptop solely for gaming. i hav another laptop as it is for miscellaneous use. Replys appreciated. :)

sac14

New to this forum
I ordered Y50 from the do store through account transfer on 18th, they shipped it 2 days later as they say gave me a tracking no. and a order reference no. but order no. on do store website is showing not found and aramex tracking is just showing 20th 10 45 pm at origin bhiwandi.
Has anyone faced same scenario, please reply my dad is asking when it will arrive.
thanks.

jakephilips

Broken In
hey all.. im plannin on pikin up the Y50 this weekend from bangalore. 75k for the 4GB model. But i was reading abt all the GPU issues related to updates... have these problems been resolved by nvidia? should i be worried?? because i dnt stay in bangalore.. im making the trip jst to pick up the laptop. replys appreciated :)

Simplon

Broken In
hey all.. im plannin on pikin up the Y50 this weekend from bangalore. 75k for the 4GB model. But i was reading abt all the GPU issues related to updates... have these problems been resolved by nvidia? should i be worried?? because i dnt stay in bangalore.. im making the trip jst to pick up the laptop. replys appreciated :)

[MENTION=294330]jakephilips[/MENTION]
Slightly off topic philips. I would like to know from where you are going to buy the laptop in bangalore. The seller address or at least the area of purchase would suffice. Thank you.

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
Hey!
Those 2 extended years is onsite warranty on carry in?

I am getting it for 74,500 + 3 years warranty.

Worth it?

I think the extra 2 years is carry in and not include many things, contact lenovo regarding its details. Many companies have hidden terms and conditions regarding that extra warranty.

Also, may I know from where u r getting it from and is it the 4gb version?

nougain

Broken In
Guess what, this laptop isn't about hard drive performance. If you really care about hard drive transfer rates then get your self an SSD.

Right, but for the default 5400 RPM SATA Western Digital 1 TB HDD that Lenovo is supplying in Y50, do the numbers I have shared look ok. I am not talking or expecting SSD performance here. Just wanted to confirm that the copy speed I am getting are reasonable for the supplied HDD with combinations tested out.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess what, this laptop isn't about hard drive performance. If you really care about hard drive transfer rates then get your self an SSD.

I did some testing on copying a single file of 2GB from my Y50. Here are the findings...

Speed Test of Copying a Single 2GB Movie File
From -- To -- Speed -- Remarks
Y50 internal HDD -- Y50 internal HDD -- 7-15 MB/s -- Same partition different folder
Y50 internal HDD -- External WD NTFS HDD via USB 3.0 -- 35 MB/s -- WD My Passport 1TB 3.0 USB SS Ext HDD
Y50 internal HDD -- External FAT32 Pen Drive via USB 3.0 -- 17-20 MB/s -- JetFlash Transcend 32GB USB Device
Y50 internal HDD -- External NTFS Pen Drive via USB 3.0 -- 15-20 MB/s -- (Reformatted the Pen Drive to NTFS)

Do I need to do something to get it better?

... these are the numbers.

agarwalmohit

Broken In
I think the extra 2 years is carry in and not include many things, contact lenovo regarding its details. Many companies have hidden terms and conditions regarding that extra warranty.

Also, may I know from where u r getting it from and is it the 4gb version?
I am buying it from Lenovo Excusive store Kolkata, it is the 4GB version.

venkniralac

Broken In
why is that the forum doesnt reply to questions?the same question about upgrade of ram from 8 to 16gb was asked and no reply till now

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
why is that the forum doesnt reply to questions?the same question about upgrade of ram from 8 to 16gb was asked and no reply till now

The forum is not some anonymous entity that sits in front of a computer to answer your questions.
No one here is bound by law to answer your questions. People answer of their own free will.

ashikns

ByTeS fLoWiNg ThRu VeIns!
I am planning to buy the 4 gb version from here. Does anyone have any comments about the seller or amazon? Also if I buy from amazon, how much will it cost me to buy extended warranty? I can't buy from dostore since they don't support EMI for HDFC credit card.

Top Bottom