The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
But the 4 GB Variant was supposed to be equipped with UHD Panel right?

Here it's saying only FHD Panel. Well, it can't be helped. What we get is what we get right?

But it's good that Lenovo is going for aggressive pricing. 80k for 4 GB GTX 860M is pretty tempting over the 2 GB Variant (Difference of ~3K) but as of now NO Extended Warranty so that's a bummer.

But as you said, the 4 GB variant will pump out more heat and might cause some issues in the long run. It's best to wait for some reviews about this newbie laptop before hitting the buy button.

But I'm impressed by Lenovo this time around. They're introducing the latest laptops quickly in India as well. And their pricing strategy is really helping them to leap bound their sales. And of course the number of Exclusive DO stores has been cropping up steadily all over the country.

Soon Lenovo might again become the #1 Laptop provider in India. :) (It recently slipped to Number 2 behind HP).

And to all the owners of the Y50, some sort of gaming FPS scores please? :)

hi ... guys can you please explain what is N15P-GX GDDR5 4G stand for .. specially "4G" . Also is this model has Maxwell CPU and GPU . I am asking as I know little about it ..

Also how to know whether a processor is a maxwell or kepler?

Thanks..

Anyone explain me tat how can we expand RAM to 16 gb..?
And wat may be the cost??

Ok I went to a local lenovo exclusive shop and gave little advance for ordering laptop he said he would order on monday and get it to me on tuesday (he said it is in stock in local supply) , he also told that there is a 4GB graphic card version that is available for some 80k , but then he said that it is is i "i7 U" variant , so i7-4710HQ will be better , and so i ordered the 2gb version. but now i may change my descision as it looks specs are same just expect that part

Also, I doubt Maxwell will overheat even if it is a 4GB version. Heck even Kepler GTX 870m is found in Razer Blade and Aorus X3 which are both smaller and slimmer than the Y50.

can really extra 2gb memory can have effect on temperatures ??

- y50 is sold in quite a nos. of variants now the 4gb variant may/may not be available with a UHD panel + am not sure of the indian 4gb variant better to confirm from multiple sources on this

- warranty..hmm I guess they should/will continue the 2yr extended warranty offer

- ok..so carefully go through what I said earlier..it's the nos of video memory chips and not the chip itself(well the GPU die itself will see inc. in temps but not much...when compared to the whole setup(GPU die+vid. mem chips.)) + ofc maxwell would produce a lot less heat but* consider the maxwell chewing through the 2gb vid. memory and now double it (to 4gb)..what you'll observe is the GPU die generating a bit more heat as it is utilizing the vid. mem. (which in this case is 2x2gb) moreover if* the die is surrounded by 2x 2gb chips instead of a single 4gb one which I haven't seen so far in any mobo's layout..so this'll def. add up. although there would be clearly no big difference in temps. but then again the form factor in which it is enclosed in matters(considering the quality of capacitors and other delicate components which lenovo has put in:-D)

simple real world example..if you increase the capacity of the in/out pipes of a water pump then ofc you'll see an inc. in water flow but that always comes at a cost.. ok..it might be a bad example:-D

- i7 U variant..? really? can anyone confirm this..?

anyhow I would recommend to wait and go for the 4gb variant(don't even think abt it if it's an i7 U variant)

[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION]
reg. kepler...? my 4 day old y510p had temps sky rocketing (abt. CPU: 82-85*C & GPU: 75-80*C in ~15-20mins)

my current y50 never went beyond spikes of 72-74*C (both laptops tested under ambient room temp of 24*C to be precise) and with my laptop cooler(a deepcool multicore x6) the avg. temps are always under 65*C at a max. maintaining avg. 30+ FPS(spikes of as low as 24FPS and max of 39FPS) in arma 3(more tests will follow)

oh and the 880m guys are crying outloud because of the throttling issues:-D

Last edited:

vineetpratik

Broken In
- y50 is sold in quite a nos. of variants now the 4gb variant may/may not be available with a UHD panel + am not sure of the indian 4gb variant better to confirm from multiple sources on this

- warranty..hmm I guess they should/will continue the 2yr extended warranty offer

- ok..so carefully go through what I said earlier..it's the nos of video memory chips and not the chip itself(well the GPU die itself will see inc. in temps but not much...when compared to the whole setup(GPU die+vid. mem chips.)) + ofc maxwell would produce a lot less heat but* consider the maxwell chewing through the 2gb vid. memory and now double it (to 4gb)..what you'll observe is the GPU die generating a bit more heat as it is utilizing the vid. mem. (which in this case is 2x2gb) moreover if* the die is surrounded by 2x 2gb chips instead of a single 4gb one which I haven't seen so far in any mobo's layout..so this'll def. add up. although there would be clearly no big difference in temps. but then again the form factor in which it is enclosed in matters(considering the quality of capacitors and other delicate components which lenovo has put in:-D)

simple real world example..if you increase the capacity of the in/out pipes of a water pump then ofc you'll see an inc. in water flow but that always comes at a cost.. ok..it might be a bad example:-D

anyhow I would recommend to wait and go for the 4gb variant(don't even think abt it if it's an i7 U variant)

reg. kepler...? my 4 day old y510p had temps sky rocketing (abt. CPU: 82-85*C & GPU: 75-80*C in ~15-20mins)

my current y50 never went beyond spikes of 72-74*C (both laptops tested under ambient room temp of 24*C to be precise) and with my laptop cooler(a deepcool multicore x6) the avg. temps are always under 65*C at a max. maintaining avg. 30+ FPS(down spikes of as low as 24FPS and max of 39FPS) in arma 3(more tests will follow)

Talked to the store manager and told him that on dostore the processor is i7 4710HQ, he told he would confirm on monday and call me before ordering mine. I too think that going with 4GB one is better and would ask for warranty extension too on monday.

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
Guys, is there a way to protect the touchpad and area around the touchpad (panel below keyboard)? My hands get really sweaty and that ruined my old Dell laptop.

Also, my wifi connection keeps dropping on Y50 and most of the time doesn't even detect my wifi network while it's working perfectly fine on my other laptop and PC. Any solution?

Last edited:

vineetpratik

Broken In
And i don't think it could be a kepler one, its clearly written N15P-GX , and I haven't heard of any any Y50 with kepler inside, do tell me if its there, i think it should be risk free to get 4GB one.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot

my current y50 never went beyond spikes of 72-74*C (both laptops tested under ambient room temp of 24*C to be precise) and with my laptop cooler(a deepcool multicore x6) the avg. temps are always under 65*C at a max. maintaining avg. 30+ FPS(spikes of as low as 24FPS and max of 39FPS) in arma 3(more tests will follow)

65 degrees,74 degrees and 80 degrees(Y510p). FFS!
Maxwell is fully safe till 85 degrees Celsius. It can run 24/7 as long as the temps are in the range of 80-85. One should only really worry when temps start to cross 85 because Max Operating Temp is 95, even after which the card is safe but it will start to throttle. 10 degrees below max operating temp is more than enough and can never truly damage the card.
Kepler cards can go till 98 w/o throttling. I frequently reach 87 on the second OCed GPU without even a hint of throttling.

Adding a degree or two by the extra vRAM is going to as much damage to a Maxwell GTX 860m as scared sht rabbit to a lion.
85 degrees on core i7 4700MQ is common and nothing to worry about. They can go till almost 100.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW do you have both the Y510p and Y50?

- - - Updated - - -

can really extra 2gb memory can have effect on temperatures ??

nope.

chillz88

Broken In
That sucks man! Did they agree to replace it ?

i did contact the lenovo do store manager and he said he will send try replacement by monday as stocks are low..:/ Sucks..but since th e 4gb variant is out and is still cheap, i might pay extra and get that one.. will wait and see how it goes...... might be a blessing in disguise

- - - Updated - - -

Talked to the store manager and told him that on dostore the processor is i7 4710HQ, he told he would confirm on monday and call me before ordering mine. I too think that going with 4GB one is better and would ask for warranty extension too on monday.
do ask it monday would love to buy it too..thanks:)

deadraizer

Broken In
I'm thinking of getting a Y50 tomorrow. Should I wait for the 4GB version? I've to get a laptop this week (till 23rd August) anyhow. I'm assuming Y50's the best one available out there in this budget (around 75k).

chetan.g

Journeyman

Thanks prometheus ... got the concept..

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I feel real shitty for buying the 2GB version now. How much will it effect me in the years to come?

You won't be able to play with Ultra Textures very soon(in fact Watch_Dogs is unplayable for you at ultra textures). You will have to switch off extra features like MSAA to save vRAM.

noceur

Broken In
People are getting very low FPS for Watch_Dogs even with a 4GB card on ultra. It can't be played on ultra anyway. Benchmarks on high for Watch_Dogs show little difference between the 4GB and 2GB version.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
People are getting very low FPS for Watch_Dogs even with a 4GB card on ultra. It can't be played on ultra anyway. Benchmarks on high for Watch_Dogs show little difference between the 4GB and 2GB version.

There's a difference between ultra settings and ultra textures. Watch_Dogs looks exceptionally good with Ultra Textures+High settings. This is however not possible with 2GB vRAM.

DPYBROS

Right off the assembly line
4GB GPU architecture?

The 4GB 860M, is it kepler or maxwell? Can anyone confirm with screenshots of GPUZ?

If it is kepler, then 2GB maxwell is faster than 4GB kepler version.
See here:Review Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M Maxwell vs. Kepler - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

- - - Updated - - -

A few questions:
1. Is the display matte or glare?
2. How is the touchpad in terms of responsiveness and feel?
3. How.is the speaker? 2.1 stereo? Is the bass good?

chillz88

Broken In

yup.. looks like the new games like watchdogs use more than 2gb vram.. so will the new upcoming open world games probably like the newer upcoming skyrim and maybe other new upcoming mmo's...

- - - Updated - - -

The 4GB 860M, is it kepler or maxwell? Can anyone confirm with screenshots of GPUZ?

If it is kepler, then 2GB maxwell is faster than 4GB kepler version.
See here:Review Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M Maxwell vs. Kepler - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

- - - Updated - - -

i think the lenovo y 50 4b variants sold in other countries are maxwel right? someone correct me if i am wrong ..would be odd for us just to get a different version..

Last edited:

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
And i don't think it could be a kepler one, its clearly written N15P-GX , and I haven't heard of any any Y50 with kepler inside, do tell me if its there, i think it should be risk free to get 4GB one.

here.....

- - - Updated - - -

65 degrees,74 degrees and 80 degrees(Y510p). FFS!
Maxwell is fully safe till 85 degrees Celsius. It can run 24/7 as long as the temps are in the range of 80-85. One should only really worry when temps start to cross 85 because Max Operating Temp is 95, even after which the card is safe but it will start to throttle. 10 degrees below max operating temp is more than enough and can never truly damage the card.
Kepler cards can go till 98 w/o throttling. I frequently reach 87 on the second OCed GPU without even a hint of throttling.

Adding a degree or two by the extra vRAM is going to as much damage to a Maxwell GTX 860m as scared sht rabbit to a lion.
85 degrees on core i7 4700MQ is common and nothing to worry about. They can go till almost 100.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW do you have both the Y510p and Y50?

who said anything abt maxwell being safe/or not ? :|
oh hell..suppose it can run over 150*C my point above is solely about the temps rising inside such a small form factor and not of the GPU die/vid mem chips only/ think* about the adverse effects of this heat(yes we need more temp stats. out there for the 4gb variant; see my earlier comments^ if it'll really heat up..) on the nearby components..

this is not just about damaging the card....we are talking about a laptop here so.. considering the small form factor and the delicate components(including the capacitors on the board and who knows from what quality/stock has lenovo got 'em in here; generally yes they are one of the delicate components of a mobo) I am sure that the 2gb variant won't be able to withstand much heat(defn. of much heat inside a y50..? well frankly speaking == idk time can tell :-D) without seriously cutting short the life span of the components/machine

oh and btw most slim form factor gaming laptop owners are crying abt throttling issues yes..yu want to know why? just have a look at the temps..the figs. would say they are hovering arnd. mid 80's *C..well inside a laptop that slim? I wasn't even considering the perf. of the laptop in my favor..it's the life time I was pointing to.. :]

have the y50 with me for now..

in any case imho ppl should get the 4gb variant only* after going through it's reviews

Last edited:
OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
here.....

- - - Updated - - -

who said anything abt maxwell being safe/or not ? :|
oh hell..suppose it can run over 150*C my point above is solely about the temps rising inside such a small form factor and not of the GPU die/vid mem chips only/ think* about the adverse effects of this heat on the nearby components..

this is not just about damaging the card....we are talking about a laptop here so.. considering the small form factor and the delicate components(including the capacitors on the board and who knows from what quality/stock has lenovo got 'em in here; generally yes they are one of the delicate components of a mobo) I am sure that the 2gb variant won't be able to withstand much heat(defn. of much heat inside a y50..? well frankly speaking == idk time can tell :-D) without seriously cutting short the life span of the components/machine

have the y50 with me for now..

in any case imho ppl should get the 4gb variant only* after going through it's reviews

imo everything(including the capacitors which fail the fastest) is safe and there is no need to worry. The laptop is designed to withstand this amount of heat. The laptop is safe for at least 4-5 years with this little heating. In the probability that the laptop heats up to say 87-90 degrees, even then the laptop is good for 2 years. 65-70 degrees is going to do as much damage to nearby components as ice is likely to burn you.

Everyone else, go for 4GB version eyes closed.

I don't think lenovo is gonna cheat customers with cheap components. They are quite reliable in the industry.

- - - Updated - - -

If someone is afraid that the memory modules may overheat, replace the crappy TIM over the core with IC Diamond and also replace the thermal pads on top of the memory modules with IC Diamond.

prasoon2211

Right off the assembly line
Hey guys. I got mine a few days back and I have some questions.

1) My laptop was ordered from the dostore. Do I have to do anything to claim the warranty (like registering the laptop maybe)?
2) What to do about the blurry text? [MENTION=288777]pr94rr[/MENTION] has provided a solution but isn't there a global solution for this?
3) This is the most important part: Has anyone been able to make the laptop into a dual boot device? I shrunk a volume and installed ubuntu on free space, changed the boot device from UEFI to legacy and grub appears on boot. However, I am unable to launch windows from grub. Then, I switched the bootloader back to UEFI and windows loads automatically. Any solutions for this booting problem?

Top Bottom