The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

Rj0909

Right off the assembly line
Anyone know when lenovo y50 'with 16gb ram and 4gb graphic card' will be available in India ???

amey2606

Broken In
lucky you:)
oh they'll make it avail. for somewhere arnd 74k; though the lenovo rep was denying about this nfo

checkout lenovopromo.net
you'll get all the info detailed with screenshot just hover your mouse over "?" visible at the right side of the 2x document upload field

- - - Updated - - -

@all
pls confirm your screen's make

to check it:
- go to device manager
- display/monitor >> right click and then properties/details - generic pnp monitor
- go to details >> select hardware id from drop down list

you'll see something like AUOxxxx if yours is from AUO/AOU

also pls confirm if it's a matte/glossy that you all got
Thanks bro.
Will register at the soonest.

Kamal17

Broken In
Thanks.
What did they send you along with laptop?
Backpack or typical useless handbag for laptops?

Yeah, backpack! And external dvd drive is inside the box, that comes as standard too.

UPDATE ---------------

Did anyone create partitions without breaking OKR ? If so, how ?

Last edited:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Yeah, backpack! And external dvd drive is inside the box, that comes as standard too.

UPDATE ---------------

Did they send the backpack automatically? Or you have email ed them? :p
Problem with online buying is, you can't bargain. :D
I had no choice. that 2 yea of extended warranty offer will last till 15th August. And lenovo Kolkata said they won't get this laptop before 20th August.
So I bought it from online store and spent ~2k extra only to get the 2 years of extra warranty which will be really helpful for me.

pr94rr

Broken In
[MENTION=208344]Kamal17[/MENTION] congrats bro

I received mine yesterday and it's Maxwell, AUO screen and came with backpack and DVD writer. I have a short write up/review and some pics plus about my experience so far but I believe a lot of you have already got it so let me know if you want me to post it here and I will do it.
Cheers

Kamal17

Broken In
[MENTION=208344]Kamal17[/MENTION] congrats bro

I received mine yesterday and it's Maxwell, AUO screen and came with backpack and DVD writer. I have a short write up/review and some pics plus about my experience so far but I believe a lot of you have already got it so let me know if you want me to post it here and I will do it.
Cheers

Thanks :) A review will help others, so I will say go ahead. ;)

Did you create more partitions ? I want to but dont want to break the OKR functionality.

pr94rr

Broken In
Nope it has a single C Drive for the data. I might upgrade it to a 256gigs Samsung 840 EVO soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are a few images
2.jpgDSC_0044.jpgDSC_0054.jpgDSC_0066.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0085.jpg
    DSC_0085.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 92

pr94rr

Broken In
For the full album please visit the link : pratyush_02's Library | Photobucket
First impressions : It's a looker. The box from the dostore comes with a pretty solid packaging. After tearing the covers up and removing the bubble wrap you are greeted with a black and brown box. Cut the seal, open it up and there is a Black backpack waiting, besides another box which has the beast in it.
On opening the smaller box you will be greeted with "Congratulations on your new laptop." Well that's what mine said. Dive in again and you will see a DVD Writer (atleast my model number had it free even though the lenovo slaes rep told me that there would be no DVD Writer - Not that the DVD writer matters a lot but hey the thought counts),
Now when you remove the coverings you will be greeted by a sleek microfibre sleeve holding the machine tightly and the first thing that you will think when you will hold the laptop is "it's incredible thin". Remove the sleeve cloth and the thought changes to "it's incredibly sexy".
Now before you think that I am a new user getting over excited about my new laptop, I assure you I am not. My work involves Graphics design and I have owned some of the most powerful laptops (It was a ThinkPad - back when IBM made it) as well as some of the sexiest ones (A VAIO) and when you work around graphics there is no such thing as too much powerful.
Now back to the laptop, the backlight looks impressive and since I have used IPS panels so the screen didn't low me away. It's not as bad as you've probably heard (trust me I work with colours and graphics) but it won't blow you away. Everything else though probably will.
About the screen - I got an AUO panel and horizontal viewing angles were not that bad but vertical were. Colours aren't accurate but some calibration certainly helps improve. You will need to disable high DPI scaling in some applications or the text might appear fuzzy/blurry.
As far as mine goes - I will be using it with an external monitor most of the time so it certainly is workable and new users probably won't find it that bad. Now for exterior and parts - It's all lightweight and the sound - It blows you away - I will have to say that with some tweaking of the settings it's definitely in the league of the best sounding laptops. About the weight and size - the laptop is sleek but it's huge. Fan noises are decent. Keyboard feels good but sometimes a few missed strokes occur and the touchpad works like a breeze with a single finger but when you get another finger near it - it gets jumpy.
The laptop comes with a lot of bloatware probably the most I have seen in a laptop but then when you are buying a machine like this you should be able to figure out for yourself about the applications you need.
As for performance it's fast really fast. I haven't got a chance to play any games but I worked on some very high resolution images with lots of layers on Photoshop CC with Autodesk Sketchbook Pro running in the background and the performance was buttery smooth.

There is still a lot of performance testing to be done as it's only been a day since I got it and I might post about it later but as far as first impressions go - this is a really incredible laptop and definitely worth the money. Yup a definite buy if you are looking for something less than 1 lakh.

Oh and a special thanks to Prometheus, Kamal17, VineetPrathik, Priyank- the facebook guy for regularly updating the thread and keeping the potential buyers like me, informed about their status.

Ayushj

Hey i just joined this forum to ask a few quick questions
1. Does replacing internal hdd with a ssd void my warranty?
2. What the heck do you do with the internal hard drive after removing it? I don't think anybody will buy that
3. Is 1 ram slot free?
4. Why does everyone keep saying the extended warranty offer ends on 15 august? 3 lenovo reps have confirmed that the offer lasts till the end of the month (and lenovo usually extends it by 15 days each time till diwali anyways)

Ayushj

Hey i have a few quick questions
1. If i swap the hdd with the ssd, does that void my warranty?
2. Is there a free Ram slot?
3. Should i throw away the hdd after replacing it or can it be sold?

amey2606

Broken In
Hey [MENTION=288777]pr94rr[/MENTION],
Congrats on your purchase.
I seem to be having a few doubts, if you could help.
Did you partition the main drive, coz there's only one OS drive provided.
And which Microsoft office would you recommend, 365 or 2010-13, because the 365 provided is only a one month trial.
And Thanks to all the guys who helped me with buying this beauty.
And i do hope this thread lives on and doesn't die out.

pr94rr

Broken In
No I have not made a partition. I am not really planning to either but it should be easy though you should know that the One Key Recovery won't work after you make partitions but then again OKR isn't that necessary really.
As for MS Office suit - I would recommend the boxed 2013 version with perpetual license - for some reason I just don't like the idea of paying for my stuff regularly but then again I also use Photoshop CC which has a rental payment and it's not that bad really so it really comes down o personal preference. Oh and if you are wondering - I have removed 80% of the free softwares - it's just too much crap slowing the system down and the softwares are really just cheap ads in a laptop.

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
..and the 2 years of extended warranty will be there only till 14th of August. ..

till 14th aug..? source?:|

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I feel 77k for Y50 is much better than 71 odd for y510p. You get twice the graphic card, slimmer and cooler laptop too!
You wont need SLI with 860m, but yeah you are compromising a little with the display quality.

For me, Graphic Card is much more of a priority than a screen, screen can always be changed after warranty gets over.

+1

for me it's:
- non-availablity of ultrabay card for y510p even in US/Malaysia(charging heavy $400 USD for both adapter+card)
- got pretty hot in abt 10-20 mins of light/med use
- my earlier unit was a defective one

and y50:
- single gpu to rule 'em all :cool: (not denying the fact that the 755 SLI is faster by a margin!)
- slimmer+lighter profile; palm rest area is just too good:)
- runs cool:-D

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks bro.
Will register at the soonest.

aah..np :]

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE ---------------

here is the sol. works %!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey [MENTION=288777]pr94rr[/MENTION],
And which Microsoft office would you recommend, 365 or 2010-13, because the 365 provided is only a one month trial.

try kingsoft office
it's free and works out of the box! (no friggin ADs or anything of that sort; just custom install it..don't just go next>>next>>next @ install. time)
you might recce it if you've used it's android version(which ofc was rel'ed quite a while ago)

- - - Updated - - -

No I have not made a partition. I am not really planning to either but it should be easy though you should know that the One Key Recovery won't work after you make partitions but then again OKR isn't that necessary really.
As for MS Office suit - I would recommend the boxed 2013 version with perpetual license - for some reason I just don't like the idea of paying for my stuff regularly but then again I also use Photoshop CC which has a rental payment and it's not that bad really so it really comes down o personal preference. Oh and if you are wondering - I have removed 80% of the free softwares - it's just too much crap slowing the system down and the softwares are really just cheap ads in a laptop.

read above^
- OKR will be just fine just partition it the way I've described
- use kingsoft office or if you want a legit copy try getting it via dreamspark

Last edited:

amey2606

Broken In
till 14th aug..? source?:|

- - - Updated - - -

+1

for me it's:
- non-availablity of ultrabay card for y510p even in US/Malaysia(charging heavy $400 USD for both adapter+card)
- got pretty hot in abt 10-20 mins of light/med use
- my earlier unit was a defective one

and y50:
- single gpu to rule 'em all :cool: (not denying the fact that the 755 SLI is faster by a margin!)
- slimmer+lighter profile; palm rest area is just too good:)
- runs cool:-D

- - - Updated - - -

aah..np :]

- - - Updated - - -

here is the sol. works %!

- - - Updated - - -

try kingsoft office
it's free and works out of the box! (no friggin ADs or anything of that sort; just custom install it..don't just go next>>next>>next @ install. time)
you might recce it if you've used it's android version(which ofc was rel'ed quite a while ago)

- - - Updated - - -

read above^
- OKR will be just fine just partition it the way I've described
- use kingsoft office or if you want a legit copy try getting it via dreamspark
Thanks a lot bro.
You really are very helpful.

Top Bottom