The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Guys you dont need to worry about the screen it'll be manageable as the screen of Y50 is 15.6" TN(twisted nematic) panel not "IPS Panel", which is the screen used for pure gaming.
Although, IPS display has better colour reproduction & viewing angles than the TN panel but it has very less response time (it's the time a pixel needs to turn white from black) compared to TN panel & that's the quality of TN panel it has no or very less Ghosting effect meaning very smooth and faster refresh rates than the IPS panel.

IPS panel is good for Movies, photography, desginers, etc. whereas TN panel is good for gaming. So, this rig is made for pure gaming...Enjoy.

The thing is there is variance in the quality of TN panels. The TN panel in Y50 is of very poor quality. The Y510p's TN panel is of very high quality.

- - - Updated - - -

wont make much big of a difference unless you are trying to conect more than one display...

Watch_Dogs will easily fill that 4 GB vRAM @1080p and even @720p

pr94rr

Broken In
The thing is there is variance in the quality of TN panels. The TN panel in Y50 is of very poor quality. The Y510p's TN panel is of very high quality.
Exactly, while it is true that TN is suitable for gaming but there still are different quality of TN panels and the one in Y50 is unfortunately really bad from what I have heard. Yes it's manageable but you probably won't like it. Resolution is great for a laptop this size, colors not.
I am myself wondering if I should buy this and my work involves graphics design so I checked out the display details and well if you know about colour reproduction then - the Y50 has colour coverage of about 57% sRGB and 43% Adobe RGB, Just for comparison's sake the Y510 p has a colour space coverage of 82% sRGB and 56% AdobeRGB.
Other than that, yeah it's a pretty awesome laptop but if colours are a priority and you have used laptops with even decent non-IPS displays then you might be disappointed.
If I get this I will probably buy a separate monitor but if you will use it purely for gaming and colours aren't too much of a bother then definitely go for it. Right now it's a beast of a laptop in the price range.

racerronny

Right off the assembly line
I am really looking forward to buy this laptop however the screen is a big concern.
I'm planning to change it as soon as I get the laptop.
So can u guys plz suggest the specifications of the screen that should be bought as a replacement to the original screen? And also any specific company or model.

chillz88

Broken In
I am really looking forward to buy this laptop however the screen is a big concern.
So can u guys plz suggest the specifications of the screen that should be bought as a replacement to the original screen? And also any specific company or model.

they will need 30 pin edps and 4 screw slots to put them on it and 15.6.. if you are buying it from ebay, specify the model and type you want.. you can use auo, lg ,samsung or any models you want.. i might be looking for the B156HAN0.1.2 or similar models.. they are there on ebay and laptopscreens.com

vineetpratik

Broken In
Watch_Dogs will easily fill that 4 GB vRAM @1080p and even @720p
on googling what i found was that it might be a memory leak issue and ubisoft already working to fix it . Even if it is false , having 2 or 4gb should have effect almost on no game, unless using multiple monitors.

Patch Dogs: Ubi To Fix Watch_Dogs? Performance Issues | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

I m also going for it , i think it should be manageable , although waiting for an indian review is good idea. International standards need not to be applied here , they have plenty of options for good displays , gaming laptops , and they use vibrant 1080p displays with much better colour reproduction than Y50 more often there , I don't think they even would have considered single GT755M as a gaming card,which was marketed here as gaming card.

amey2606

Broken In
Hello guys,
Same here. Was following this thread from the beginning and now I finally decided to join.
Eagerly waiting for someone to review the Indian model and for the Y50 to come to stores.
I was a diehard Vaio fan, but now that Sony has sold off Vaio, I have been inclined towards Lenovo.
I have been putting off buying a new laptop since the last 3-4 years, I guess it's finally time to buy one.
Just hope that the Y50 lives up to expectations.

Thanks.

If there are any owners here, then can you please try OSX ML, MV.
hackintosh on the y50 FHD GTX860M I7 Haswell.

It will be of extreme help.
For help goto *www.tonymacx86.com/laptop-compatibility/

The y50 can be a real steal compared to the MB pro.

Thanks in advance

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
on googling what i found was that it might be a memory leak issue and ubisoft already working to fix it . Even if it is false , having 2 or 4gb should have effect almost on no game, unless using multiple monitors.

Patch Dogs: Ubi To Fix Watch_Dogs? Performance Issues | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

I m also going for it , i think it should be manageable , although waiting for an indian review is good idea. International standards need not to be applied here , they have plenty of options for good displays , gaming laptops , and they use vibrant 1080p displays with much better colour reproduction than Y50 more often there , I don't think they even would have considered single GT755M as a gaming card,which was marketed here as gaming card.

Nope. 2 GB is too less for new gen games. I play all 2013 games on ultra and most games(AC IV Black Flag, Crysis 3, Metro LL) easily max out 2 GB vRAM. It's only natural that next gen games will use 3-4 GB. Watch_Dogs requires 3 GB for Ultra Textures and 4 GB for Ultra Textures+MSAA.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I wouldn't trust Indian reviews to the full extent. According to Digit, HP Envy with core i7 4702MQ beats every other laptop in its category in CPU benchmarks(even Y510 which has 4700MQ).
They are not a lot of trustworthy reviewers in India. In fact, there are none. Digit is heavily biased towards HP and hates Lenovo.

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
....Digit is heavily biased towards HP and hates Lenovo.

:-D

[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION]
what will u say about whether the indian variant of Y50 has the maxwell/kepler core?

afaik..speaking for 2GB version..lenovo's been selling the maxwell variant (atleast for 99% reports I read) in the whole world..so probably it's the same they'll sell here too..
fyi: lenovo's tech/sales department has no idea which one is present(tried 3-4 calls separately; including a min of wait)

Last edited:
OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
:-D

[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION]
what will say about whether the indian variant of Y50 has the maxwell/kepler core?

afaik..speaking for 2GB version..lenovo's been selling the maxwell variant (atleast for 99% reports I read) in the whole world..so probably it's the same they'll sell here too..
fyi: lenovo's tech/sales department has no idea which one is present(tried 3-4 calls separately; including a min of wait)

Only time can answer thy query!

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
Only time can answer thy query!

I have no friggin idea..if anyone* has even ordered the y50 from thedostore yet and will* do a review for us..
only if lenovo could make it more simple for us and clearly mention tech details just like on lenovo US web

amey2606

Broken In
I have no friggin idea..if anyone* has even ordered the y50 from thedostore yet and will* do a review for us..
only if lenovo could make it more simple for us and clearly mention tech details just like on lenovo US web
Yup, seriously.
And the amount of options that the US consumers have, 8 models in total currently, that too only for the Y50 non-touch non-4k option....
Compared to us India, one frigging model with the most basic specs, its really frustrating.
Along with a minimum 4-5 months late launch, no proper specs detail, no solid communication from the Lenovo guys.
Now i see why geeks prefer living in the States.

vineetpratik

Broken In
Nope. 2 GB is too less for new gen games. I play all 2013 games on ultra and most games(AC IV Black Flag, Crysis 3, Metro LL) easily max out 2 GB vRAM. It's only natural that next gen games will use 3-4 GB. Watch_Dogs requires 3 GB for Ultra Textures and 4 GB for Ultra Textures+MSAA.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I wouldn't trust Indian reviews to the full extent. According to Digit, HP Envy with core i7 4702MQ beats every other laptop in its category in CPU benchmarks(even Y510 which has 4700MQ).
They are not a lot of trustworthy reviewers in India. In fact, there are none. Digit is heavily biased towards HP and hates Lenovo.

Yes they can definitely use more than 2gb ram if played at higher resolution than 1080p with maxed out settings, but gtx 860m cant push them to that limit , like Gigabyte P34G v2 with GTX 860M -4GB gives abt 20fps with crysis 3 maxed out,
so for next gen games i don't think gtx 860m would make VRAM reach such heavy usage , hence eliminating performance difference in 2 and 4gb Source - Crysis 3 VGA Graphics Benchmark performance test - Graphics memory - Final Words & Conclusion and Gigabyte P34G v2 Notebook Review - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, seriously.
And the amount of options that the US consumers have, 8 models in total currently, that too only for the Y50 non-touch non-4k option....
Compared to us India, one frigging model with the most basic specs, its really frustrating.
Along with a minimum 4-5 months late launch, no proper specs detail, no solid communication from the Lenovo guys.
Now i see why geeks prefer living in the States.
I am not waiting for a full review from some indian site , rather i just need conformation if it is gtx 860m maxwell , and maybe few lines about screen , nothing more than that , and as said above only time can tell :)

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Yes they can definitely use more than 2gb ram if played at higher resolution than 1080p with maxed out settings, but gtx 860m cant push them to that limit , like Gigabyte P34G v2 with GTX 860M -4GB gives abt 20fps with crysis 3 maxed out,
so for next gen games i don't think gtx 860m would make VRAM reach such heavy usage , hence eliminating performance difference in 2 and 4gb Source - Crysis 3 VGA Graphics Benchmark performance test - Graphics memory - Final Words & Conclusion and Gigabyte P34G v2 Notebook Review - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

I am talking about 1080p. 20 FPS is with SMAA, switch to FXAA and you get a solid 30 FPS in Crysis 3. The FPS doesn't decrease when you don't have enough vRAM. 2GB and 4GB will give the exact same FPS. The problem you will encounter is that the game will freeze for about 3 seconds every time you move a little and then resume as data is copied from HDD onto the GPU vRAM. This effectively renders the game unplayable. You have to reduce the textures to make the game playable again. Even a SSD doesn't solve this. Perhaps 4 SSDs in Raid 0(~2000MBps Read) will reduce this effect.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not waiting for a full review from some indian site , rather i just need conformation if it is gtx 860m maxwell , and maybe few lines about screen , nothing more than that , and as said above only time can tell :)

Chances are Indian reviewers won't know whether it is Maxwell or Kepler. They will be just like "Oh new high end graphic nvidia graphic card(GTX 860m) is supplied by Lenovo" and "graphic performance is supported by nvidia graphics for a solid gaming performance".

rupeshwar

Broken In
In the first image at thedostore the graphic card is written to be n15p-gx which is code name for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M (Maxwell).

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
In the first image at thedostore the graphic card is written to be n15p-gx which is code name for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M (Maxwell).

Device IDs from Aug 2013 nvidia dev drivers:

NVIDIA_DEV.0FCB = "NVIDIA EXK107"
NVIDIA_DEV.0FCD = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M"
NVIDIA_DEV.0FCF = "NVIDIA GEN3 ESI"
NVIDIA_DEV.1198 = "NVIDIA N15E-GX-A2"
NVIDIA_DEV.1199 = "NVIDIA N15E-GT-A2"
NVIDIA_DEV.119A = "NVIDIA N15P-GX-B-A2"
NVIDIA_DEV.119E = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M"
NVIDIA_DEV.11A4 = "NVIDIA GK104-ESA"
NVIDIA_DEV.11A5 = "NVIDIA GK104-ESA "
NVIDIA_DEV.11AC = "NVIDIA GK104-CS"
NVIDIA_DEV.11C8 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 "
NVIDIA_DEV.1295 = "NVIDIA GeForce 710M"
NVIDIA_DEV.1296 = "NVIDIA GeForce N15S-GV"
NVIDIA_DEV.1298 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M"
NVIDIA_DEV.12B9 = "NVIDIA Quadro K610M"
NVIDIA_DEV.12BA = "NVIDIA Quadro K510M

of concern "B-A2" version?

A better version of the IDs here

should be maxwell..

TH got the 4gig maxwell :|
*www.facebook.com/LenovoThailand/posts/300214780140370# (use oogle translator for indie comments)

oh well..non-official rep..? o_O anyways if they're getting maxwell based (that too legit TH variants/non-US/non-grey stuff) then I guess we'll get the maxwell variant as well.

Last edited:
I just hope it carries international warranty like the y510p and y500.
On the lenovo IWS page India is still not included for any model of y50.
It should be included right?

nrvpnchl

Broken In
I am talking about 1080p. 20 FPS is with SMAA, switch to FXAA and you get a solid 30 FPS in Crysis 3. The FPS doesn't decrease when you don't have enough vRAM. 2GB and 4GB will give the exact same FPS. The problem you will encounter is that the game will freeze for about 3 seconds every time you move a little and then resume as data is copied from HDD onto the GPU vRAM. This effectively renders the game unplayable. You have to reduce the textures to make the game playable again. Even a SSD doesn't solve this. Perhaps 4 SSDs in Raid 0(~2000MBps Read) will reduce this effect.

That solid 30 FPS(on 4GB card) would easily drop to 25 or even 20 in some area so for a perfect gaming experience , you'll have to turn down some settings. Ultimately you wont get benefit of extra 2 GB vRAM. If it was 870m or 880m than only 4 GB vRAM makes sense.

Chances are Indian reviewers won't know whether it is Maxwell or Kepler. They will be just like "Oh new high end graphic nvidia graphic card(GTX 860m) is supplied by Lenovo" and "graphic performance is supported by nvidia graphics for a solid gaming performance".
Stole my words :-D:-D

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
That solid 30 FPS(on 4GB card) would easily drop to 25 or even 20 in some area so for a perfect gaming experience , you'll have to turn down some settings. Ultimately you wont get benefit of extra 2 GB vRAM. If it was 870m or 880m than only 4 GB vRAM makes sense.

Nope. My point stands. 30(upto 40) FPS Constant everywhere with FXAA. 20 FPS is when you switch on MSAA.
4 GB has almost become the bare necessity in Watch_Dogs. You can easily go on to Ultra Textures with 4 GB vRAM and it will NOT reduce performance. Meanwhile 2 GB will render the game unplayable.

2GB is alright for GTX 850m but 3-4 GB is the bare minimum for GTX 860m. This is the only reason why the GTX 770m ships with 3 GB vRAM. Trust me, I am speaking as I have experienced these things firsthand.

Top Bottom