The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

vineetpratik

Broken In
^^Maxwell.
Also, Maxwell overclocks very high. It is possible to surpass gtx 870m levels. Although y50 is just too thin for that kind of overclock.

- - - Updated - - -

Lenovo batteries are not for gaming. On battery, lenovo laptops throttle hardcore.

- - - Updated - - -

Not necessarily. Dual cards are better cooled, have a higher memory bus, overclock much better and also are cheaper than their single card siblings.

- - - Updated - - -

Nowadays micro-stuttering is almost non-existant on nvidia cards.

in that case , is buying y510p in india and importing ultrabay gpu + 170watt adapter, a wise descision ? as i cant wait longer that june for msi/y50.
scores on notebookcheck suggest comparable performance of both configurations of cards.
price wise wont importing be still cheap compared to expected y50price..?

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
in that case , is buying y510p in india and importing ultrabay gpu + 170watt adapter, a wise descision ? as i cant wait longer that june for msi/y50.
scores on notebookcheck suggest comparable performance of both configurations of cards.
price wise wont importing be still cheap compared to expected y50price..?

Y50/MSI should provide 20-30% improvement in performance over Y510 SLI imo.

Last edited:
OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
BTW.....GTX 860m's benchies look pretty similar to what I get with my GT 650m SLI heavy OC. Although the overclocked performance should be much much better.

- - - Updated - - -

Although performance should increases after better maxwell drivers are launched.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
BTW.....GTX 860m's benchies look pretty similar to what I get with my GT 650m SLI heavy OC. Although the overclocked performance should be much much better.

I am still running on stock, you know!!! :cool:

Sadly gaming has been sidetracked from my life these days... :evil:

vineetpratik

Broken In
I just saw on notebook check that 820m is fermi 830,840,850, maxwell 860 comes in both Maxwell and kepler and 870,880 in only kepler. why is it so? if Maxwell is better one then why not use it on higher end Cards as well ? or is maxwell more of a gimmick and less significant upgrade??

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I just saw on notebook check that 820m is fermi 830,840,850, maxwell 860 comes in both Maxwell and kepler and 870,880 in only kepler. why is it so? if Maxwell is better one then why not use it on higher end Cards as well ? or is maxwell more of a gimmick and less significant upgrade??

Maxwell is awesome. It reduces the manufacturing technology from 28nm to 22nm(I think). This reduces the heat generation which makes them better overclockers. Nvidia also improved the architecture to provide greater performance per core. Maxwell and Kepler is not practical in the lowest end so Fermi is still used.
In the highest end however, Nvidia is waiting for TSMC to perfect the 22nm manufacturing process. They will be released as 870MX and 880MX just as Kepler was released as 670MX,675MX and 680MX.
Supposedly the higher end Maxwell cards will have an ARM CPU integrated to handle PhysX.

vineetpratik

Broken In
*i.imgur.com/cBmG292.jpg

It looks like it is pretty sure that Y50 shall be launched in july.

btw i wont be buying Y50 if it crosses 85k , and i needed a gaming laptop for my holidays i.e june , hence the wait for Y50 seems to be very tough :p

So should i wait for it or go with y510p and import ultrabay gpu?

---EDIT---
Is there possibility that Lenovo could change the configuration for India?
or maybe opt for a DVD drive version.

Last edited:

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
*i.imgur.com/cBmG292.jpg

It looks like it is pretty sure that Y50 shall be launched in july.

btw i wont be buying Y50 if it crosses 85k , and i needed a gaming laptop for my holidays i.e june , hence the wait for Y50 seems to be very tough :p

So should i wait for it or go with y510p and import ultrabay gpu?

---EDIT---
Is there possibility that Lenovo could change the configuration for India?
or maybe opt for a DVD drive version.

ditto.
I don't want to wait beyond June.. :cry:
though Y50 sure is sexy as hell..only thing which might be a dealbreaker is the price tag they put on the Indian version.

And am pretty sure they'll price it way higher than their american counterpart. Just see what they did to Lenovo Y510P (i7 version) :<

so I guess I'll just wait till the prices drop a bit more due to Y50/MSI's relaunch and then make a final go b/w Y510P/Y50 & MSI.

AFAIK Lenovo will be goin in for a low specc'ed Y50 model for India and will be expensive if they follow the same pricing strategy as they did for Y510P (US/India).

No place for a DVD drive..

Top Bottom