The Lenovo Ideapad Y510p Thread

$hadow

Geek in making
Guys.. My y510p has gone in a boot loop.. Whenever I start the laptop, the lenovo screen comes up, then it is followed by a black screen & then it says "preparing automatic repair".. & then again it boots up..
I can't log onto safe mode nor i am able to use the one touch recovery.

A preliminary Google search says that the HDD might have gone bad and lenovo will replace it..
Now, the main worrying factor is will i be able to backup my data (around 600gb) or is the data lost forever?? Lots of important stuff on it

P.S: Talk about bad luck.. All problems usually occurs on a weekend when service centres are closed

HDD is most probably kaput. When CC guys replace HDD they don't care for the data and chances are you are at a loss. Did you encounter any issue during earlier days because low responsive, slow down is imminent in these scenarios.

vito scalleta

In the zone
Guys.. My y510p has gone in a boot loop.. Whenever I start the laptop, the lenovo screen comes up, then it is followed by a black screen & then it says "preparing automatic repair".. & then again it boots up..
I can't log onto safe mode nor i am able to use the one touch recovery.

A preliminary Google search says that the HDD might have gone bad and lenovo will replace it..
Now, the main worrying factor is will i be able to backup my data (around 600gb) or is the data lost forever?? Lots of important stuff on it

P.S: Talk about bad luck.. All problems usually occurs on a weekend when service centres are closed

you can try booting from a ubuntu live cd

ashs1

Padawan
HDD is most probably kaput. When CC guys replace HDD they don't care for the data and chances are you are at a loss. Did you encounter any issue during earlier days because low responsive, slow down is imminent in these scenarios.
I went to the service centre today and submitted the laptop .. They haven't yet pin pointed the reason for the problem.. I'll call them tomorrow and check..
I inquired them whether they would assist in backing up the data, but they refused.. When I pleaded a bit more( my final semester project was in there+ numerous movies and TV series that I have painfully downloaded over a 512kbps bsnl broadband ).. They said that in case the HDD is kaput,the max they can do is that they'll give me the HDD for taking backup. Cc said that if i am going to a backup/recovery shop, I must be careful as they charge a huge amount.. Anyone knows how much they usually charge?? (approx).
My question is : if the data backup and recovery shop is charging a lot, how do I copy files from an internal HDD to external HDD at home ? Any specific cable?
you can try booting from a ubuntu live cd
that's a great idea, but I've already submitted the laptop.. But I'll keep this in mind for future references.. Thanks bro.

$hadow

Geek in making
Clone the hdd if possible. Besides there are many recovery software available. Do not take the hdd to a shop time for a DIY.
Read these articles
1. Hard Drive Recovery Tips - How to Recover Data from a Dead Hard Drive
2. How Can I Recover Data from a Dead or Erased Hard Drive?

ashs1

Padawan
Finally got the laptop today..fortunately, there was no data loss.. Service centre said it was a problem with the bios..

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Guys Samsung 850 Evo is compatible with Y510p na?

Getting it soon from US by friend or more preferably Onlyssd.

I will remove HDD and place it in a HDD enclosure more preferably this-
Transcend 2.5" Portable HDD Enclosure Casing 25S3 - USB 3.0 *www.amazon.in/dp/B00JTNZP0Y/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_qPfvvb1HH1S73

And put 850 evo in my system with the help of a Lenovo service.Do not wish to loose warranty.

I want to reinstall my window losing installed programs on C partition. But without losing data other partitions. (D and E partitions)
Options I have:

1. Refresh my pc: Not useful
  2. Reset my pc: I'm gonna lose everything
  3. Lenovo OneKey Software : I will lose everything or it will only effect c partition.
  4. Creating a recovery usb

Initially I had windows 8 installed on my laptop Y510p. I upgraded it to 8.1 later on.
Now recovery files for OneKey are of windows 8. So using this method I have downgrade.

Suggest me a best solution.

udit247

Journeyman
I want to reinstall my window losing installed programs on C partition. But without losing data other partitions. (D and E partitions)
Options I have:

1. Refresh my pc: Not useful
  2. Reset my pc: I'm gonna lose everything
  3. Lenovo OneKey Software : I will lose everything or it will only effect c partition.
  4. Creating a recovery usb

Initially I had windows 8 installed on my laptop Y510p. I upgraded it to 8.1 later on.
Now recovery files for OneKey are of windows 8. So using this method I have downgrade.

Suggest me a best solution.

If you can boot into Windows than please take a backup of your important data to external drive to be on the safe side than try to reset your PC and if that didn't help than use Lenovo OneKey software. Or if you are an advanced user than format your PC's drive and reinstall windows 8.1 using the BIOS embedded Windows 8 key.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Udit ...
I have also bought the evo 850 250 gb ssd and have it all set up. I also bought the storite hdd caddy ( which is the same make and model as the one you purchased i believe).
However when I plugin the caddy with the hdd , it doesn't show up as a disk ? Do i need to change anything in the bios ?

Hi
Well if the caddy is Y510p compatible version than it shows up as drive in Explorer without doing any changes in settings. Most probably you have got defective caddy or HDD is not connected to the caddy properly.

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Bought 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo.Now what?

Ok so bought Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB.

On my internal HDD I have no partitions.
Around 700 GB of content.

The questions are-
1. Should I buy a HDD USB 3.0 Enclosure or get a Caddy Bay.
I do sometimes use DVD.

2. I need to get some steam games and some Autodesk Softwares along with office and Windows on SSD.Which software to use while mirroring to SSD?

If Caddy is best option which one to get and from where?

DVD is used once in a month so is it easy to remove Caddy and replace DVD?

Sorry noob with no experience.

Should I approach Lenovo to do this as I have 2 years warranty and it's not hampered?
Please help.

Last edited:

vito scalleta

In the zone
Bought 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo.Now what?

Ok so bought Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB.

On my internal HDD I have no partitions.
Around 700 GB of content.

The questions are-
1. Should I buy a HDD USB 3.0 Enclosure or get a Caddy Bay.
I do sometimes use DVD.

2. I need to get some steam games and some Autodesk Softwares along with office and Windows on SSD.Which software to use while mirroring to SSD?

If Caddy is best option which one to get and from where?

DVD is used once in a month so is it easy to remove Caddy and replace DVD?

Sorry noob with no experience.

Should I approach Lenovo to do this as I have 2 years warranty and it's not hampered?
Please help.

if u are going to be playing games or video editing then u will need the hdd for the storage.
if it is just basic work then keep the dvd drive.
it is pretty easy to switch the dvd drive and hdd..
but if u have programs installed on the hdd then removing it may cause problems.

so essentially make sure u store all the programs on the ssd and you are good to go.

i used aomei tool to move the os partition to the ssd .. the included samsung one produced problems for me

btw ur lap doesnt have an m.2 slot ?

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
if u are going to be playing games or video editing then u will need the hdd for the storage.
if it is just basic work then keep the dvd drive.
it is pretty easy to switch the dvd drive and hdd..
but if u have programs installed on the hdd then removing it may cause problems.

so essentially make sure u store all the programs on the ssd and you are good to go.

i used aomei tool to move the os partition to the ssd .. the included samsung one produced problems for me

btw ur lap doesnt have an m.2 slot ?

Nope didn't buy M.2 2242.
This was better VFM.

I would like to move Autodesk Soft ,Photoshop,Office,Antivirus and 2 steam games CS GO and Dota2 all accounting some 120 GB approx.

But as I have not made partitions in HDD I have some 100 GB of movies in "Videos" folder of Windows,Some tutorials closing 80 GB in same Tutorial folder which is encompassed in C:/Users/XYZ/.......

I do not wish to move these in SSD along with Windows.
What should I do?

vito scalleta

In the zone
Nope didn't buy M.2 2242.
This was better VFM.

I would like to move Autodesk Soft ,Photoshop,Office,Antivirus and 2 steam games CS GO and Dota2 all accounting some 120 GB approx.

But as I have not made partitions in HDD I have some 100 GB of movies in "Videos" folder of Windows,Some tutorials closing 80 GB in same Tutorial folder which is encompassed in C:/Users/XYZ/.......

I do not wish to move these in SSD along with Windows.
What should I do?
Not sure if u can selectively move things while creating a mirror of the OS.
So just move those 180GB of videos to an external HDD temporarily and copy them back afterwards.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Hi guys,

If any old members are still around, they might remember me from the 2008-09 era. Wow, it's been so long since I visited TDF forums.

I have a problem, a big one. 4 months ago, my Lenovo y510p's charger conked off. I have been looking for the 120W replacement charger for 4 months. I called Lenovo, visited service centers, it has been a torture. My Rs. 80,000 worth laptop lies gathering dust. I can neither use it, nor sell it, nor get the data off from it (it only has enough charge to last 15 mins, so I've kept it switched off all these months).

I have tried to contact Lenovo on social media for the last 2 months (you will find my post on the Lenovo India Facebook page every 2 weeks. Same story repeat, they keep saying we are going to contact you shortly with a solution and they disappear.

Little did I know I would have to endure so much to get a simple charger replacement for a 2014 top end spec laptop from a company as big as Lenovo. I finally ordered something from "BooyahChicago" on Amazon.in, only to get a generic branded adapter that isn't even pin-compatible with my y510p.

I am at my wits end. I don't know what to do. I'm desperate. Please, help me get a 120w replacement charger for my laptop.

Model: PA-1121-16
Lenovo P/N: 36200403
S/N: 11S36200403ZZ6003ACBA8

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody?

Last edited:

goldsmit409

Broken In
Hi guys,

If any old members are still around, they might remember me from the 2008-09 era. Wow, it's been so long since I visited TDF forums.

I have a problem, a big one. 4 months ago, my Lenovo y510p's charger conked off. I have been looking for the 120W replacement charger for 4 months. I called Lenovo, visited service centers, it has been a torture. My Rs. 80,000 worth laptop lies gathering dust. I can neither use it, nor sell it, nor get the data off from it (it only has enough charge to last 15 mins, so I've kept it switched off all these months).

I have tried to contact Lenovo on social media for the last 2 months (you will find my post on the Lenovo India Facebook page every 2 weeks. Same story repeat, they keep saying we are going to contact you shortly with a solution and they disappear.

Little did I know I would have to endure so much to get a simple charger replacement for a 2014 top end spec laptop from a company as big as Lenovo. I finally ordered something from "BooyahChicago" on Amazon.in, only to get a generic branded adapter that isn't even pin-compatible with my y510p.

I am at my wits end. I don't know what to do. I'm desperate. Please, help me get a 120w replacement charger for my laptop.

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody?
Lenovo support is quite bad for older models, I was searching for ultrabay graphics card a while back, I contacted support mailed their support manager or someone important (get email id from support site). Nothing, I even tweeted to Lenovo CEO Yuanqing Yang, Lenovo support replied it's not available anymore.

Hi guys,

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody?

You can call and ask if they have the original product and then buy.

Lenovo 120W Original ALL IN ONE Desktop Adaptor | eBay

- - - Updated - - -

This is the same adapter which works fine with my Y500 1x750m, I am almost entirely certain that this will work with Y510p

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
You can call and ask if they have the original product and then buy.

Lenovo 120W Original ALL IN ONE Desktop Adaptor | eBay

- - - Updated - - -

This is the same adapter which works fine with my Y500 1x750m, I am almost entirely certain that this will work with Y510p

Thanks for the ebay link. Are you absolutely certain about the y500 and y510p charger pins being 100% compatible?

Top Bottom