The Lenovo Ideapad Y510p Thread

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
But MyDigitalSSD M.2 2242 128GB is out of stock everywhere and Plextor M6G 128GB NGFF is quite expensive for 128GB. Also performance of Plextor M6G is inferior to MyDigitalSSD Super Cache 2. Its still better to go with Samsung 850 PRO 256GB @ 12K!:-D

Irrelevant point about performance. All new gen SATA 3 SSDs are fast. If your SSD gives you 30MBps more speed over another SSD, your games won't load significantly faster. You will not even notice the difference.

Plextor is one of the best companies to buy an SSD from. They have very high endurance ratings. Plextor>MyDigitalSSD.

Samsung 850 is a very nice drive but you lose the most important thing, the 1 TB HDD. Okay you got it in the ODD but what about SLI? ( [MENTION=159164]$hadow[/MENTION] has SLI) You can't have them both. You gotta remove the HDD to use SLI. People can't store many games in a SSD. HDDs are meant for mass storage not SSDs.

Basically 128GB SSD+1TB HDD>>>>256GB SSD.

$hadow

Geek in making
SSD are never meant for storing data which is in bulk like games or movies. And if you want to use ultra bay you got to select one thing from 3 viz dvd, GPU or SSD.

udit247

Journeyman
Irrelevant point about performance. All new gen SATA 3 SSDs are fast. If your SSD gives you 30MBps more speed over another SSD, your games won't load significantly faster. You will not even notice the difference.

Plextor is one of the best companies to buy an SSD from. They have very high endurance ratings. Plextor>MyDigitalSSD.

Samsung 850 is a very nice drive but you lose the most important thing, the 1 TB HDD. Okay you got it in the ODD but what about SLI? ( [MENTION=159164]$hadow[/MENTION] has SLI) You can't have them both. You gotta remove the HDD to use SLI. People can't store many games in a SSD. HDDs are meant for mass storage not SSDs.

Basically 128GB SSD+1TB HDD>>>>256GB SSD.

Thanks Seamon for enlighten me

- - - Updated - - -

SSD are never meant for storing data which is in bulk like games or movies. And if you want to use ultra bay you got to select one thing from 3 viz dvd, GPU or SSD.

You are absolutely right:-o

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION], [MENTION=241072]udit247[/MENTION] , I am contemplating going the ssd route too.
Have any guide handy which lets me know the pros and cons, things to look out for ? Kind up a dummy's guide to ssd upgrade ?

Queries I have ...
Is there some extra steps I need to take before installing SSD ? How do I ensure windows 8 is installed seamlessly and it boots without problem ?
How can I use the 1 TB HDD inside the laptop ? I would have to remove the optical drive wouldn't i ?
Can I use the optical drive as an External Optical drive after this ?

TIA!

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION], [MENTION=241072]udit247[/MENTION] , I am contemplating going the ssd route too.
Have any guide handy which lets me know the pros and cons, things to look out for ? Kind up a dummy's guide to ssd upgrade ?

Queries I have ...
Is there some extra steps I need to take before installing SSD ? How do I ensure windows 8 is installed seamlessly and it boots without problem ?
How can I use the 1 TB HDD inside the laptop ? I would have to remove the optical drive wouldn't i ?
Can I use the optical drive as an External Optical drive after this ?

TIA!

I think I should write a guide about laptop SSDs.

You can keep the 1 TB HDD by 2 ways:

1)Get Samsung 850 and ODD SATA bay. You insert SSD in primary HDD slot and HDD in ODD slot.
Cons: Basically lose Ultrabay functionality for SLI.

2)Get a M.2 NGFF 2242 SSD from primeabgb. I mentioned the links in my earlier post(preferably the Plextor one) and insert in M.2 slot. However, first open up your laptop and check whether or not you have the M.2 slot and the distance between slot and screw should be nearly 42mm. It should be this way. You won't be voiding your warranty.
Cons: Slighly less gb/rupee ratio.

$hadow

Geek in making
Yeah before buying the m.2 make sure you got the slot coz I read somewhere that they removed that slot in certain models.

udit247

Journeyman

1)Get Samsung 850 and ODD SATA bay. You insert SSD in primary HDD slot and HDD in ODD slot.

2)Get a M.2 NGFF 2242 SSD from primeabgb. I mentioned the links in my earlier post(preferably the Plextor one) and insert in M.2 slot. However, first open up your laptop and check whether or not you have the M.2 slot and the distance between slot and screw should be nearly 42mm. It should be this way. You won't be voiding your warranty.

+1 for you!

- - - Updated - - -

I think most of the people who purchased their Y510p from India will be having M.2 slot. But its always better to check before purchase!
Here's the screenshot of M.2 slot in my Y510p...
*i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g451/iHack3R/DSC_0009_zps33b3169e.jpg

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz

Please do :) and we can get it to be a sticky here. Would be a lot of help to us !!

I haven't opened up a laptop myself, ever. So not sure about it. Desi style do it yourselves are always appreciated!!

What is this ngff ? google time ...
[MENTION=241072]udit247[/MENTION], you are a brave heart. Looking at y510p innards gives me the heebie zeebies ... :) ... thanks though!

udit247

Journeyman
Please do :) and we can get it to be a sticky here. Would be a lot of help to us !!

I haven't opened up a laptop myself, ever. So not sure about it. Desi style do it yourselves are always appreciated!!

What is this ngff ? google time ...
[MENTION=241072]udit247[/MENTION], you are a brave heart. Looking at y510p innards gives me the heebie zeebies ... :) ... thanks though!

Hello Mr. [MENTION=1159]Thor[/MENTION], I know you are one of the worlds most powerful person but you are not a geek!:-D

Here are the simple steps that you can follow to install SSD into your PC:

1). Choose SATA 3 SSD or M.2 NGFF 2242 SSD (Choice is yours, please read previous comment by [MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION])
2). Backup your data to external USB hard drive
3). Download official 64 bit Windows 8.1 Single Language with Update using Windows Media Creation tool (Download from here) or download Windows 8.1 with all updates (Download from here)
4). Transfer the downloaded Windows to USB drive using ZOTAC WinUSB Maker (Make sure to enable UFI support, Download from here)
5). Download all the required latest 64 bit drivers from their official manufacturers or Lenovo website (Note: Official sites have latest drivers)
6). Now shut down you PC and open it up to install SSD (Guide to open your PC is here)
7). Assemble all the things back and power up your PC and go to BIOS settings
8). Under BIOS, enable legacy support and save the settings to restart your PC (Press NOVO button to access BIOS)
9). Shut down your PC once again and press NOVO button to get the option to boot from USB drive
10). Now follow the steps to install the windows (Remember to choose SSD for Windows and format and make partition on other drive for your data)
11). Once Windows is successfully installed go back to BIOS settings and enable UFI support back ON or load Windows 8 defaults and save the settings.
12). Manually install all the drivers using Device Manager.
13). Restart your PC and transfer your backup to HDD.
14). Enjoy your super fast PC!

NOTE:
1). During Windows 8.1 Single Language installation Windows will not ask for keys because it will get them from BIOS automatically and will get activated once connected to the internet.
2). OKR functionality will be lost in this process, if you want to get that than you need to have OKR 8.0 (Search on Google/Bing baba) and format your SSD using that tool.
3). Please enable Over Provisioning in your SSD to get maximum performance and life using the supplied official tool.

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
^That or

1)Reduce the entire HDD to ~60-70 GB(as per SSD). Backup the rest into external USB drive.
2)Copy the entire HDD(now 60-70 GB) unto new SSD using AOMEI partition manager.
3)Boot from SSD and format HDD.

Much simpler and does not require a windows re-install.

udit247

Journeyman
^That or

1)Reduce the entire HDD to ~60-70 GB(as per SSD). Backup the rest into external USB drive.
2)Copy the entire HDD(now 60-70 GB) unto new SSD using AOMEI partition manager.
3)Boot from SSD and format HDD.

Much simpler and does not require a windows re-install.

Fresh install has its own different charm..:wink:

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
[MENTION=17793]Udit[/MENTION]47, [MENTION=159164]$hadow[/MENTION], [MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] ! Life savers !! Thanks I will go through these in detail and tell you how far I am into the path of geekdom. Thanks appreciate the time you take to guide here.

Any chance of speaking to the mods and get it to be the first post of this thread ? Speed up your y510p, the ssd way - dummies guide!

$hadow

Geek in making
Nah now there is a guide for ssd related issues and for any other laptop related query we are here and happy to help.

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Ok guys!
Require an SSD upgrade.

Remembered [MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] was telling to get M.2 NGFF SSDs.
I am a noob and have shortlisted these-

Amazon.com: MyDigitalSSD 128GB (120GB) Super Boot Eco Drive 42mm SATA III 6G M.2 NGFF 2242 SSD Solid State Drive - MDM242-SBe-128: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM): Computers & Accessories

Is it worth the price of importing?
Which SSD to go?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Ok guys!
Require an SSD upgrade.

Remembered [MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] was telling to get M.2 NGFF SSDs.
I am a noob and have shortlisted these-

Amazon.com: MyDigitalSSD 128GB (120GB) Super Boot Eco Drive 42mm SATA III 6G M.2 NGFF 2242 SSD Solid State Drive - MDM242-SBe-128: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM): Computers & Accessories

Is it worth the price of importing?
Which SSD to go?

Both of them should work. Do your research before going the M.2 2242 path. Check if you have the slot or not and whether the connector is soldered to the mobo. You have to open up the laptop for this.
If you don't plan on going SLI, then Samsung 850 Evo is recommended, otherwise M.2 2242 is the way to go.

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Both of them should work. Do your research before going the M.2 2242 path. Check if you have the slot or not and whether the connector is soldered to the mobo. You have to open up the laptop for this.
If you don't plan on going SLI, then Samsung 850 Evo is recommended, otherwise M.2 2242 is the way to go.

I cannot remove dvd as of now.
Is M.2 a separate empty slot?
I also don't plan to remove HDD.

Top Bottom