The Lenovo Ideapad Y510p Thread

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
though a forumer had confirmed..but can anyone confirm it one more time about the presence of the SSD m2.NGFF slot on the version available from WSRetail and/or #FK ?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
though a forumer had confirmed..but can anyone confirm it one more time about the presence of the SSD m2.NGFF slot on the version available from WSRetail and/or #FK ?

M.2 NGFF cards are barely available in USA let alone India. OnlySSD sells PCIE M.2 NGFF cards which are too long to fit inside laptops.
I read somewhere that Y510ps without the caching SSDs have a M.2 slot but it not soldered to the mobo to save cost rendering it practically useless.

NETBOY

Broken In
I own a Y510p and would like to buy a IPS LED monitor.
I have shortlisted AOC i 2369VM.

Any other suggestion please??

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
M.2 NGFF cards are barely available in USA let alone India. OnlySSD sells PCIE M.2 NGFF cards which are too long to fit inside laptops.
I read somewhere that Y510ps without the caching SSDs have a M.2 slot but it not soldered to the mobo to save cost rendering it practically useless.

for $132'ish (dnt remember exactly; heard somewhere in a vid off youtube) you can get a 128GB ngff :-D

oh and I saw the pic of an indian owner posting his ngff slot's pic (2x) many posts back..

Last edited:

vito scalleta

In the zone
i bought the laptop hdd caddy from ebay for rs.750
Universal 9.5mm Laptop Optical Bay Hard Disk SATA to SATA HDD Caddy
It fit my WD 320 gb hard disk well . I took the face plate out of my ODD put it on the caddy and it fit.
Going to replace the hdd with a Samsung evo 120gb ssd next week.
And i have also ordered DigiFlip GM001 Gaming USB 2.0 Optical Mouse cause i find it very difficult to click the left mouse button on y510p.
Btw My model with core i7, glossy wedge screen full hd, 24gb ssd cache cost me Rs.58000. I bought it from US through my brother.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
M.2 NGFF SSDs are now available in India.
You can get from onlyssd.com. Here's the link:

Plextor M6G 128GB mSATA SSD (PX-128M6G-2242)

Even though it says msata, it's actually M.2 NGFF. You can see the connectors which proves it's M.2. A quick google search will yield that Plextor M6G is the M.2 lineup.

Caution: It is advised to check whether or not Y510p has a M.2 connector and whether or not it is soldered to the mobo. I refuse to take responsibility for for irresponsible purchases done without researching.

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
M.2 NGFF SSDs are now available in India.
You can get from onlyssd.com. Here's the link:

Plextor M6G 128GB mSATA SSD (PX-128M6G-2242)

Even though it says msata, it's actually M.2 NGFF. You can see the connectors which proves it's M.2. A quick google search will yield that Plextor M6G is the M.2 lineup.

Caution: It is advised to check whether or not Y510p has a M.2 connector and whether or not it is soldered to the mobo. I refuse to take responsibility for for irresponsible purchases done without researching.

nice find:)

oh and I managed to squeeze good FPS (multiplayer*) while maintaining the temps in ArmA3:

very high/ultra gfx settings @30FPS with occasional drops to 25FPS(in MP mode its the server crapping out ..so nothing can be done here) for ArmA3 in Multiplayer mode maintaining an avg of 75*C with occasional highs of 81*C in the beginning and lows of ~62*C..so in short highest I get is in the med. 70's and lowest as lower 60's:cool:

Last edited:

ashs1

Padawan
guys, i have a couple of doubts :

1. The Touchpad reacts erratically sometimes. Is there any way to solve this ? I checked the settings & it has a ELAN pad :/

2. I got it shipped with Win8. I checked it for updates &" found 85 Important updates & 3 optional updates" yet to be downloaded + win 8.1 update ( 3.6 gb ).
Previously, when i had vista, The updates slowed down my PC & i had to use system restore. Is it the same case here ? or is it safe to install the windows update & the 8.1 update ?

3. what is the use of Nvidia GeForce Experience software ?? Its popping up a reminder to update to 2.1.1. :? The Current Geforce Driver version is 311.54.

4. Any good/cheap Laptop coolers suggestions ? :)

5. I'll be Uninstalling the pre-installed Mcafee after its trial period..Is Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2014 good ?? ( Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2014 1 PC 3 Year - Buy Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2014 1 PC 3 Year Online at Best Prices in India - Kaspersky | Flipkart.com )

Deleted loads of Setups/songs/wallpapers copied by the retailer for my use( Kundli Pro, really #$&& ??? :-x )..HDD seems a bit on the slower side.( maybe as it has a 5400rpm one )..
As a Former Windows Vista User, windows8 UI was a big change for me...Navigating through windows 8 with the erratic mousepad is insane :p..

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
guys, i have a couple of doubts :

1. The Touchpad reacts erratically sometimes. Is there any way to solve this ? I checked the settings & it has a ELAN pad :/

2. I got it shipped with Win8. I checked it for updates &" found 85 Important updates & 3 optional updates" yet to be downloaded + win 8.1 update ( 3.6 gb ).
Previously, when i had vista, The updates slowed down my PC & i had to use system restore. Is it the same case here ? or is it safe to install the windows update & the 8.1 update ?

3. what is the use of Nvidia GeForce Experience software ?? Its popping up a reminder to update to 2.1.1. :? The Current Geforce Driver version is 311.54.

4. Any good/cheap Laptop coolers suggestions ? :)

5. I'll be Uninstalling the pre-installed Mcafee after its trial period..Is Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2014 good ?? ( Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2014 1 PC 3 Year - Buy Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2014 1 PC 3 Year Online at Best Prices in India - Kaspersky | Flipkart.com )

1.Bad luck. Try installing latest drivers.
2.This is not Vista. Feel free to update.
3.Update Nvidia drivers. GeForce experience optimizes games. Just a gimmicky thing.
4.Cooler Master Notepal U3.
5.I had kicked the trash Mcafee the very first day and installed KIS.

ashs1

Padawan
ok..so i've installed some basic softwares.

1. Media Player - VLC
2. recovery -recuva
3. optimization - CCleaner
4. Torrent - Utorrent
5. Browser - Chrome
6. Downloader - IDM
7. CPU/GPU temp. Checks : HWMonitor

Any other basic apps i am missing ??

I had a couple of n00b doubts :

1. in HWMonitor , i noticed Core#0, Core#1 & Package temps. Can anyone please these explain to me ? & what are the expected temp. During IDLE( eg : torrent download ), NORMAL ( browsing, watching movies ) & GAMING Mode ?? at what temp. should i be alarmed ? ( Guessing 90+ )

2. Much more n00b question... :p

is there any difference in terms of features in the following choice ?
a. Buying a 3 Year kaspersky 2014 antivirus license.?
B. Buying a separate license each year for KIS 2014, 2015 & 2016 ??

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
ok..so i've installed some basic softwares.

1. Media Player - VLC
2. recovery -recuva
3. optimization - CCleaner
4. Torrent - Utorrent
5. Browser - Chrome
6. Downloader - IDM
7. CPU/GPU temp. Checks : HWMonitor

Any other basic apps i am missing ??

I had a couple of n00b doubts :

1. in HWMonitor , i noticed Core#0, Core#1 & Package temps. Can anyone please these explain to me ? & what are the expected temp. During IDLE( eg : torrent download ), NORMAL ( browsing, watching movies ) & GAMING Mode ?? at what temp. should i be alarmed ? ( Guessing 90+ )

2. Much more n00b question... :p

is there any difference in terms of features in the following choice ?
a. Buying a 3 Year kaspersky 2014 antivirus license.?
B. Buying a separate license each year for KIS 2014, 2015 & 2016 ??

1. Should get alarmed at 90+. Even 95 is fine for a short while(1-2 hrs).
2.a.3 year? I think its 3 users in which case the license will expire 1 year after the first one was activated.
b.Yes.

YaasshDh

Right off the assembly line
Has anyone here been able to add an SSD in the M2 slot or replaced the HDD with an SSD for the 59-390016 model? Or has anyone opened up the back and verified if the laptop has a M2 slot? Please help

Talking about this model
Lenovo Ideapad Y510 (59-390016) Laptop (4th Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Rs.76109 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Ideapad Y510 (59-390016) Laptop (4th Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Black Online - Lenovo: Flipkart.com

geek_rocker

Broken In
Question about the Onekey recovery: I heard it won't work if you partition the drive? I always used to clean install windows and make different partitions data and OS for my earlier computers but it I won't be doing that with this. What are you guys doing on your machines?

priyankgupta

Journeyman
Question about the Onekey recovery: I heard it won't work if you partition the drive? I always used to clean install windows and make different partitions data and OS for my earlier computers but it I won't be doing that with this. What are you guys doing on your machines?

The salesman told me that OneKey Recovery wouldn't work if I partition the drive.
I am using the original partitions (that is, C drive and D drive).
If you really wish to create partitions, it would be a better idea to create a recovery disk on a flash drive or DVDs.

intruder16

Right off the assembly line
Has anyone here been able to add an SSD in the M2 slot or replaced the HDD with an SSD for the 59-390016 model? Or has anyone opened up the back and verified if the laptop has a M2 slot? Please help

Talking about this model
Lenovo Ideapad Y510 (59-390016) Laptop (4th Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Rs.76109 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Ideapad Y510 (59-390016) Laptop (4th Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Black Online - Lenovo: Flipkart.com

Don't know if SSD will work or not (didn't tried it myself) but good news is 59-390016 model does have a slot. I have posted pics couple of pages back. Here it is.

P.S. The pic quality is not great...thats cz i installed a custom android ROM on my device which f***ed up my camera.

Your'e right OKR won't work if you re-partition. But acc to the procedure on this link it should work.
My advice, forget OKR. Download Macrium Reflect. Its much better. Using it for months.

Top Bottom