The Lenovo Ideapad Y510p Thread

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Your Y510p was DOA too?

I am guessing if you buy Y50 it will be DOA too, don't wanna discourage or anything but I think you should try some other brand. Lenovo seems to be bad luck for you.

Y50 will probably be released after 1-1.5 months after it's US debut.

$hadow

Geek in making
This thread has reached 1000 post.
But bad luck is something which always follow you if you stuck it for one particular brand. And believe me it is what will always follow since had a bad experience with LG. Always avoids it.

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Since I got the DOA... I think the gud news is y50 coming this March ....bad news no India scheduled date...maybe in another 2 weeks after US release......

See below... (ignore spelling mistakes, I use my Note 3 for typing and got this very bad habit of typing ultra fast...courtesy Blackberry phones lol)

Customer Chat

Chat Transcript

Please wait while we connect with you with a Lenovo Chat Representative.

You have been connected to ^Kalayana Ranam.

^Kalayana Ranam:* Thank you for contacting Lenovo Sales Chat. My name is Kalyan and my Rep ID is 2900713399. Happy to help you today.

^Kalayana Ranam:* Hey Nishant, how are you today?

Nishant:* Hello

^Kalayana Ranam:* How may I assist you on your purchase today?

Nishant:* I got 2 questions for you so wont take much time.

Nishant:* Im doing well, thabk you for asking

^Kalayana Ranam:* Sure.

^Kalayana Ranam:* Please go ahead.

Nishant:* **thank... (on a mobile)

Nishant:* Y50 is upgraded veraion of y510p

Nishant:* Version

^Kalayana Ranam:* Yes.

^Kalayana Ranam:* It is expected to be released by the end of this month in US.

Nishant:* Have you got any date for its release or expected price range

Nishant:* For India?

^Kalayana Ranam:* Unfortunately, we do not have information on this.

^Kalayana Ranam:* Product's and Price details are Country specific.

^Kalayana Ranam:* We are Dedicated Sales support team on chat for US.

Nishant:* I just bought y510p and got DOA for it within 3days

^Kalayana Ranam:* For more information you can contact Lenovo 1-800-3000-9990 (Toll Free)

Nishant:* So if y50 is coming within 2 weeks ... I think I can wait for that, provided its India release

^Kalayana Ranam:* Yes, I can not guarantee the release date in India.

Nishant:* Also, I need to ask you a favor, im sure you can assist me in that...is y510p closing down around y50 release?

^Kalayana Ranam:* No.

^Kalayana Ranam:* It is not going to get disconnected.

Nishant:* You sure Bud?

^Kalayana Ranam:* Yes.

Nishant:* Coz its like 75000inr for y510p. ..lol

^Kalayana Ranam:* I understand.

^Kalayana Ranam:* It is one of the Top Sold product in Lenovo.

Nishant:* Pand I wouldnt like to buy a closed down machine...hope you understand...

^Kalayana Ranam:* I am sorry, I didn't get you.

Nishant:* You have no idea...lol...last year bought y500 went for Doa too...some good gentleman helped and advised to wait for y510p...so j have been unlucky twice

^Kalayana Ranam:* I understand now.

^Kalayana Ranam:* Not to worry.

^Kalayana Ranam:* Nishant, the current model is one of the best sold product.

Nishant:* So thatsy I want to be sure because its huge amount for a laptop and I think helping a fellow peer is what you can do best

Nishant:* So if its scheduled release in US for March end....any idea what price?

^Kalayana Ranam:* It can only be known once the product is released.

Nishant:* Gotcha

Nishant:* Ty for your time and help buddy

^Kalayana Ranam:* Glad to be of some help.

^Kalayana Ranam:* It's a pleasure working with you today. Please include my Rep ID 2900713399 while you place your order, it will be highly appreciated. It will help me track your order.

To ensure that we are always improving our service, you may receive a survey invitation at the end of the chat session to tell us what you think about our products and services. Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

Thank you for contacting Lenovo Sales Chat. Have a Great Time.

^Kalayana Ranam:* You will get a feedback pop-up if you click on End chat. Please leave your valuable feedback to serve you better.

Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

Input Area

Send

End chat

Images

Dude I was about to purchase Y510p from my dealer friend!
He actually didn't knew my main purpose!After making him aware he asked me to wait for 2 months as new y40-y50 would have a powerful Raedon for CAD.

I suggest you to wait!
Lenovo has got huge response in India.It has not simply become best seller brand in India!

He said that from release date he alone has sold 200 pieces including prominent sales from y510 and z510!

ETA does depend on country!Acc to him Y50 may be out by June end!Not sure!He was just telling by experience !

So I am waiting and advice you too because Maxwell is quite sweet upgrade!

My wait is for 1800p screen though !

starbearer

Broken In
Y50 is a serious bet to wait for but not sure if I can do that...lolz
True that y50 is an upgraded version but it has 4th gen i7 could be same 4700 or 4702 as per sources, has gtx video card or ati as per size(14 for ati and nvidia for 15). Also, no optical drive, ssd is now included plus touchscreen, 2 exhaust vents..

so 15inch size with 1tb with ssd and 4gb video card plus 4k screen has to be around 90000..but if reduced to non touch and 1080p the price might be around 75k..which I will gun for...

As for badluck.....saala ek baar to sahi cheez leykar hi rahunga!!!! Hahahahahaha

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Dude I was about to purchase Y510p from my dealer friend!
He actually didn't knew my main purpose!After making him aware he asked me to wait for 2 months as new y40-y50 would have a powerful Raedon for CAD.

I suggest you to wait!
Lenovo has got huge response in India.It has not simply become best seller brand in India!

He said that from release date he alone has sold 200 pieces including prominent sales from y510 and z510!

ETA does depend on country!Acc to him Y50 may be out by June end!Not sure!He was just telling by experience !

So I am waiting and advice you too because Maxwell is quite sweet upgrade!

My wait is for 1800p screen though !

Firstly, Maxwell is for Nvidia and not Radeon.
Lenovo has never used AMD cards for it's high end segment and I doubt Y50 will be any different. Many speculate that it will have a high end GTX card to run games at 4k possibly even SLI(like they did with Aorus X7 which packs GT 765m SLI). It will have a slightly weaker core i7 4702MQ to reduce heat output.

Also, it has 2160p and not 1800p but I think that's gonna be hookin expensive. 4k TVs cost more than 3 lakh and i think a 4k panel would cost more than 1 lakh. FHD panel version will be a lot cheaper imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Y50 is a serious bet to wait for but not sure if I can do that...lolz
True that y50 is an upgraded version but it has 4th gen i7 could be same 4700 or 4702 as per sources, has gtx video card or ati as per size(14 for ati and nvidia for 15). Also, no optical drive, ssd is now included plus touchscreen, 2 exhaust vents..

so 15inch size with 1tb with ssd and 4gb video card plus 4k screen has to be around 90000..but if reduced to non touch and 1080p the price might be around 75k..which I will gun for...

As for badluck.....saala ek baar to sahi cheez leykar hi rahunga!!!! Hahahahahaha

BTW 4702MQ is better than 4700MQ for thin laptops due to less heat output. 4k screen will costs more than 1 lakh.

1TB SSD costs 40k alone so it will be a SSHD which costs more like 5k.

I am guessing it will have a GTX 870M/GTX 860M which are quite powerful and suit thin laptops. GTX 880m will be impractical due to heat output which would set the laptop on fire lol.

starbearer

Broken In
Cant say wats impractical...coz their design for this laptop to include 4gb video card provided by gtx will surely be a heat bunker....also adding 4k screen which would be only used more for movies and designing and less for gaming (not sure and cant say)....so yes price has to be on a higher side.

what Im gunning for is 1080p with 1tb hdd and 8gb ssd also gtx vid card(2gb or 4gb, doesnt matter gtx is guuuud enuff)...so ultrabay no more an option with y50....I think I will wait :)

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Cant say wats impractical...coz their design for this laptop to include 4gb video card provided by gtx will surely be a heat bunker....also adding 4k screen which would be only used more for movies and designing and less for gaming (not sure and cant say)....so yes price has to be on a higher side.

what Im gunning for is 1080p with 1tb hdd and 8gb ssd also gtx vid card(2gb or 4gb, doesnt matter gtx is guuuud enuff)...so ultrabay no more an option with y50....I think I will wait :)

GTX 780m with 1536 cuda cores are enough to heat up even Clevo laptops. GTX 880m is essentially a OCed version of the same. If lenovo puts it into Y50 then it will probably melt the poor laptop. GTX 870m is viable though.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW how many GBs of vRam it has no impact on GPU performance but instead it depends on no. of shaders/cuda cores. In this case 4 GB is still required to power the 4k screen.

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
GTX 780m with 1536 cuda cores are enough to heat up even Clevo laptops. GTX 880m is essentially a OCed version of the same. If lenovo puts it into Y50 then it will probably melt the poor laptop. GTX 870m is viable though.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW how many GBs of vRam it has no impact on GPU performance but instead it depends on no. of shaders/cuda cores. In this case 4 GB is still required to power the 4k screen.

Acc. To NBR forums Y50 would have a max of 860M which would exceed 770m in performance!

Forgot to mention the reduced weight of 3/4th pound compared to y510p

falcongamer

Broken In
The moment I decide on buying a laptop, another better one surfaces lol!

How long would Y50 take to come to India? Assuming it releases in April-May in the US, it would come to India in June-July. Am I right?

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
The moment I decide on buying a laptop, another better one surfaces lol!

How long would Y50 take to come to India? Assuming it releases in April-May in the US, it would come to India in June-July. Am I right?

As per ETA it's correct!But you don't actually know inside a company what is going on!
Totally depends on Lenovo India and Lenovo China teams!

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Acc. To NBR forums Y50 would have a max of 860M which would exceed 770m in performance!

Forgot to mention the reduced weight of 3/4th pound compared to y510p

GTX 860m benchmarks are out, it's performance is comparable to GT 755m sli and GT 770m. I personally compared the benchmarks with my GT 650m sli OC and the performance is exactly same.
GTX 860m is barely sufficient to power FHD screen, to game at 4k one would probably have to reduce settings to very low.

Although it may be possible that the Y50 will have GTX 870m instead of GTX 860m as others companies such as Razer and MSI have incorporated the same in their ultra-thin laptops.

starbearer

Broken In
For y50:

Options for graphic card @4gb and 2gb....best guess 4gb for 4k screen

Options for screen @ 4k and 1080p

Options for memory @ 8gb and 16gb....best guess 16gb for 4k and 4gb graphic card whereas 8gb for 1080p and 2gb card.

For y40:
So far only update is that it will have only ATI not Nvidia. So again 8gb and 16gb models.....not sure if they would incorporate 4k in 14inch...seems impossible at ATI level.

Release date:

March end as per sources....Lenovo US ambassador says starting at 699$(wattt?)
Another floating rumour is....its releasing same time in China and US so India could be in their mind for same scheduled release....seems to good to believe tho...

Rest will be history....hope for the best :)

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
The best jhand will be when Lenovo doesn't release 4k screen in India just as it didn't release SLI in India which was Y500/Y510p's greatest selling point.
Possible.

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
The best jhand will be when Lenovo doesn't release 4k screen in India just as it didn't release SLI in India which was Y500/Y510p's greatest selling point.
Possible.

Very low possibility as Dell & HP have released 1800p with Workstation!
Plus Envy 15 series with 1800p is arriving!

Surely model will be priced above 1.1L.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Very low possibility as Dell & HP have released 1800p with Workstation!
Plus Envy 15 series with 1800p is arriving!

Surely model will be priced above 1.1L.

Let's see what happens. I guess soon Notebookchecknet will shift the "ultra" category benchmarks to 4k.

starbearer

Broken In
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION]....

Jhand....love it lolz

- - - Updated - - -

For Z50/Z40:
Giving options to consumers...wow or whoa?
Lenovo CES 2014 Z40 & Z50 Preview (HD):

*youtu.be/9Iokd1c9Kkw

For Y50/Y40:
The end to argument. ..finally for everyone.
Lenovo CES 2014 Y40 & Y50 Preview (HD):

*youtu.be/qzJRkwuozow

njoi!

DukeSan27

Right off the assembly line
I guess you'll never be able to enable SLI, there's a rumor floating around that Lenovo deliberately underpowered the SLI PCI-e type slot to not allow SLI in models of Y510p which do not have SLI by default.

Well SLI does work!

But before that an update from my temperature issues. My gaming needs are for BF4 primarily so everything is based upon that. I tried a Targus cooling pad, was lying around, did not help at all. Then I installed a 140mm fan running at 12v under my laptop bedstand. That helped a bit, maybe 1-2 degrees.

Next, I throttled the CPU to 1.8ghz and under-volted by 100mV. This is enough for BF4 as it does not use more 60% CPU anyway. Since CPU/GPU share the same cooling framework, this helped a lot. Down by 4-5 degress.

Last and best, I installed the SLI card. And temperatures are down to a peak of low 80s for GPUs and mid-70s for CPU. Apparently, both GPUs are only running at 70-75% usage (BF4 settings high, fps limited to 60), so this helps a lot.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Well SLI does work!

But before that an update from my temperature issues. My gaming needs are for BF4 primarily so everything is based upon that. I tried a Targus cooling pad, was lying around, did not help at all. Then I installed a 140mm fan running at 12v under my laptop bedstand. That helped a bit, maybe 1-2 degrees.

Next, I throttled the CPU to 1.8ghz and under-volted by 100mV. This is enough for BF4 as it does not use more 60% CPU anyway. Since CPU/GPU share the same cooling framework, this helped a lot. Down by 4-5 degress.

Last and best, I installed the SLI card. And temperatures are down to a peak of low 80s for GPUs and mid-70s for CPU. Apparently, both GPUs are only running at 70-75% usage (BF4 settings high, fps limited to 60), so this helps a lot.

Guess then Lenovo did not underpower Indian Y510p's SLI bridge. How did you import the SLI card? Mind sharing your experience?

DukeSan27

Right off the assembly line
Guess then Lenovo did not underpower Indian Y510p's SLI bridge. How did you import the SLI card? Mind sharing your experience?

I used Ishopinternational, about 13k when the card was at $150. I think it dropped to $100 later so might be even cheaper overall now.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I used Ishopinternational, about 13k when the card was at $150. I think it dropped to $100 later so might be even cheaper overall now.

congratz.
BTW you can easily max out BF 4. SSAA off. I play it with max settings. 2 80mm fans underneath it running @ 12v.

Top Bottom