The Lenovo Ideapad Y510p Thread

$hadow

Geek in making
Seriously high temps lol.
Also, did you get the 24gb ssd cache seperately? or is it there in every model?
I'm buying from the dostore tomorrow evening. :D
Well the ssd is on the way and reaching India by the next week. My brother is getting one from Canada

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
Guys sorry i am not able to find time to put up some benchmark results but today tried out battlefield3.
Settings: 1080p all ultra except AA off and SSAO
FPS: Above 30 all time with an avg of 38-39
Temp: CPU- max 90
GPU- max 86

Do me a favor and try to play bishock infinite since mine hs reached 97 degree in just 15 mins of play

i would be seriously worried if CPU/GPU temps reach 80+ ... I doubt if the GPU is actually heating up due to its own...rather... it might be that the CPU and GPU in the Y500/510p share the same heat sink for both the chips.
but still.... 90*C for the CPU is unjustified...

Have u guys checked if the CPU is in turbo mode all the time..? that might be the major reason.

Maverick03

Broken In
i would be seriously worried if CPU/GPU temps reach 80+ ... I doubt if the GPU is actually heating up due to its own...rather... it might be that the CPU and GPU in the Y500/510p share the same heat sink for both the chips.

Have u guys checked if the CPU is in turbo mode all the time..? that might be the major reason.

It wasn't at 90 C continuously but that was the max it reached and considering my previous laptop which was samsung 3rd gen i5 and gt650m ddr3 , it used be around 95-97 for CPU and 91-92 for GPU continuously. I believe 80+ C temps are normal for gaming and but 95+ is not.

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
It wasn't at 90 C continuously but that was the max it reached and considering my previous laptop which was samsung 3rd gen i5 and gt650m ddr3 , it used be around 95-97 for CPU and 91-92 for GPU continuously. I believe 80+ C temps are normal for gaming and but 95+ is not.

it might be because bf3 is cpu extensive... hence the higher temps cause in my y500... the max gpu temp i got is 76 i guess... and max cpu till date being 83 after hours of AC3...

could you post some screen shots of HWmonitor when the system is idle , normal usage and also during gaming? i'm really interested in those.

and possibly, if u have performed a 3dmark.. it would be welcome too!

but pls... do post the temps screenshot Asap!
cant wait!
Thanks!

dbehera28

The Torquey Guy

Folks,

Inadequate ventilation could be another possible reason/factor for such soaring temperatures.
I remember when I got my Y510p about 2 weeks back, I noticed that the CPU/GPU temperatures reached 86/77 C (Hawx 2/ NFS Shift 2 Unleashed - Ultra High Settings). Now just by raising the laptop a few inches (i used small raising pads for the same), I noticed that max temperatures reached 79/70 C.
Please ensure that the bottom of your laptop is adequately ventilated especially the area around the sink.

About 4 days back, I got this from Flipkart: Cooler Master Notepal XL Cooling Pad - Cooler Master: Flipkart.com
Now I play for hours without worrying about heating. :cool:

jpcsmail

Right off the assembly line
i have searched this laptop in jaipur and it's cost varies between 71700 to 76000
rates are varying even in 2 shops which are 10 feet apart b/w 72000 and 75500

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
for those who are facing laptop heating problems.. here is a note for them.

I have dealt with such over-heating problem for two years with my old XPS 15 with GT435M. I had over-clocked it to a GT445M and it has let me play games with decent FPS in mid settings from the-then until buying of the new one in siggy.

Temps used to reach 95-96. The main reason for not letting a GPU temp above 90 is throttling, 97-100deg is the TjMAX for any circuit board and that threshold entails the danger of circuit damage. So high-end laptops such as XPS had their in built fail-safe mech to prevent it by quickly under-clocking the GPU further to its base clock or even lower to counterbalance the heat level. Also the thermostat in its purest form in any latest gen laptop engages the increased fan speed and throws super-hot air outta of the vents to ramp down temp.

Throttling has its major disadvantage as it will quickly make the card under perform under stressful game areas such has where HBAO or MSAA enabled, lightning effects, high-quality PhyX and all...so you'll readily feel the FPS drop and thus feel it lagging ( a relative feeling of lag even if its 35+ to 30 and is still playable )which is annoying. Moreover the latest GPU boost 2.0 works on the temp threshold to deliver more frame rates than usual and thats why for you guys having 750M need to focus or serious cooling.

Please note that the functional dependency of laptop coolers is on basic thermodynamics and thus limited here in India thanks to its weather texture. Coolers, however expensive they are and however good mesh quality they have, CAN NOT deliver real "cooling" for they do not have the dynamics of PV/T comp-decomp by third party evaporators. They only circulate ambient air with into the hot areas down the lappy trying to circumvent the air flow system to make a new system with lesser temp. But whats the point in that if the ambient air is already hot enough to defy it. Which happens most of the cases. No surprise if cooler is only able to decrease 2-5 deg only.

Later on when the circuit board gets old and dusty, it develops static, and attracts more particles and more and then generates more heat and also becomes more sensitive to it. I suggest, do something with your improvisational mind to increase the effectiveness of the cooler, or run the pad in an AC room or so always. Better buy coolers with adjustable fans down the mesh area to fit right beneath the inflow vents. one can also innovate stuff more air speed and also water vapor cooling chambers tweaking with a cooler. Share your ideas...

rider

as Kratos
I'm using 22 months old hp dv6-6165tx laptop. It never reached above 92*C ever after intense gaming. GPU surprisingly remains much cooler than the CPU. CPU usually remains under 80-85*C and GPU under 75*C in an hour of gaming.

udit247

Journeyman
Yeh how abut a chicken tandoori :-D

:razz::razz:

I would advise all the high end laptop user that they should get a good cooling pad like Cooler Master Notepal L1 and always use AC in your room when you play Heavy Games especially in Hot Indian Summers!

I have dealt with such over-heating problem for two years with my old XPS 15 with GT435M. I had over-clocked it to a GT445M and it has let me play games with decent FPS in mid settings from the-then until buying of the new one in siggy.

Temps used to reach 95-96. The main reason for not letting a GPU temp above 90 is throttling, 97-100deg is the TjMAX for any circuit board and that threshold entails the danger of circuit damage. So high-end laptops such as XPS had their in built fail-safe mech to prevent it by quickly under-clocking the GPU further to its base clock or even lower to counterbalance the heat level. Also the thermostat in its purest form in any latest gen laptop engages the increased fan speed and throws super-hot air outta of the vents to ramp down temp.

Throttling has its major disadvantage as it will quickly make the card under perform under stressful game areas such has where HBAO or MSAA enabled, lightning effects, high-quality PhyX and all...so you'll readily feel the FPS drop and thus feel it lagging ( a relative feeling of lag even if its 35+ to 30 and is still playable )which is annoying. Moreover the latest GPU boost 2.0 works on the temp threshold to deliver more frame rates than usual and thats why for you guys having 750M need to focus or serious cooling.

Please note that the functional dependency of laptop coolers is on basic thermodynamics and thus limited here in India thanks to its weather texture. Coolers, however expensive they are and however good mesh quality they have, CAN NOT deliver real "cooling" for they do not have the dynamics of PV/T comp-decomp by third party evaporators. They only circulate ambient air with into the hot areas down the lappy trying to circumvent the air flow system to make a new system with lesser temp. But whats the point in that if the ambient air is already hot enough to defy it. Which happens most of the cases. No surprise if cooler is only able to decrease 2-5 deg only.

Later on when the circuit board gets old and dusty, it develops static, and attracts more particles and more and then generates more heat and also becomes more sensitive to it. I suggest, do something with your improvisational mind to increase the effectiveness of the cooler, or run the pad in an AC room or so always. Better buy coolers with adjustable fans down the mesh area to fit right beneath the inflow vents. one can also innovate stuff more air speed and also water vapor cooling chambers tweaking with a cooler. Share your ideas...

Thanks mate for sharing your ideas in detail!

Seriously high temps lol.
Also, did you get the 24gb ssd cache seperately? or is it there in every model?
I'm buying from the dostore tomorrow evening. :D

When you get your beast please let us know whether you got yours with mate/glossy screen and GT 750/755M GPU

dbehera28

The Torquey Guy

Thanks for your views.
I am sure, atleast on one occasion, after playing NFS Shift 2 unleashed for about an hour, the FPS suddenly dropped rapidly from 58-59FPS to 15FPS probably a result of throttling due to temperatures reaching/exceeding TjMAX. However, I have not had a similar situation after getting the Laptop Cooler.
I do think most of the coolers function by (1) blowing/sucking air below the laptop and (2) by creating a better ventilation area below the laptop.
It indeed should definitely help if you have moveable/adjustable fans.
I am using a laptop cooler for the first time. So its early days to gauge the long term effectiveness. As of now I run my laptop in a NonAC room along with the Cooler Master.
No problems so far. Lets see how it performs in long term....Touchwood.

BTW, did any body get the redemption vouchers yet??

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
^^ usually Cooler do not create vacuum under laptop inflow vents, its against the purpose of the cooler mate....they provide air flow upon the mesh above it, the air on spreading and expanding on the mesh surface undergoes a limited temp drop (not enough), i've been using Cooler Master Ergo Stand cooling pad for years..i did amazingly stupid looking but effective things with it to make my laptop cool down below 90, in Winter i did, in summer...it anyway beat 90+ (non-AC room). One word of advice, DO NOT hard OC the GPU right away, over-clocking a laptop GPU is almost same as deliberately welcoming a otherwise flying arrow in your a$$.

diya.r

Broken In
finally got the gift voucher and confirmation of the ADP warranty. Don't have to worry about that anymore. hey everybody who is into gaming here, you guys use just the mouse/keyboard or do you connect a gaming controller? and someone suggest a good cooling pad for this

Gtb93

In the zone
Hello once again. I've finally ordered my laptop(after 7 months :p).
I got it for 67k with redemption offer. No other goodies. Hoping to receive the shipment by sunday!
Will do an in-depth review, please let me know all the benchmarks, queries you guys require. Since I've been in the waiting list since 7 months, I know how eager , prospective buyers are! Hopefully, I will get one with matte finish, and no other issues. Fingers crossed.

Also, to the current owners of this laptop. Which cooling pad do you suggest? One that's effective according the vent placement, and isn't too costly.

@diya.r- I'm planning to get the Logitech G300 (1.4k).

Adi_1

Right off the assembly line
Hello once again. I've finally ordered my laptop(after 7 months :p).
I got it for 67k with redemption offer. No other goodies. Hoping to receive the shipment by sunday!
Will do an in-depth review, please let me know all the benchmarks, queries you guys require. Since I've been in the waiting list since 7 months, I know how eager , prospective buyers are! Hopefully, I will get one with matte finish, and no other issues. Fingers crossed.

Also, to the current owners of this laptop. Which cooling pad do you suggest? One that's effective according the vent placement, and isn't too costly.

@diya.r- I'm planning to get the Logitech G300 (1.4k).

Good deal you got there. From which seller did you buy your laptop?

Top Bottom