The Lenovo Ideapad Y510p Thread

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
I talked lenovo rep on this and he told me that sir the only thing you need to do is a gauge reset. And than your battery will last long since the backup time of my battery is just 2 hrs on normal usage and no gaming.

Hmmm... You can do it at your own risk... Better search for issues, if any, with the battery gauge reset tool first ... If none exist, you are good to go... :)

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Guys is notepal x3 good for our laptop? I think i should go for it..seen good reviews..

According to me, all laptop coolers have similar performances!!! Just don't expect miracles... :D 5-7 degrees of cooling at max... I get way better cooling by being in an AC room in summer or just cause the NE of our damn country gets extremely cold in winter!!! ;)

Maverick03

Broken In
Lol you are right... Well i just dont want to end up in a situation where i have spent my money and the product does nothing at all when it comes to serving the purpose..

udit247

Journeyman
Lol you are right... Well i just dont want to end up in a situation where i have spent my money and the product does nothing at all when it comes to serving the purpose..

Well it does serve its purpose if you use your laptop on soft surfaces like on bed as was mentioned earlier in these posts. You can go with Notepal L1 if you want VFM but AC room is the way to go in summers as was mentioned by PowerHoney since our country gets real hot in summers.:wink:

Has any one updated to Windows 8.1. Coz I am still holding back for a few more time before the update.

I am already on Windows 8.1 with latest drivers and didn't find any issues, in fact Windows 8.1 has many improvements over Windows 8

@ Diya.R
It doesn't affect the performance if you are using the latest Windows 8.1 certified drivers.

cyberzero

Right off the assembly line
Hi, Just got ordered the y510p this morning under the doorbuster deals through barnes and nobles(thanks to GhostRecon for notifying me about it). I'm so excited about, when this lappy gonna come in my hands?. Love to play all the latest games in 1080p...also happy to join the forum. :mrgreen:

dr.manoj

Broken In
I talked lenovo rep on this and he told me that sir the only thing you need to do is a gauge reset. And than your battery will last long since the backup time of my battery is just 2 hrs on normal usage and no gaming.

I too was told the same thing by the Lenovo Service Rep.. My battery was not charging fully and the gauge would go from ~18% to 6% in one shot..
Somebody, Udit I think, had put up a note regarding the problems with the Y500 and the gauge reset. I found plenty on the net about this problem for the y500 but nothing for the y510p.. All said and done I did not do the reset but just did a manual calibration instead.. That solved my problem..
Please post your experience with the gauge reset if you do go ahead with it...

$hadow

Geek in making
I too was told the same thing by the Lenovo Service Rep.. My battery was not charging fully and the gauge would go from ~18% to 6% in one shot..
Somebody, Udit I think, had put up a note regarding the problems with the Y500 and the gauge reset. I found plenty on the net about this problem for the y500 but nothing for the y510p.. All said and done I did not do the reset but just did a manual calibration instead.. That solved my problem..
Please post your experience with the gauge reset if you do go ahead with it...

Manual calliberation like what???

udit247

Journeyman
Manual calliberation like what???

To manually calibrate any Lithium Ion battery just fully charge it (100%) than fully discharge it (0-1%-Auto shutdown) than again fully charge it (100%) before use. Try to calibrate once a month or two to get most out of your battery.
I usually get 3.5+ hours of battery backup on Y510P on moderate use (No games, demanding task, movies) using Power Saver battery power plan and 65% brighness.

@Shadow

One off topic question for you...
I can see you are having iPad Mini and Nexus 7, so I would like to know which one is better because I am little confused between these two and do you think there are very less quality apps are available for Android tablets compared to iOS.

Last edited:

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
To manually calibrate any Lithium Ion battery just fully charge it (100%) than fully discharge it (0-1%-Auto shutdown) than again fully charge it (100%) before use. Try to calibrate once a month or two to get most out of your battery.
I usually get 3.5+ hours of battery backup on Y510P on moderate use (No games, demanding task, movies) using Power Saver battery power plan and 65% brighness.

@Shadow

I can see you are having iPad Mini and Nexus 7, so I would like to know which one is better because I am little confused between these two and do you think there are very less quality apps are available for Android tablets compared to iOS.

He he... That debate is going to go on forever... One piece of advice though... There's no jailbreak for ios 6.1.3 and above versions... So, you'll have trouble installing apps from unknown sources... I got lucky in the fact that my iPad Mini had ios 6.1.2... I think nowadays all iPads sold on FK have 6.1.3 or newer... :-D

dr.manoj

Broken In
Did everybody get all their do gear offer stuff? I got the last of my stuff some 3 weeks ago.. I had ordered the w770 headphones and instead got the w870 ones. Someone had earlier mentioned the same.. Wanted to know if it is the same way for everyone.. Just idle curiosity on my part

$hadow

Geek in making

@Shadow

Well initially I first bought I pad for myself but just after 3 months I just started disliking it. A very little customisations available for I OS. Then I used my friend Nexus 7 and man it was fab. I purchased it and now using it ever since. Gave the I pad to my sis on her birthday and she is happy. :-D :-D

udit247

Journeyman
He he... That debate is going to go on forever... One piece of advice though... There's no jailbreak for ios 6.1.3 and above versions... So, you'll have trouble installing apps from unknown sources... I got lucky in the fact that my iPad Mini had ios 6.1.2... I think nowadays all iPads sold on FK have 6.1.3 or newer... :-D

Oh that's a great info and you are lucky that you are on 6.1.2:wink:...thanks

Well initially I first bought I pad for myself but just after 3 months I just started disliking it. A very little customisations available for I OS. Then I used my friend Nexus 7 and man it was fab. I purchased it and now using it ever since. Gave the I pad to my sis on her birthday and she is happy. :-D :-D

Thanks, now I have made up my mind for Nexus 7 :wink:

Did everybody get all their do gear offer stuff? I got the last of my stuff some 3 weeks ago.. I had ordered the w770 headphones and instead got the w870 ones. Someone had earlier mentioned the same.. Wanted to know if it is the same way for everyone.. Just idle curiosity on my part

Yeah I got all the items and instead of W770 I also got W870 may be because it is out of stock for months.
But it is still very good offer for us:mrgreen:

avirok

Just 2 questions:

1> The lenovo gauge reset tool (which seems to have caused problems before)...can it be removed or do we need it for something else.
2> Does the laptop(Indian models) come with the 24GB SSD Cache already included? or is it extra? or only on on-Indian models?

$hadow

Geek in making
Oh that's a great info and you are lucky that you are on 6.1.2:wink:...thanks

Thanks, now I have made up my mind for Nexus 7 :wink:

Yeah I got all the items and instead of W770 I also got W870 may be because it is out of stock for months.
But it is still very good offer for us:mrgreen:

Better get 2013 edition.

Alright guys still no use does the full discharge to full charge thing and the laptop again got stuck on 99% for more than half an hour. So now what any suggestions??

udit247

Journeyman
Just 2 questions:

1> The lenovo gauge reset tool (which seems to have caused problems before)...can it be removed or do we need it for something else.
2> Does the laptop(Indian models) come with the 24GB SSD Cache already included? or is it extra? or only on on-Indian models?

1). Gauge reset tool is built in with Lenovo Energy Management software which has some other useful tools but if you don't want/use any of them you can remove it without any issues.

2). No Indian models doesn't come with this cache but if you want than you can import it from US.

Better get 2013 edition.

Alright guys still no use does the full discharge to full charge thing and the laptop again got stuck on 99% for more than half an hour. So now what any suggestions??

Thanks mate..sure I will get 2013 edition, earlier I was thinking of 2012 model but dropped the idea!

Well I don't understand why your battery is not showing 100%. Mine shows 100% when fully charged...have you used gauge reset tool before? or is there any driver issue you got during upgrading to Windows 8.1

$hadow

Geek in making
1). Gauge reset tool is built in with Lenovo Energy Management software which has some other useful tools but if you don't want/use any of them you can remove it without any issues.

2). No Indian models doesn't come with this cache but if you want than you can import it from US.

Thanks mate..sure I will get 2013 edition, earlier I was thinking of 2012 model but dropped the idea!

Well I don't understand why your battery is not showing 100%. Mine shows 100% when fully charged...have you used gauge reset tool before? or is there any driver issue you got during upgrading to Windows 8.1

I haven't yet updated to 8.1. And haven't yet even used gauge reset it is a known issue so why take chance. Contacted lenovo they said you should do gauge reset. Any idea what to do??

podanimesh

PLEASE "DO NOT" do battery reset unless you want to replace the motherboard. I did it last week and since then i feel like going back. I have got them to order a new motherboard and hopefully it solves the problem.

udit247

Journeyman
I haven't yet updated to 8.1. And haven't yet even used gauge reset it is a known issue so why take chance. Contacted lenovo they said you should do gauge reset. Any idea what to do??

Well I would suggest you to do 2-3 times full charge (100%) and full discharge (0%) cycles and check if the problem fixes. After all these steps if you are getting good backup than nothing is required to be done but if not than think of requesting a new battery under warranty. Also select Maximum Battery Life under Lenovo Energy Management.

Now 77k on the dostore :(

btw hi forum mates , i m from gujarat :)

Hi, Welcome to the digit forums.

Top Bottom