The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

So friends, any of you try to open our laptop for cleaning? How often should I clean considering I game for 3-4 hrs daily. ?

I'm not planning to open it till its covered in warranty

I think atleast once every 3-4 months should be good, considering I used to open my desktop once or twice a year

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
This is Weird. When trying to install 1080p skin, it didnt fit my screen so i thought it was a bug with skin. And the same happened with another 1080p skin also.
According to my PC Settings my resolution is 1920 x 1080. But I checked with WHAT IS MY SCREEN RESOLUTION and screenresolution.org/ they both indicate that my resolution is 1536 x 864. which explains why those skins didnt fit my screen. Now this is not a hardware issue. Because the I remember using the same 1080p Skin when i newly bought this Lenovo y500.

View attachment 14262

PS: the captured Screenshot is 1920 x 1080. Also when playing 1080p videos it perfectly fits my screen.

Anyone Faced this issue?

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Just zoom out in your browser.(Ctrl+Mouse wheel).
When I zoom out it shows my resolution is 5120 X 2880. If the site is to be believe then I have a fkin 5k screen.

Nope. Still the same. Actually the browser part is implied just to support my point. I get the problem in Rainmeter skins too.

Screenshot (37).jpg

Screenshot (36).jpg

<<BTW How to directly display the uploaded image in forum??>>

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
That's why I never updated to 8.1

- - - Updated - - -

Also try Firefox. Your screen looks like 1920x1080 imo.

It's 8.1 update 1. Also the Browser is not main issue. Rainmeter is the main problem

- - - Updated - - -

Also try Firefox.

Okay I dont currently have Firefox so I tested those websites with IE guess what, changing the Zoom Level changes the Resolution. WTF!!!

Your screen looks like 1920x1080 imo.

thats because the Screen Captured Image is also 1080p.

Like I said earlier, Rainmeter is the main problem for me. I want those 1080p Skins to fit properly.

Last edited:

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Okay after Hours of Google Search found that I am not alone with this weird problem. Some of the other 1080p Laptop owners also faced the same wrong res problem. Even they had the same 1536 x 864 res wrongly. And the Solution is very Simple.
View attachment 14270

I dont know how this option relates to my issue, but it is fixed now. 1080p wallpaper fits perfectly and so are 1080p wallpapers and Those websites too show 1080p res.

Solved it. BTW there is no such option in Windows 8

xzibit21

Broken In
Guys the always on yellow usb port does not work when the laptop is switched off. I guess this is not the way it's supposed to work. Also my keyboard is not mounted properly and once I begin gaming it fits the space properly otherwise it's loose and moves up and down.
I already got it replaced once in December and the engineer screwed up the locks of the laptop and now the back cover is loosely mounted too.
Please advise what to do now.

Harsh23

Broken In
Hey guys,I had my mobo replaced,and since then I have been having problems with my gpu and cpu temps,they rise and fall so much so fast.
The cpu temp is idol at 52-56 but spikes suddenly uto 64 in a sec or so.The gpu temp went upto 83 while playing MW3 and it falls so fast upto 70 just as i close the game.I also have random spikes in temps when i open something for eg the gpu temp goes from 47 to 54 when I open a video or something... What should I do .. ?? Does It need Repasting ?? I did specifically instruct the engineer to apply thermal paste correctly when the mobo changed.Should I report this is to the Service Center ..??

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Hey guys,I had my mobo replaced,and since then I have been having problems with my gpu and cpu temps,they rise and fall so much so fast.
The cpu temp is idol at 52-56 but spikes suddenly uto 64 in a sec or so.The gpu temp went upto 83 while playing MW3 and it falls so fast upto 70 just as i close the game.I also have random spikes in temps when i open something for eg the gpu temp goes from 47 to 54 when I open a video or something... What should I do .. ?? Does It need Repasting ?? I did specifically instruct the engineer to apply thermal paste correctly when the mobo changed.Should I report this is to the Service Center ..??

My SLI GPU goes upto 86 degrees. Mobo GPU stays at 80 during non-CPU intensive games. CPU intensive games like Crysis 3 make the CPU go upto 90-95 and the main GPU upto 90-93.
I have Arctic Silver V applied to all cores. Also, I am at +290 core and +100 memory OC.
Hope this gives you an approximation for your case.

Harsh23

Broken In
Where did you get an SLI.Before mobo replacement It did not go anywhere near 80 while playing mw3.While playing watch dogs at 720p for 15 min gpu went up to 87,.No OC.

Harsh23

Broken In
hmmm...Could be the summer ... Ok.. i guess i will just wait and see if the temps normalise after the summer ends...

H2O

Journeyman
Hello Guys!

Was wondering if any of you has tried the Lenovo One Key Recovery? If you have, would you recommend it over going to the service station and formatting the laptop completely? And, how long does it take for the One Key Recovery to get the laptop back to factory settings?

Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Guys!

Was wondering if any of you has tried the Lenovo One Key Recovery? If you have, would you recommend it over going to the service station and formatting the laptop completely? And, how long does it take for the One Key Recovery to get the laptop back to factory settings?

Cheers.

So? :|

Prashmith

Journeyman
hey i am planning to grab y500 from a friend for 30k
my current pc has 4gb ram,650ti boost,1.5tb hdd,intel pentium g640 2.80ghz

will it be worth it?????

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
hey i am planning to grab y500 from a friend for 30k
my current pc has 4gb ram,650ti boost,1.5tb hdd,intel pentium g640 2.80ghz

will it be worth it?????

The CPU of Lenovo Y500 is definitely more powerful(3-3.5x) than your desktop's.
However, GT 650Ti is 2x more powerful than GT 650M.
If you can arrange the SLI card to be imported to India somehow, you'll have a laptop more powerful than your desktop.

Also, SLI card code no. is GN36

Top Bottom