The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
The CPU of Lenovo Y500 is definitely more powerful(3-3.5x) than your desktop's.
However, GT 650Ti is 2x more powerful than GT 650M.
If you can arrange the SLI card to be imported to India somehow, you'll have a laptop more powerful than your desktop.

Also, SLI card code no. is GN36
Is the SLI still available in China?

Prashmith

Journeyman
The CPU of Lenovo Y500 is definitely more powerful(3-3.5x) than your desktop's.
However, GT 650Ti is 2x more powerful than GT 650M.
If you can arrange the SLI card to be imported to India somehow, you'll have a laptop more powerful than your desktop.

Also, SLI card code no. is GN36

for 30k rupees i can easily add a 650ti boost Sli And rival a gtx680 and a speedy processor+4gb ram and still have some cash in hand,do you think getting the laptop will face me on downside i can currently run most games on Ultra,crysis 3 -Ultra at 30-40fps

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
for 30k rupees i can easily add a 650ti boost Sli And rival a gtx680 and a speedy processor+4gb ram and still have some cash in hand,do you think getting the laptop will face me on downside i can currently run most games on Ultra,crysis 3 -Ultra at 30-40fps

Well, you can't compare a desktop with a laptop.
Desktop restricts you to one desk.
Downside as in?

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Hey Guys, My Laptop y500's headphones jack is not working properly. When ever i plug my headphones/headset only one side is playing, however if i adjust it, the other side is playing. Either way, only one side works at the same time. Also Mic doesn't seem to work. Im thinking to take it to service center to fix it. Will they change only the jack or entire motherboard ?? How long does it take ??

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Hey Guys, My Laptop y500's headphones jack is not working properly. When ever i plug my headphones/headset only one side is playing, however if i adjust it, the other side is playing. Either way, only one side works at the same time. Also Mic doesn't seem to work. Im thinking to take it to service center to fix it. Will they change only the jack or entire motherboard ?? How long does it take ??

Are you talkin about the earphones given away with cellphones, imo I don't think those work. Also, laptop mic not working?

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Are you talkin about the earphones given away with cellphones, imo I don't think those work. Also, laptop mic not working?
Previously it used to with with those mobile phones headset. Also I have tried over the ear headphones for pc with same result. The laptop's mic is working. The headphone's mic is not working.

@Nerevarine
Amazon.in: Buy Corsair 8GB DDR3L Low Voltage 1.35V 1600Mhz Laptop Memory SODIMM (CMSO8GX3M1C1600C11) Online at Low Prices in India | Corsair Reviews & Ratings

These are low voltage (1.35v) DDR3-L modules, the details on amazon says that they support 1.5v too. DDR3L is supposed to be backward compatible. So will these work?

I dont want to cross 4.5k*2 for the 2*8GB modules, so Vengeance series is out of question.

UPDATE-----
DDR3L Primer

This also states that:

"Systems that support conventional 1.5V DDR3 should have no trouble running DDR3L, but this compatibility doesn’t go the opposite direction; systems built around DDR3L are typically going to require DDR3L."

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Then a 1.35v DDR3 RAM should run fine according to Corsair official link no ?.. Im not certain as I have never tried this myself, it might be a good idea to wait for more replies.
In the meantime, Kingston 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Laptop Memory RAM 8 GB | eBay.. here is a 1.5 v RAM you might be interested in..
Normally id ask that you avoid ebay and kingston because of risk of fakes but i have bought from that seller and i can say he's genuine
Still, the corsair ram should still be your first priority, should DDR3-L RAM work in your rig

A friend will buy DDR3L for his Y50, will try that first in my Y500. If it works I will pull the trigger on DDR3L itself. Need at least 3hrs of mem testing first.

H2O

Journeyman
Absolutely ****ed up ****.

My battery back-up had been showing 1 hr 45 mins as back-up for some months now. My warranty was going to expire in few days. So, I thought lets sort that issue and few others out. So, I called the customer care to register a complain this Satuday. The lady who attended my call told me, to use energy management and start battery gauge and accordingly she will tell me what to do next. She told me it will take four to five hours. I told her I would do that before I go to sleep since I had some work to do. She told me to do it and report the result on Monday, since Sunday was a holiday.

So, I did the battery gauge. Now the frustrating **** starts. After I did, I found out that my batter capacity was stuck at 52%. I was wondering why its not charging even though when I hovered the mouse over the battery button, it showed (plugged in, charging). So, I re-started the laptop and it was the same. Then, I just switched off the power button and my laptop shut down automatically. It was as if there was no battery and the electricity was directly running the laptop. I called the customer care again on Monday. That is when they reported me that the battery warranty is 1 year and not 2 years and told me to go to the service center and find out about the problem in details. So, I take it to the service center on Monday and gave them to sort it out. They told me to come after a day. I went there. They still hadn't sorted it out. Asked for one more day. So, today I go to the service center and told me there is issue with the battery and I have to replace it.

This really pissed me off big time because my laptop was running fine on battery before I had done the battery gauge. At least it was showing a back up of 1 hours 45 mins. So, I call the customer care again to inform them about their carelessness regarding this. I talk with one of their representatives and tell him the entire story. But, he says there are no complains registered on Saturday or Monday. Now, I totally lost it. I told him how the **** there are no bookings/complains/calls registered when I had called him three times? He asked me if I remember the name of the representative who picked up the call on Saturday or Monday. I didn't remember. So, I told him that. He said "Sorry. But, I can't do anything. Battery warranty is only for one year!". I told him again my laptop was running fine on battery before the whole battery gauge but he kept on repeating the same thing that "Sorry. But, I can't do anything. Battery warranty is only for one year!".

Absolutely pissed now. Next time I call, I will ask their names and full details. Can't ****ing trust them anymore really. Any idea what should I do?

Battery gauge reset/calibration in Lenovo y500 ****s with the laptop pretty hard.
Lenovo y500 Energy Management may destroy your motherboard

The battery reset didn't do anything to the battery, it just ruined the mobo.
So, go ahead blast at lenovo India via email. And write that THEY asked you to run the reset function. Ask for a motherboard replacement giving links to many forum threads on the internet showing the same issue. File the compliant and get a case ID before the warranty expires. The case can go on even after the warranty expires, but it needs to be lodged before the expiry.

Be confident and and say that your battery works fine in a friend's laptop and his doesn't charge in your's concluding that the laptop's battery management system fukced up. So the mobo needs replacement.

----
Reddit case

Last edited:

$hadow

Geek in making
This topic was covered in depth when this thread was around 100 odd pages and it was clearly decided and suggested not to use battery gauge settings.

H2O

Journeyman
Meh. No use. I have to buy a new battery. F*ck Lenovo Customer Care.

Anyway, I need a suggestion, guys. The service center guys are saying that the original battery would cost around 5k and has a 1 year warranty. I am not sure if I could trust them regards to the authenticity of the battery because a week ago one of their engineers told me they don't have any original battery and the compatible one would cost around 5k. I asked if they could order it for me. He said, its not there with the distributors as well. Today, when I went there again and asked, they said, they have the original one and it would cost around 5k. Not sure if I could trust them!

I searched online and found that a compatible one would cost 1.7k and gives a 1 year warranty as well.

What do you all think I should do? Thanks!

PrasOnWeb

Broken In
Meh. No use. I have to buy a new battery. F*ck Lenovo Customer Care.

Anyway, I need a suggestion, guys. The service center guys are saying that the original battery would cost around 5k and has a 1 year warranty. I am not sure if I could trust them regards to the authenticity of the battery because a week ago one of their engineers told me they don't have any original battery and the compatible one would cost around 5k. I asked if they could order it for me. He said, its not there with the distributors as well. Today, when I went there again and asked, they said, they have the original one and it would cost around 5k. Not sure if I could trust them!

I searched online and found that a compatible one would cost 1.7k and gives a 1 year warranty as well.

What do you all think I should do? Thanks!

I would recommend that you buy the compatible one at 1.7K. You have already faced lenovo customer services. So, don't trust them again. Also, your initial 1 year warranty is over. In 5k, you can buy 3 compatible batteries i.e. 3 times. Seems like a safe bet.

If you are buying the replacement battery from ebay, please check seller credentials before placing an order. Even if costs 200-300 ruppes extra, I would recommend to buy only from reputed sellers. You don't want any hassles. do you?

Top Bottom