The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Use this link for the 750m adapter, you will need to create account(takes less than a minute)
*shop.lenovo.com/barnesnoblegold/us/en/itemdetails/0C65964/460/3E71FB3EB22D4A308B517832F7D2264A

And this for 170watt adapter
*shop.lenovo.com/barnesnoblegold/us...521C6C40849BAAC04A83E51C64&hide_menu_area=yes

These links are for Lenovo B&N Discount, you will get $46.50 (~3k inr) off immediately, so make sure you create a B&N account using the create account link on the page, then login and order.

I ordered my Y500-FHD,1x750m with bag+mouse+extended warranty using this deal+haggled over phone and got a massive discount compared to india(~25k)

+1 to this!!! :-D
Another website for importing is: Borderlinx: international package forwarding & shipping, rates calcula…

Personally, I used ishop and had a pleasant experience with them but others weren't as lucky if reviews floating around the web are to be believed...
Btw, @Utkarsh2008
Could you provide a complete breakdown of what it cost you, item wise along with shipping and duties just for reference??? :)

darthV

Right off the assembly line
Well,I am ready to order the stuff.
Read some reviews on the internet,and ppobox seems to be the best service.

Just one last question - How does payment work?
I mean,the credit/debit card that I will be using is linked to a account that has indian rupees.Obviously,I cannot buy stuff from usa with that.Will I have to get some money converted into usd or will ppobox take care of all that conversion stuff?

Well,I am ready to order the stuff.
Read some reviews on the internet,and ppobox seems to be the best service.

Just one last question - How does payment work?
I mean,the credit/debit card that I will be using is linked to a account that has indian rupees.Obviously,I cannot buy stuff from usa with that.Will I have to get some money converted into usd or will ppobox take care of all that conversion stuff?

You will have to make the payment on Lenovo's webstore all by yourself (try credit/debit cards you have like normal online transactions); ppobox will charge for delivery and all later on & you will be informed of the payment method.
Make sure you use the links I gave to get the discount.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Read this

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/internet-...information-regarding-indian-debit-cards.html

I am ordering next week.

23nigam

Right off the assembly line
Its been a year and i have been loving my lenovo y500.

Now i have to install ubuntu on it but when i searched the interent with "installing ubuntu in lenovo y500",i saw a lot of users complaining and the installation methods were also quite complex.

Its necessary for me to use linux so i need your help in installing it.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Its been a year and i have been loving my lenovo y500.

Now i have to install ubuntu on it but when i searched the interent with "installing ubuntu in lenovo y500",i saw a lot of users complaining and the installation methods were also quite complex.

Its necessary for me to use linux so i need your help in installing it.

Yeah me to planning to do, but scared I might end up screwing OKR/recovery.

If you find a way, PM me

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Finally I was able to place my order.
Just wanted to know- is invoice order no same as transaction id of PayPal??
HDFC chip credit card works like a charm in international transactions.
Also, happy New year everyone.

SunE

Professional Newbie
Installing Linux on these laptops is not that difficult. Do these steps:

1. Shrink your primary partition(C:>) drive by 15-20 GB or whatever space you want for your linux install from the disk management tool. Leave this space as unallocated. Do NOT format it.

2. Pop in your Linux install media(DVD or USB). In that select the unallocated space from step 1 and format it with the ext4 file partition.

3. Install linux into this space.

Now when you turn your laptop on it'll boot straight into Windows 8.
To boot into linux, just press the little One Key Recovery button on your laptop and select your Internal HDD as the boot device. Now you'll see the GRUB bootloader for linux. Boot into it and enjoy! :)

Happy New Year!

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Now when you turn your laptop on it'll boot straight into Windows 8.
To boot into linux, just press the little One Key Recovery button on your laptop and select your Internal HDD as the boot device. Now you'll see the GRUB bootloader for linux. Boot into it and enjoy! :)

Happy New Year!

Everytime I need to press okr key to boot into Linux?

xzibit21

Broken In
The keyboard of my 2 months old y500 is not mounted properly.
Contacted customer support and they replaced the keyboard but the issue still persists.
The top right corner of the keyboard moves up and down and does not lock down properly.
What may be the problem here? Svc guys are totally clueless and the engineer who visited me was a total idiot. He didn't know how to even open the laptop, messed up one of the locking mechanism and has put scratches on it.
Have sent a couple of mails to Lenovo and still no solution.
Please advise on what to do now?

OP
n3rd

n3rd

In the zone
Hey guys, long time no see, right? :D
An update: A couple of keys off my keyboard came off, and other keys partly stopped functioning (and the letters faded off).
I filed a complaint, and within three days they replaced my keyboard afresh :) And I live in a remote area, not in city. So I guess I ought to give credit where it's due.

And still running like a champ, no issues at all! After that initial touchpad headache (which has been solved for good, thank goodness), all's been going smooooth :)

The keyboard of my 2 months old y500 is not mounted properly.
Contacted customer support and they replaced the keyboard but the issue still persists.
The top right corner of the keyboard moves up and down and does not lock down properly.
What may be the problem here? Svc guys are totally clueless and the engineer who visited me was a total idiot. He didn't know how to even open the laptop, messed up one of the locking mechanism and has put scratches on it.
Have sent a couple of mails to Lenovo and still no solution.
Please advise on what to do now?

Call their toll free number and book a complaint again? Don't mail, that does jack all. Call them.
It's definitely the idiot being incompetent.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
The first upgrade to my y500 has arrived. It's a plextor m5m 128 gb msata ssd. Windows rating jumped from 5.9 to 7.0. Now lowest is GPU. Disk drive is 8.1(highest). There is some controversy in other forums that whether y500's msata slot is sata 3 or sata 2. I can confirm that Indian models have sata 3.

The first upgrade to my y500 has arrived. It's a plextor m5m 128 gb msata ssd. Windows rating jumped from 5.9 to 7.0. Now lowest is GPU. Disk drive is 8.1(highest). There is some controversy in other forums that whether y500's msata slot is sata 3 or sata 2. I can confirm that Indian models have sata 3.

How muvh did it cost ? From where ?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Onlyssd.com
It cost me 8k.
It's actually cheaper to buy it from them than to get it imported.
The experience of a y500 running Windows in a SSD is simply amazing.

Edit:- I called them up today and they said that it comes with 3 years warranty.
I asked for conditions and they said that they'll replace non-damaged and non-working products.
They said that if the drive is not working and not physically damaged they'll replace it, now if the SSD fails after say 2 years(SSD fails are quite common due to abuse), they'll replace as long as the hardware is intact. This is pretty good news. :D

Last edited:
Onlyssd.com
It cost me 8k.
It's actually cheaper to buy it from them than to get it imported.
The experience of a y500 running Windows in a SSD is simply amazing.

Edit:- I called them up today and they said that it comes with 3 years warranty.
I asked for conditions and they said that they'll replace non-damaged and non-working products.
They said that if the drive is not working and not physically damaged they'll replace it, now if the SSD fails after say 2 years(SSD fails are quite common due to abuse), they'll replace as long as the hardware is intact. This is pretty good news. :D

That's a great site....... Prices are much lower than eBay...
Planning to get one during/after this summer.

Everyone, I installed Ubuntu 13.10 ....... To boot into it, I've to use one key recovery, then select Ubuntu from boot option

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Just on a side note, Migrating OS to a SSD in a dual boot system is pretty difficult.

Edit:- can't we just press F12 and boot from Ubuntu when using Linux?

Top Bottom