The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
The question is, is the 170W adapeter even required? Is not the laptop designed to run is SLI mode with the standard adapter you get in India? Besides when you buy the adapter from the US website, you only get one half of the adapter, the other half,i.e, the wire that connects the big burly thingy(adapter) to the plug is not in the same package. You can detach your current wire(plug one) to fit into that adapter but I don't think that will work in which case you also need to import that wire (idk from where). After that you need to buy the things mentioned in powerhoney's post.
TL;DR: I suggest you first import the card and then try to run it, first in battery mode and then slowly go ahead and try to plug in using your default adapter.
I also calculated that the adapter I got with my y500 is only 1200W. T_T
There may also be a possibility that the adapter with more wattage only charges the batter faster.

1200 Watts??? :shock::shock:

As for the adapter issue, the 120 W adapter will work too but you may face some problems when the machine is under heavy load!!!

The question is, is the 170W adapeter even required? Is not the laptop designed to run is SLI mode with the standard adapter you get in India? Besides when you buy the adapter from the US website, you only get one half of the adapter, the other half,i.e, the wire that connects the big burly thingy(adapter) to the plug is not in the same package. You can detach your current wire(plug one) to fit into that adapter but I don't think that will work in which case you also need to import that wire (idk from where). After that you need to buy the things mentioned in powerhoney's post.
TL;DR: I suggest you first import the card and then try to run it, first in battery mode and then slowly go ahead and try to plug in using your default adapter.
I also calculated that the adapter I got with my y500 is only 1200W. T_T
There may also be a possibility that the adapter with more wattage only charges the batter faster.

It will work regardless of 120 W or 170 W adapter... :-D

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
damn you powerhoney damn you!!
The power input of the 170W imported adapter may be different from the one in India.

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
1200 Watts??? :shock::shock:

As for the adapter issue, the 120 W adapter will work too but you may face some problems when the machine is under heavy load!!!

It will work regardless of 120 W or 170 W adapter... :-D

It won't. It will damage the mobo/card/components in the long run....
dunno how... but read it somewhere.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
It won't. It will damage the mobo/card/components in the long run....
dunno how... but read it somewhere.

I don't think it will be able to damage the laptop but it will be unable to supply the power required to drive the machine under heavy load...
Anyway, for op to be on the safe side, it's always recommended to use the 170 W adapter for SLI... Lenovo recommends it too as stated by themselves!!! :-D

Harsh23

Broken In
I need to know if i can get a win 8.1 genuine iso which would work with the key in our bios...
Please don't tell me to update manually as i also wanted to increase the partition when i install win8.1

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
I don't think it will be able to damage the laptop but it will be unable to supply the power required to drive the machine under heavy load...
Anyway, for op to be on the safe side, it's always recommended to use the 170 W adapter for SLI... Lenovo recommends it too as stated by themselves!!! :-D

what i read is that... in the absence of sufficient power... the gpu starts to artifact.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
To hell with Azom, I am importing a gn 36 gt 650m from usa.
Is ishopinternational.com relaible?
I also found that the sli config works with 120w adapter
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lenovo GT 650M 0C22235 Removable Graphics GN36 for Y500

I also found something very interesting...
NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M SLI - NotebookCheck.net Tech

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
To hell with Azom, I am importing a gn 36 gt 650m from usa.
Is ishopinternational.com relaible?
I also found that the sli config works with 120w adapter
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lenovo GT 650M 0C22235 Removable Graphics GN36 for Y500

I also found something very interesting...
NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M SLI - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Yup, ishopinternational.com is reliable... Amgonna quote a previous reply of mine in this thread about how I imported my laptop from the US:
First of all, I registered and requested a quote from ishopinternational.com for the lappy...
They replied within 48 hours, I think, with their estimate of the product price, shipping and customs duties... It was somewhat like this:-
Around 58k for the lappy, 4.5k for shipping and 10.5k for customs... They also provide a link for you to complete the order... Once, that's done, the waiting game begins... My payment was flagged and it took a couple of days for ebs to unflag the payment, then around 3 days for it to reach their NY office, two days for it to reach the Mumbai office and clear customs and then 4 days for it to reach Guwahati... I had to pick it up from the Regional Office of Blue Dart about 5km from my house as Blue Dart don't service my pincode...:)

So, all in all, I had a pretty satisfactory experience with ishop!!! :-D:-D

Btw, the GT 755m SLI will be a beast...

Also, do take note that you'll have to properly setup games for SLI for optimum performance without bugs like micro-stuttering, etc...
Most games are optimized for SLI but some stupid EA Crap like NFS-Rivals took me two days just to get the correct settings for SLI using Nvidia Inspector!!! :-x

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I think I'll use ppobox, ishop seems like a hit or miss service according to internet reviews. Gimme a crash course in configuring sli please.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
I think I'll use ppobox, ishop seems like a hit or miss service according to internet reviews. Gimme a crash course in configuring sli please.

I'll just give you an example of what worked for me for NFS rivals after two days of trial and error:
These are the settings I've found work very well with Need for Speed: Rivals to properly enable SLI and fix some really annoying lag issues I ran into. Naturally, this doesn't cure the 30 FPS issue that is hard-coded into the game. This also does not cure the 5760x1080 FOV issue. Hopefully a patch will be forthcoming for that.

Settings are directly ripped from the BF4 configuration. Utilize nVidia Inspector to modify the profiles (click on the wrench icon in Inspector, find Need for Speed: Rivals on the list, modify the following settings):

Setting ID / Setting Value

Compatibility Section
SLI compatibility bits (DX1x) / 0x080116F5

Antialiasing Section
Antialiasing - Behavior Flags / 0x00000005
NVIDIA Predefined FXAA Usage / Disallowed

SLI Section
NVIDIA predefined number of GPUs to use on SLI rendering mode on DirectX 10 / SLI_PREDEFINED_GPU_COUNT_DX10_FOUR
NVIDIA predefined SLI mode on DirectX 10 / SLI_PREDEFINED_MODE_DX10_FORCE_AFR

All other settings should remain on DEFAULT (will appear in grey).

Also, I'm running the 331.82 GeForce drivers and nVidia Inspector 1.9.7.2

If anyone finds better settings, share them!! These fixed a bunch of various issues I was having, specifically the inability to have the game run in SLI at all (would only enable one GPU) and an overall performance issue. Felt like the game was running in slow motion (not relating to FPS, but just seemed laggy all around).

Enjoy!

Most games except for some stupid EA crap are optimized for SLI out of the box... I use Nvidia Geforce Experience app to get the optimal settings and then tweak as required either in-game or using Nvidia inspector...

Anyway, what's it gonna cost you in total to import it??? :)

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I'll just give you an example of what worked for me for NFS rivals after two days of trial and error:

Most games except for some stupid EA crap are optimized for SLI out of the box... I use Nvidia Geforce Experience app to get the optimal settings and then tweak as required either in-game or using Nvidia inspector...

Anyway, what's it gonna cost you in total to import it??? :)

I haven't asked for a quote yet but I am estimating around 18k, I am importing a 170w adapter also.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I am buying it next month due to some complicated (I understand but too complicated to summarize here) credit/debit card trash issue.
Hope the other guy buys his 750m sli till then and tell us about his experience.
I have a house in Guwahati too, maybe someday we can compare our Y500's >.>

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
I am buying it next month due to some complicated (I understand but too complicated to summarize here) credit/debit card trash issue.
Hope the other guy buys his 750m sli till then and tell us about his experience.
I have a house in Guwahati too, maybe someday we can compare our Y500's >.>

He he!!! :-D:mrgreen:

You from Assam, btw???:-?

xzibit21

Broken In
The keyboard of my y500 is a little loose on the top right side corner. It moves up and down on using the number keys . How to fix it ? Is there and latch mechanism holding the keyboard in its place which has been broken . Its just 2 months old and barely used. Will it be better to take it to the svc.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
He he!!! :-D:mrgreen:

You from Assam, btw???:-?
Hoi.
I got my dad the Dell Inspiron 15R with core i7u+ Radeon 8850, though not as powerful as my soon to be sli y500 but I think it will have sufficient power for entry level autocad, Skype and games like spider solitaire.
xD

darthV

Right off the assembly line
Okay,so they FINALLY replaced the mobo in my laptop today.
I will run some "heavy" games for a few days to check whether everything's alright or not.

If it works without a hitch,I will order the adapter and the 750m.
Can anyone recommend a good website for importing stuff from USA?

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
I will run some "heavy" games for a few days to check whether everything's alright or not.

Now Shop from USA to India Online - ishopinternational

Shop and Ship :: Home

Shop Online & Ship Internationally | Exclusively for PayPal Customers | HopShopGo

Use this link for the 750m adapter, you will need to create account(takes less than a minute)
*shop.lenovo.com/barnesnoblegold/us/en/itemdetails/0C65964/460/3E71FB3EB22D4A308B517832F7D2264A

And this for 170watt adapter
*shop.lenovo.com/barnesnoblegold/us...521C6C40849BAAC04A83E51C64&hide_menu_area=yes

These links are for Lenovo B&N Discount, you will get $46.50 (~3k inr) off immediately, so make sure you create a B&N account using the create account link on the page, then login and order.

I ordered my Y500-FHD,1x750m with bag+mouse+extended warranty using this deal+haggled over phone and got a massive discount compared to india(~25k)+my relatives brought it over here so no duties

@darthV
The wifi card(2230) is so crap, get this too 7260ac.
Mod the bios to OC (upto you) and remove whitelist.
Most package fwd companies are in CA or in Oregon(tax-free) and this provantage is in OH, so you wont even have to pay tax.

PS: 170watt power adapter works fine in India many of my friends have used it and had no probs with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom