The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

anikesh102

Broken In
Currently having a problem with my Y500. The past few days, there are green distorted lines (screen flickering as well) all over the screen. After adjusting the screen to a certain angle it seems fine, otherwise the issue persists. Do you think the display is damaged or would it be the case of a small loose connection ?
I am facing same issue from past 2 months. Not sure what is the exact issue.
I am seeing Red distorted lines, Maybe its a display issue or Screen replacement is needed.

jamiejako

Broken In
Hi guys,
I want to update the RAM of my Y500 to 16gb. It currently has a Samsung 8gb 2rx8 pc3-12800s-11-11-f3 in one slot and the other is empty. I can't find this exact model anywhere. Is it ok to use a DDR3L model RAM? Has anyone here upgraded? Any recommendations?
This is the one I found :

Corsair 8GB DDR3L Low Voltage 1.35V 1600Mhz Laptop Memory SODIMM (CMSO8GX3M1C1600C11) *www.amazon.in/dp/B00EHJ5U0K/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_EmAqwbWZCD1C0

Will it be compatible?

I would say stick to 1.5V ones

This one maybe:
*www.flipkart.com/transcend-jetram-ddr3-8-gb-laptop-dram-jm1600ksh-8g/p/itmdfzhzpkamgyjz?pid=RAMDFZHXDGVCUQNW&al=pwu7NmBtA0vH%2Bxy%2FyN%2F%2FocldugMWZuE7%2BW7da8XnwKTvRAnapMeqtdLr0k6EUxn3IPCIMuhmBC8%3D&ref=L%3A4270915805275442217&srno=b_6

jamiejako

Broken In
I would say stick to 1.5V ones

This one maybe:
*www.flipkart.com/transcend-jetram-ddr3-8-gb-laptop-dram-jm1600ksh-8g/p/itmdfzhzpkamgyjz?pid=RAMDFZHXDGVCUQNW&al=pwu7NmBtA0vH%2Bxy%2FyN%2F%2FocldugMWZuE7%2BW7da8XnwKTvRAnapMeqtdLr0k6EUxn3IPCIMuhmBC8%3D&ref=L%3A4270915805275442217&srno=b_6

Thanks for the reply. It seems the Corsair supports 1.5V too.

I see in your signature that you've added a 120gb ssd. Which model is it? I'm planning on buying a 250gb Crucial msata. Did you face any problems in installing and configuring it?

Thanks for the reply. It seems the Corsair supports 1.5V too.

I see in your signature that you've added a 120gb ssd. Which model is it? I'm planning on buying a 250gb Crucial msata. Did you face any problems in installing and configuring it?

I have Crucial M500
Installation was easy

As far as configuring goes, cloning my C drive took a lot of time & was a bit complicated (No problem if you opt for clean Windows installation)

At price are you getting 250GB mSATA ?

jamiejako

Broken In
I have Crucial M500
Installation was easy

As far as configuring goes, cloning my C drive took a lot of time & was a bit complicated (No problem if you opt for clean Windows installation)

At price are you getting 250GB mSATA ?
At 9k, here's the amazon link :

Crucial MX200 250GB mSATA SSD *www.amazon.in/dp/B00RQA6LFA/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_M9WqwbJG4MF7C

At 9k, here's the amazon link :

Crucial MX200 250GB mSATA SSD *www.amazon.in/dp/B00RQA6LFA/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_M9WqwbJG4MF7C

If you are open to importing, check this
Amazon.com: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB mSATA 2-Inch SSD (MZ-M5E250BW): Computers & Accessories

If you don't know, Samsung has the best SSDs

To all the Y500 users, post all the problems that your laptop has (or had a while back but it has been repaired now) ?

Problems my laptop has:
- LAN port not working
- 3.5mm jack gives problems (works sometimes, otherwise doesn't)
- Recently my laptop stopped charging (not the problem of charger or battery, checked those with another Y500)

I've made up my mind to never buy a Lenovo laptop again & advise others the same

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
To all the Y500 users, post all the problems that your laptop has (or had a while back but it has been repaired now) ?

Problems my laptop has:
- LAN port not working
- Recently my laptop stopped charging (not the problem of charger or battery, checked those with another Y500)

I've made up my mind to never buy a Lenovo laptop again & advise others the same
My Y500 display started flickering after one year of purchase... Then one fine day, out of the blue, the display just sent dead with a little smoke coming out of the display hinges... I disassembled it and found that the hinges had a design issue such that the display cable was always getting worn down due to friction whenever I opened or closed my laptop... After that, I started connecting my laptop to an external display and after a couple of months, the power button went kaput...

Needed to switch on the laptop with the one key recovery... Also, once when I replaced the thermal paste, I noticed that the thermal paste that they provided was not evenly distributed... Very poor manufacturer!!! :-@

Don't think I am an isolated case but no Lenovo product for me from now on...

I pity the guy on this forum who blindly promote Lenovo Y50-70 without any first hand knowledge...

TL, DR: Lenovo Y500 sux, got an Asus laptop instead!!! :p:p:p

ariftwister

Truth Seeker

Problems my laptop has:
- LAN port not working

- 3.5mm jack started misbehaving sometimes, then it stopped working completely. (Though its now fixed through warranty)
- (Sometimes) USB 3.0 ports stops working, although this issue can only be reproduced if i connect my WD External Drive. Not sure which is the faulty one here.
- (Sometimes) GPU starts throttling when playing heavy games in Optimized Battery Health Mode, will work fine after i switch to Maximum Battery Life mode.

AshurainX

The Rad
I need to clean install the OS on a new hdd and for that I need to download the media creation tool from the microsoft website. The problem is that, I know my laptop had windows 8 single language but i'm not sure if its the "single language with bing" version or the one without bing. Also I need to know what the laptop's default language was....english uk or us :(

Greatly appreciate any help you guys can give me cos mine's a limited data connection and I don't want to download all the versions :(

ps: bought the laptop from flipkart

Guys, my Y500's screen has a bluish hue now. Any ideas on solving it?

Did some tinkering in NVIDIA control panel, but still it isn't as good as it should be

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Anyone Tried win 10 upgrade on our laptops?? Did anyone face issues with drivers etc ??

- - - Updated - - -

Guys, my Y500's screen has a bluish hue now. Any ideas on solving it?

Did some tinkering in NVIDIA control panel, but still it isn't as good as it should be

Again... RIP to that Guy.. IYKWIM

Anyone Tried win 10 upgrade on our laptops?? Did anyone face issues with drivers etc ??

- - - Updated - - -

Again... RIP to that Guy.. IYKWIM

Win 10 works fine in Y500 & the screen's blueness was almost gone with a lot of colour tinkering in nvidia control panel. If he decides to format the OS, he will be shocked to see a bluish screen :p

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Win 10 works fine in Y500 & the screen's blueness was almost gone with a lot of colour tinkering in nvidia control panel. If he decides to format the OS, he will be shocked to see a bluish screen :p

Do you have any pictures of the blueish tint ? Also do you recommend Dirty install or clean install ?

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
No more... If you want to see how it would have looked, just increase the blues from nvidia control panel

I'll recommend clean install
But then I'll lose Lenovo Softwares such as One key recovery and power management right? At least that's what happened when I clean installed to 8.1

Sent from my C5502 using Tapatalk

But then I'll lose Lenovo Softwares such as One key recovery and power management right? At least that's what happened when I clean installed to 8.1

Sent from my C5502 using Tapatalk

I had those in D drive. I just backed up Dolby.... After Win10 upgrade, power management & dolby worked fine... I messed up onekey recovery while migrating OS to SSD, so I don't know if it will work in Win10

Mine still runs like a champ, it is my primary machine which serves me from entertainment to development.

Running a 250gB 840evo MSATA for OS.
Intel 7260ac WiFi card.
1x750m
750 days of warranty left. (Had 5yr)

Some pointers:
The display flicker is due to the LCD cable, it may also render the camera useless over time.

Go for Samsung SSDs, I have seen Kingston one's fail in other laptops.

I never had any sort of blueish tint ever, running Win10 Pro and Ubuntu 16.04.

Nvidia drivers work just fine.

Battery gives about 2-3 hrs of internet+ development usage(node+angular/Android)

Dolby digital plus requires you to download the drivers from y700 drivers page, it works flawlessly.

Only gripe, it isn't hackintosh-able.
Would have worked with xcode like a boss.

*Touchwood*

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Hello Guys!! Finally I am in a unique situation which I can post here to ask for help.

I have a few years old Lenovo Ideapad Y500 and unsurprisingly, its HDD is dying, so I am in need of another HDD. Here comes the bonus : My brother promised to buy me a SSD if i could complete a project for him. So I guess I'll have a SSD in few months as well.

Now this laptop has ULTRABAY feature meaning you can remove the DVD drive n replace it with HDD caddy for additional storage. As I hardly use the DVD drive, I am gonna put it to good use!!

So these are my options:

1. Buy New HDD and replace it the dying one, then later replace it with SSD (terrible choice, waste of at least 1 HDD)
  2. Buy new HDD and replace it the dying one, then buy mSATA SSD and add it to mSATA slot (not bad but waste of money in mSATA SSD)
  3. Buy new HDD with HDD caddy, switch the dying one to caddy and place the new HDD in primary slot. What to do with SSD?

What to do??

Bonus Questions
Is buying mSATA SSD future proof??
Apart from HDD dying, what are the things that may break down in old Laptops??

Top Bottom