The Government gives Flipkart and Amazon the finger

mobo

Broken In
Amazon and Walmart threatened by India ecommerce rules - CNN

We heard about it in December, but looks like the trigger has been pulled. I can not find a single listing on Amazon by Cloudtail or Appario.

The new rules mean:

• The 'E-tailers' can't sell their own brands(goodbye AmazonBasics)
  • They can't be exclusive sellers of any brand(like OnePlus on Amazon)
  • Sellers are not allowed to procure more than 25% of the stock they sell from the wholesale arm of the 'e-tailers'

Now will we bash the government? Or is this a great move to protect our neighbourhood shopkeepers?

Lets hear the arguments about monopoly and free-market economies.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only country in the world where left(congress & others) & right(bjp) both agree on one thing: "faaren companies are big bad wolves who will make us Gulaams again aka east india company style"

billubakra

Conversation Architect
The only country in the world where left(congress & others) & right(bjp) both agree on one thing: "faaren companies are big bad wolves who will make us Gulaams again aka east india company style"

And yet they suck their murgaas.
The impact has started, Amazon's super value day sale, the monthly sale is nowhere to be found, I had to buy tons of stuff. Chutiya sarkaar.
I am sure after the elections the rules will be "eased" they have done this just to get votes of the people connected to the Brick and mortar industry.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So this is the reason perhaps why the listing of something from Amazon which I wanted to buy suddenly disappeared from CloudTail and instead I had to buy it from some "Sigma Online". It was selling until yesterday!
I also couldn't find the product for around Rs 3k and instead had to buy for Rs 3.5k today.

The product for reference: *www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0119ROQXY/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Wished the service quality of third party sellers didn't suck so much. From what I have seen third party sellers only sell on Amazon to get rid of their very old stock. They don't sell to sell.

quicky008

Technomancer
this is extremely annoying-all listings for cloudtail and appario retail seem to have disappeared from amazon,and so have all amazonbasics items,i couldn't find them either....Amazon and FK were doing a great job in India and were offering quality goods at affordable prices-for instance i bought an external 2tb hdd from amazon last month for only 5.2k( from cloudtail)-had i bought it from some retail outlet in my area,it would have costed me 6k or more!

The reason i preferred buying online was that for the most part,the customer service offered by these companies was far superior as compared to that of any brick and mortar store,most of whom happen to be deceitful by nature and refuse to extend any courtesy or offer any service to the customer once they have sold off a product-should any problems arise,they either try to brush it aside completely or ask the concerned person to take up the issue with the company's service center.The 10-30 day return window offered by these online retailers for most purchases was something these physical stores could never keep up with,and thus their businesses seemed to have been hit really hard-and i,for one was really glad to see these vile shopkeepers suffer!

I was thinking of buying a new smartphone and a cheap hdtv later this year-but with the advent of these new draconian laws,my plans have been completely derailed.

If this trend keeps up,it wont be surprising if amazon and fk are forced to shut shop in the not too distant future-will there never be anything good for a change in this damned and accursed nation?! The hell with the scoundrel ministers responsible for this!!

Last edited:
OP
mobo

mobo

Broken In
So I read the guidelines from the government, and if they are to be followed to the letter, then even 'flipkart assured' and 'fulfilled by amazon' is forbidden! All items must be seller fulfilled! We all know how that goes..

Edit: As is often the case, everything is in a very broad language, and will interpreted to suit the whims of the politicians.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
So no more Flipkart Big Billion Sale & Amazon Great Indian sale this year?
They will be back maybe after hiring a good law firm or maybe after paying donation to the ruling party. If not then they will definitely be back after elections.
this is extremely annoying-all listings for cloudtail and appario retail seem to have disappeared from amazon,and so have all amazonbasics items,i couldn't find them either....Amazon and FK were doing a great job in India and were offering quality goods at affordable prices-for instance i bought an external 2tb hdd from amazon last month for only 5.2k( from cloudtail)-had i bought it from some retail outlet in my area,it would have costed me 6k or more!

The reason i preferred buying online was that for the most part,the customer service offered by these companies was far superior as compared to that of any brick and mortar store,most of whom happen to be deceitful by nature and refuse to extend any courtesy or offer any service to the customer once they have sold off a product-should any problems arise,they either try to brush it aside completely or ask the concerned person to take up the issue with the company's service center.The 10-30 day return window offered by these online retailers for most purchases was something these physical stores could never keep up with,and thus their businesses seemed to have been hit really hard-and i,for one was really glad to see these vile shopkeepers suffer!

I was thinking of buying a new smartphone and a cheap hdtv later this year-but with the advent of these new draconian laws,my plans have been completely derailed.

If this trend keeps up,it wont be surprising if amazon and fk are forced to shut shop in the not too distant future-will there never be anything good for a change in this damned and accursed nation?! The hell with the scoundrel ministers responsible for this!!
+1
Fuddu sarkar wants to turn Amazon into eBay and I think you know how that site was, better than us all.

*www.xda-developers.com/india-ecommerce-ends-exclusivity-smartphones/

I really doubt how Samsung will be able to sell its M series phones now.
So I read the guidelines from the government, and if they are to be followed to the letter, then even 'flipkart assured' and 'fulfilled by amazon' is forbidden! All items must be seller fulfilled! We all know how that goes..

Edit: As is often the case, everything is in a very broad language, and will interpreted to suit the whims of the politicians.
Election time, donation time. Whosoever pays them more might be able to bend the laws as per their own wish.

Reliance is also coming into the e-commerce sector this year. Are these rules to help the guy who is ruling India? I cam bet on that.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
No more monthly Pantry sale now, which use to happen during the first week of every month! That's a bummer, since I just started to use it since a couple of months.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
No more monthly Pantry sale now, which use to happen during the first week of every month! That's a bummer, since I just started to use it since a couple of months.
The government was getting tax, gst to be precise, when I bought say even a pen from Amazon when they raised the bill. They were also getting gst from the courier company. Now I highly doubt even after discount some shopkeeper will raise a bill for the same pen. So, its a revenue loss but this is politics.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So Mr Modi listens to all the shopkeepers but not general public who are actual consumers? Who will tell goverment the pathetic ways these shopkeepers treat consumers? I want to know do these shopkeepers actively make their family members deny the usage of any ecommerce sites?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
So Mr Modi listens to all the shopkeepers but not general public who are actual consumers? Who will tell goverment the pathetic ways these shopkeepers treat consumers? I want to know do these shopkeepers actively make their family members deny the usage of any ecommerce sites?
To be precise he is not listening to shopkeepers but those "swadeshi organizations" who are afraid that amazon/walmart/any big foreign co. will "enslave India aka east India company style" by using their "superior technology/standards/brain power" because as well all know it is better to pursue vedic sciences exceeding modern science to create next pushpak vimaan by the end of kalyuga a few thousands(or billions depending on whom you ask) years from now instead of getting diverted to deal with issues of foreign co using modern technology in a better way.

In summary it is like this :grin: :
upload_2019-2-3_14-15-42.png

upload_2019-2-3_14-16-42.png

OP
mobo

mobo

Broken In
The shopkeepers formed a union and exerted pressure on the government. Bottom line is, the common man is too busy surviving in this crap storm to put forth a real protest.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Source?

But honestly, this is a really asinine regulation. I am having trouble understanding how this will benefit the govt. This just seems like something they are doing to spite ecommerce sites.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Amazon and Walmart threatened by India ecommerce rules - CNN
Amazon, Walmart reel as new Indian norms plunge market into chaos
Amazon, Walmart lose over $50 billion in market value after e-tail policy change - Times of India

Top Bottom