the FreeBSD thread

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Well that FreeBSD installation in the Pentium 4 config failed, it didn't shut down

Installed it in primary PC with 8800GT with NVIDIA drivers.

*img32.imageshack.us/img32/3848/snapshot1rw.png
Still many things to be done. Especially the fonts.

OP
hellknight

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Woah.. That's an awesome wallpaper.. BTW, are your front audio ports working? Mine are not. Apparently, there needs to be some fiddling done with the pin-configuration of the audio drive. And here's my desktop

*img641.imageshack.us/img641/1510/freebsdc.jpg

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Not tried, don't have a headphone/earphone. Would try with the speakers later on, maybe.
Fonts are not really the greatest yet though, even though they are just passable at this time.

That wallpaper is default KDE wallpaper for FreeBSD btw. I am using its red equivalent.

*i.imgur.com/ONNWl.jpg
*i.imgur.com/uaHzQ.png
*i.imgur.com/cke0C.png
*i.imgur.com/ias2p.jpg

HTML5 playback sometimes has weird and repeated pauses though. Not sure why and haven't tried Flash (pesky stuff to use those Linux binaries).

OP
hellknight

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Install the ubuntu-fonts package from ports. I tried searching Infinality but it wasn't there.. Ubuntu fonts look good..

Anish

Spectre
Hi, I've never tried FreeBSD (interested though :twisted:) But tried opensolaris. Can I install FreeBSD along side my windows and linux? I mean I already have dual OS

OP
hellknight

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
^Yeah you can. Just make sure to install it on a primary partition. Then you can add it's entry to GRUB which will boot it.

Anish

Spectre
^Yeah you can. Just make sure to install it on a primary partition. Then you can add it's entry to GRUB which will boot it.

But I have only one partition as primary.
Windows resides in that primary partition,
and two logical drives:
One with linux and one for general storage (NTFS formatted)

So, I have to partition from the logical drive and create another primary to install BSD?
And what bootloader does bsd uses?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
FreeBSD uses its own boot loader, you'll have to make sure not to install it's boot loader and then make either GRUB2 autodetect FreeBSD by grub-mkconfig/update-grub or adding chainloader entries in GRUB/GRUB2 configs. Mind you I messed up my Windows install while installing FreeBSD, but then I "quick-installed" FreeBSD or got careless at some time. Think there's an option for not installing bootloader in sysinstall.
And yeah, Virtualbox is the safest choice.

Top Bottom