The donkey rig...,

bhadkow

Broken In
hello guys, i want to setup a donkey rig - not in dumb sense, more like a hard working one. I do not want a high end pc, a medium range that could work of hours without dying soon due extreme temperatures etc, it should solve the following purposes:

1)downloading data for hours at a stretch.., sometimes i leave my pc without shutdown for 24-30hrs.
2)should be able to play all 1080p files without hassle even the large 10gb rips.
3)do basic gaming like nfs-mostwanted, CODMW games. (i dont want to spend much since i already have a gaming console).
4)run photoshop and other apps smoothly (my work vil not be heavy as am a beginner).
5)no driver issues for windows 7 ulti.
6)usb3.0 support. multiple usb ports.
8)encode/convert 'hd' stuff for my portable media devices.
7)heavy internet usage. with10mbps internet i feel like the world is mine!! :p :p

now already have a 19" lcd monitor, and an amd phenom quad 9550 2.3ghz procy, 4gb ram sticks,keyboard and mouse combos, an a big cabinet! No PSU though. i will ditch the procy and ram for new ones if necessary.

please suggest me the other components, with the cheap and best config thats possible, to create a perfect personal donkey computer :)

i understand prices may vary with place etc but i can adjust for that.

thnx guys.

proud DIGITIAN, (level 10/100) :D :p

ps: i fried one motherboard, and another is on its way to the grave, so please suggest me something which would last atleast 3yrs. :)

TEMPLATE:

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: play, encode/convert 1080p files, nfsmw,codmw, run ps, heavy downloading, system needs to run nonstop and shouldn't fry up!

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: motherboard+graphics solution(10k), AM+2 socket, already have a phenom quad 9550 2.3ghz (should a ditch this?) -if new procy -6k, appropriate cooling system.

4. Planning to overclock?
A: no

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: win7 ultimate primary, dual booting linux or vm.

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: none - i have plenty.

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: 1440x900 19" samsung monitor -am using it.

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 6

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: no, but, i can assemble it myself -thanks to digit ;)

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: asap

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: 2-3yrs would suffice,

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: no pci cards for now.

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: hyderabad, yes i am open to buy from other shops and online if feasible.

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: should withstand long hours of running without frying up.

Last edited:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Please fill up *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/128247-pc-build-questionnaire-template.html so that anyone from here can suggest you a proper config.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
You haven't mentioned you budget. How do you suppose people would come up with a rig without it?
motherboard+graphics solution(10k), AM+2 socket, already have a phenom quad 9550 2.3ghz (should a ditch this?) -if new procy -6k, appropriate cooling system.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
I guess your processor is already good enough.

MB - Gigabyte MA880GM-USB3L - 5500
GFX - XFX ATI 5570 1GB DDR5 - 4900

You also have to invest in a good PSU. Also, if you RAM sticks are DDR2, you have to replace them with DDR3 (2GB sticks start from 625, Chennai).

Alternatively, you can just throw in a good GFX card and PSU only into your existing config.

OP
B

bhadkow

Broken In
I guess your processor is already good enough.

MB - Gigabyte MA880GM-USB3L - 5500
GFX - XFX ATI 5570 1GB DDR5 - 4900

You also have to invest in a good PSU. Also, if you RAM sticks are DDR2, you have to replace them with DDR3 (2GB sticks start from 625, Chennai).

Alternatively, you can just throw in a good GFX card and PSU only into your existing config.

thnx for the reply.., i vil chk it out, and i need to change the board (asus M3N78-VM) as i have minor but annoying issues with audio ports,usb ports. i also suspect the psu might be causing power issues as 3.3v sensor is measuring only 2.8v.

so wat psu rating should i go with and which model? (i suppose i needn't mention the budget for this..) anyways thnx for the help mate :)

Top Bottom