the big box within 15 - 20 k

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
proccy , mobo, psu, cabinet, dvd writer, hard disk, ram within 15 - 20 k .

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:music editing,video editing(not the geek guy's type..), movies(not so high definition - just dvd rips), dvd burning , cd burning , approx 6 hrs per day downloading , internet surfing , games like GTA, NFS, other racing games - dont stress over this one.. , virtual dj , computer programming - i'm still a learner..

i want a future proof machine , ( 7- 8 years..) (yes, i will keep changing the dvd writer from time to time..)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 15 to 20 k..
better the lower..

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:i dont know actually what overclocking is.. (i think its increasing the lock speed by some geeky hacks onto the config. is this it??.)
i am planning to buy i5 2400 or i3 2100 (i'm not an intel fan).. so are all the cores unlocked??

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:win 7 and win xp dualboot :evil::evil:

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:500GB OR 1 TB
Should i get a 160 gb for OS and 1 tb for storing data or just one hdd??

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:no, i will use an old one (samsung crt)
will change it after some time after some more money is in my father's pocket

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: want to buy : proccy , mobo, psu, cabinet, dvd writer, hard disk, ram (4 gb - please suggest whether i should buy 2 x 2 gb ram or 1 x 4 gb and also the model no.

what i already have : monitor , speakers(2.1), keyboard(ps/2) , mouse (ps/2),
ups : this one --- > (600VA UPS(Proview 600) products, buy 600VA UPS(Proview 600) products from alibaba.com)

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:i thin may- june..
i have heard than when ivybridge is launched, sandybridge's prices will fall so.. :evil::evil::evil::evil:

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:no.. i have edited my previous one many times. (its p4 and so my father didnt bother about me going nuts with that. )
certainly by an assembler..
i want to do that myself but...
leave this point...

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:i live in kolkata. i am buying locally (i mean any good and reputed store upon your suggestion)
and its a NO - NO for online shopping.. unless its COD

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:as i said i am not an intel fan , but have heard that intel one's are good..
please suggest a future proof config.. and also clear any misconceptions that you may have noticed above..

will my old monitor work with the new mobo?

PLEASE KEEP THE BUDGET WITHIN 17-18 k if possible..

Last edited:

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
"i want a future proof machine , ( 7- 8 years..) "

I don't think that is possible within 20k. Heck that isn't possible even in 60k!!

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
i know that..
i actually mean that a MACHINE THAT WONT STOP in 7-8 years..
i know it may go slower than the contemporary latest one's..

E7500 was great at his time.. now we cannot regard that proccy as slow..
this was my intention..
and thanks for the reply..

missed out on somethngs.. edited the post...

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
for your budget

Processor|AMD 3.2 GHz AM3 Athlon II 260 Processor|3333|still availaable in flipkart
Motherboard|Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H Motherboard|4028
RAM|G-skill F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT(4Gx1)|1350
HDD|WDC 250GB Blue WD2500AAKX|3766
DVD Writer|ASUS 24X Sata Black DVD|1150
PSU|Corsair GS600|4000
Case|NZXT GAMMA|2000
TOTAL||20399

your machine may not stop but it may stop supporting the then softwares.

Souro_Ray

In the zone
@avichandana20000,
for a system that doesnt require so much power, i think the GS600 would be a bit of overkill.. OP can get the CX430 V2 at around 2.3K. And Gamma has risen in prices here in Calcutta.. compared to that, OP can get the Elite 430 from CM. Or the Elite 310 or 311 at under 2000. Or he could buy a generic case and save quite a few bucks... But thats just my opinion...

Also, if OP wants to game, i think going for a Llano config is better...
AMD A6-3500 @ Rs. 4650
Gigabyte GA-A55M-S2H @ Rs. 4500
(thanks to Jaskanwar Singh's PC Buying Guide 2012 for the prices)

saswat23

Human Spambot
Instead getting an Intel 2nd gen. Pentium Dual Core with a H61 board will be a better choice IMO.
Moreover 500GB HDD costs around Rs.500 more so its better to get a 500GB HDD instead.
GS-600 would be an overkill. So, this is my suggestion:
* AMD Athlon-II X4-640 -- 4.3k
* Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P -- 2.6k
* Corsair 4GB DDR3 Value RAM -- 1.2k
* WDC Blue 500GB HDD -- 4.2k
* Asus 24x DVD-RW -- 1.1k
* NZXT GAMMA -- 2k
* Seasonic S12II-430 -- 2.6k
Total ---- 18k
+
* HD 5570 1GB DDR3 -- 3.2k
Grand Total ---- 21.2k
So, you even get a GPU around your budget.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
no gpu needed.. thats why i was thinkin for 2nd gen core proccys so that some mild games may play without the need for a gpu..

k.. lets go step by step..
i'll first get the harddisk / ram / cabinet / dbd writer within 6000
so that i save 14 k for cpu + mobo ..

i have a pata 40 gb harddisk.. what about me skipping the harddisk for the time being and purchase it after some time?

please comment

yes i wont dual boot at first , just win xp..
and when i buy the hdd after some time , then i'll dualboot it..

about the psu : CX430 V2 at around 2.3K v/s Seasonic S12II-430 -- 2.6k

i also wanted to ask , at the same price , which will perform faster and better intel or amd??

saswat , you use i5 2400 please comment for the above

Last edited:

saswat23

Human Spambot
You can't get HDD, RAM, Cabinet, DVD-RW and PSU for 6k. I have already suggested the chepest possible config.

If you wanna skip HDD for now, that's fine but i dont think 40GB would be sufficient till then. Also you will need a SATA-IDE converter to use your old PATA HDD as most motherboards these days dont have IDE port. You might also face incompatibility issues. Many of my friends who are usin their old PATA HDD with new mobos are having compatibility issues. So, just check you dont face any.

Yes, skip dual booting for the time being i.e till you get a new HDD.

Corsair CX-430v2 is a very good PSU for its price. The Seasonic S12II-430 is almost same as the CX-430v2 but its a 80+ Bronze certified PSU and has 5yrs long warranty unlike 3yrs of Corsair's.

At low-mid budget AMD provides cheaper and better VFMs. At higher budget i.e 10k+ Intel is of no match. For your budget AMD is the best option. Intel will cost more.

i5-2400 really a nice proccy. But still i am facing lags manytimes and auto shutdown dut to 'CPU Overheating' (i think that's due to my mobo) . HD 2000 graphics is very good, I can play games like ME-2 and Bulletstorm w/ any problems. But it wil cost you around 10k. For your budget i wont recommend it. Instead of spending so much on a processor, spend on better PSU, cabinet and Graphics Card.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
athlon x4 better than i3 2100 ??

and what lags are you facing ???
please tell me..

why not leave the gpu and spend the bucks on the proccy / mobo?

saswat23

Human Spambot
Yes, Athlon-II X4 is better than i3 in most multitasking. In most games SB i3 even beat the Hexa Cores so, i3 is a little better in gaming.
But still Athlon-II X4 is a better choice as most apps are being made multithreaded, so Athlon-II X4 will benifit more than the i3.

I m currently on mobile, so posting longer is a bit difficult. I will PM you of my probs. once i get back to PC.

doomgiver

Warframe
for your budget

Processor|AMD 3.2 GHz AM3 Athlon II X4-640|4333|
Motherboard|Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P|2600
RAM|G-skill F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT(4Gx1)|1350
HDD|WDC 500GB Blue |4200
DVD Writer|ASUS 24X Sata Black DVD|1150
PSU|FSP Saga II 400W|1200
Case|generic|~1000
TOTAL||~16000

your machine may not stop but it may stop supporting the then softwares.
EDITED A BIT :)
no need for a crazy psu.
get a 'sasta' gpu.
case, ram can be reduced in price.

* Seasonic S12II-430 -- 2.6k
* HD 5570 1GB DDR3 -- 3.2k

So, you even get a GPU around your budget.
^^ get these 2, if you are buying a gpu.
you can get a psu, the FSP saga II 500W @ 2k, i think.

without gpu : ~16k
with gpu : ~21k

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
please suggest.. how about spending on more on the proccy and mobo combo so that it it more future proof ??

i mean what do you think the config suggested just above will last for ??
i mean that the config will not give problems untill how many years..
i'm not much of a gamer, so i dont think spending on a gpu is necessary..(am i going nuts with this ?)

and i'm also of the same mentality about the psu..
my p4 runs fine on a 400 sumthing frontech psu.. but after reading this : www.thinkdigit.com/forum/power-supp...89-power-supply-blacklist-thread-newbies.html

i now think i'm not gonna burn my 20 k thanks to a cheap psu...

i think i'l think for the psu at last . so that i get one which handles the config better..

sorry for the language errors but i'm not good at it..

yup..
you are correct you must be thinking that this guy is going nuts for a 20 k config but its a large amount for me..

the mobo you suggested doesn't look that nice..

dont you think i can get a better one???

doomgiver

Warframe
see, investing in a good engine oil lets the engine run at its peak, same thing in computer.
better psu, better experience.

this rig will work till 2-3 years easily. add a gpu, and you are looking at 5+ years of service.

for the mobo, do you want to overclock? do something extra?l like modding? core unlocking?
if not, then its enough.

i think you use computer for just normal work, nothing too intensive like video transcoding/overclocking/harcore gaming/sound processing/running virtual machines.

so this rig is fine.

best thing about this rig is.... that after a couple of years, hopefully, you will be able to find a secondhand/cheap 1xxx phenom II X6 hexacore processor (like 1100T or 1050T) and further extend the life of your pc :)

also, gpu helps a lot.
having a 2-3k gpu will benefit you more than you think

you are looking at a long term rig, why not put in a bit more and be relaxed for longer?

saswat23

Human Spambot
@doomgiver
I doubt FSP SAGA-II 400W is available for 1.2k.
Last time i checked it was selling for ~1.9k.

saswat23

Human Spambot
^^ You sure!
Could you give me any link.

AFAIK SAGA-II 350W is available for 1.5k, how come 400W is available for 1.2k!

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
hot debate going round here..

cool down .... cool down...
take a deep breath... oohooo stop.. stop... dont take the whole of earth's atmosphere with you......

k lots of nonsense , now to the imp topic..

what if i say i'm getting another psu??

hehehe
stop this 400 - 350-500 debate guys.... please...

lemme fist tell ya that i'm certainly fixed on the i5 2400

i'm fond of that, checked amd ones at the nearby range , they have very less l2 cache at your service guys .. does that makes i5 cost 9.3 k ??

i mean the amd ones..

and the best mobo for that i5 2400 or an amd one which is less costlier than i5 2400 but is upto the same performance ??

one more thing..
me to understand the cpu - gpu thing..
tell me one thing :
i5 2400 + a good mobo v/s the proccy you suggested with a good 1 gb gpu + a good mobo (as per your suggestion..)

now tell me which one takes the crown??

Top Bottom