THE BEST CONFIGURATION FOR AMD64

Status
Not open for further replies.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
Hey nitrogen...!

well the "best" can vary upon needs nd $$$ availability.....
as far as iam concerned,for me the best wud be

AthlonXP 64 2800 +
MSI k8V Neo MOBO

now RAM,AGP,HDD nd all peripherals depend on u...

i'll go for...
1GB DDR400 RAM
120GB 7200rpm Seagate SATA HDD
Creative 5200 Inspire Speakers 5.1
Geforce FX 5700 Ultra 256 MB AGP card... ((want 5900...but its not available :( ))
DVD Writer

Finally.....the best AMD processor out there is
AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 ((availability in India is doubtfull))
it runs at a clock speed of 2.60,based on socket 939. Have 1 MB of level2 cache!!!!!!

OP
liquid_nitrogen88

liquid_nitrogen88

Journeyman
thanks grinnin devil
i will go with your config albeit some minor alterations like 512 RAM.
speakers i will hav the same 5200. :lol:
i am thinkin abt addin audigy platinum to it.wat u say about that card?
pls tell me if i can fit a higher AMD 64 like 3200+ in the same board?

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
AMD 64 2800+ = Rs 7500
AMD 64 3000+ = Rs 9000
AMD 64 3200+ = Rs 10500

Also check out the ASUS K8V Deluxe mobo which is RS 10000. If you are gonna get only 512 MB or RAM get Kingston 400mhz 256 x 2 as this will run it in dual channel mode and its much faster. The RAM will cost you around 5k

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
hey saurabh....
not available means ..... >> iam not able to get it in delhi!!
if u know sumone frm delhi do lemme know...nd whats the price??? nd ofcourse the company of card...

nd nitrogen...

if ur going ahead with such a nice combination of CPU nd MOBO then i dont think spending on sound card is needed...the board do have onboard 5.1 sound...still its ur own choice !! best bet wud be to check both of them PRACTICALLY...
nd ya rest assured u can upgrade ur CPU but it has to be a 754pin processor...the max u can go is 3200+
u know therez AMD 4000 + 64 bit too...but alas thats on a different pin grid allignment..(939)...so u can't go that far!!

hey coolz...
where ru frm man??....the rates u quoted r definately high.....
the rate iam getting for MSI k8V neo nd 2800 + is 10,400
nd since iam going to spend sumthing on graphics card too then i dont think its necessary to spend around 2500 more on a MOBO with onboard VGA controller...(gigabyte ...hmmm cant remem model no.. has onboard VGA nd is going out for 12000 around....including 2800 + processor)

~~~ :twisted: ~~~

OP
liquid_nitrogen88

liquid_nitrogen88

Journeyman
hey thanks a lot buddies :lol:

i have almost settled on the foll,but with a few more minor issues:

AMD 64 3200+
(the dealer told me there are 2 types of AMD 64 3200+.one with 1MB L2 cache n 754 socket and the other with 512kb,939 socket.which one should i take?he told K8V is for 754 socket.he also told MSI boards are far more costlier.)

Kingston 400mhz 512 MB
(the dealer told to get a single module instead of 2 as 2 modules are leading to system hangups.what are the advantages of dual channel mode?)

ASUS K8V Deluxe mobo
(if its 1Mb,754 processor.wat about the motherboard if the processor is 939 pins?)

Creative 5200 Inspire Speakers 5.1
(i think i will hav the sound card also after checkin as u said :p

DKant

In the zone
If ur going for an AGP then u cld get the GeForce 6600 rather than one from the 5xxx series. It costs arnd 15-16k (cld be lower). If u want to spend a li'l less u cld always go for a 9800pro (arnd 13k methinx, and @any rate better than any 5xxx series card). But I'ld still recommend the 6600. (or the 6800nU, but it costs arnd 20K :( )

I don't know why 2 modules cause sys hangups..but they're generally recommended as dual channel mode offers much faster mem access which the Athlon 64's mem controllers are fine-tuned (in a sense) to exploit. ;) Of course if u plan to add more mem in the future, ur probably better of with a single stick (as u'll have more free slots).

As regards cooling..stock cooling should do..unless ur room is overly congested/airless/etc.etc. If u've enuf ventilation otherwise, and don't plan to overclock, I don't think u shld need anything extra. :)

Don't know much abt 939pin mobos available in India...plus have u thought about PCI-XPress support? Though it won't be a critical necessity, maybe u cld wait for nForce4(with SLI :twisted:) mobos to become widely available in India. U cld check with ur dealer abt that. :)

OP
liquid_nitrogen88

liquid_nitrogen88

Journeyman
well thanks DKant 4 ur nice piece of advise

u hav put me at ease with regard 2 the cooling system...

as i do plan 2 expand the RAM,i will b takin a single module right now(hop farcry will run with it)

as i will b gettin X800 Pro next year as a gift :lol: ,right now i am goin 4 a 9600Pro.(hop farcry will run with it)

i hav settled 4 3200+ 754 1MB L2....as i cant wait 2 get a new system 2 replace my about 2 die 4 year old loyal p3. :cry: :lol:

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
hey nitrogen...

whats the cost of 3200+ ???
nd mobo .... the ASUS K8V???

nd iam also amazed .... dual stcks shud not cause system hangup....

9600pro as card.....hmmm.....not bad at all....
do lemme know its price too!

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
wow man!!
9600 pro for just 6000????

iam wondering if iam mistaken....
iam getting geforce 5700 ultra for 7000

hey whats the company of the card????

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
hey nitrogen!!

forgot to mention that i did a LOT of comparison before opting for 5700 Ultra...

check out this site

*www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/videocards/article.php/3211_3098251__3

then have a luk at performance charts ...
though 9700Pro is better than 5700Ultra but we cant say that for 9600pro

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
grinning_devil

the prices I mentioned are accurate. The mobo i mentioned is the K8V deluxe with 7.1 surround sound, 6 USB ports and loads of features also a very good OCer. Thats why its 10k. The AMD processor prices are again market rates however the dealer I have will give it to me at the price mentioned by nitrogen.

The K8V mobo is around 7250 hence he's gettin it for 18k.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Aah

icecoolz said:
AMD 64 2800+ = Rs 7500
AMD 64 3000+ = Rs 9000
AMD 64 3200+ = Rs 10500

Also check out the ASUS K8V Deluxe mobo which is RS 10000. If you are gonna get only 512 MB or RAM get Kingston 400mhz 256 x 2 as this will run it in dual channel mode and its much faster. The RAM will cost you around 5k

delhi
2800-6.5k
3000-7.5k
3200-11250

asus k8v-i think 5.5k
msi neo fsr-6.1k
msi neo plat-8.1k

dual channel ram(256*2) is expensive

OP
liquid_nitrogen88

liquid_nitrogen88

Journeyman
Its Gigabyte 9600PRO.its actually 3 month old second hand card.its owner was goin abroad n so wen the dealer told me i can get it at this rate i dint hesitate.i hav checked the card n it seems ok.he told me a new card costs 10k.????
I saw in an old issue of digit that gigabyte card is good.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
gud....gigabyte is a nice name to trust!!
just make sure that u ALSO have the original bill along with the card,
just to be on the safe side!! :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom