Testers Get a Look at Vista SP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Microsoft rolls out a preview release candidate that includes changes to the setup and installation experience.

Microsoft has released a preview release candidate for Windows Vista SP1 to a large group of beta testers.
The software maker released the first, private Vista SP1 beta to some 12,000 pre-selected testers in September. At that time, it also promised a larger public beta was in the cards but declined to say when it would be available.

The RC preview beta, which was released late Nov. 14 and includes changes to the setup and installation experience made as a result of tester feedback, was made available to 15,000 pre-selected beta testers, just 3,000 more than the first beta.
Microsoft now plans to make a Vista SP1 release candidate available to a broader group of testers in the near future, the company said in a statement that gave no additional details except to say it was still targeting the first quarter of 2008 to release SP1 to manufacturing.

Even though Microsoft has downplayed the impact that SP1 is likely to have on business adoption of Windows Vista, analysts maintain that it is the key to turning around what has been extremely slow adoption by businesses of the new operating system.
Directions on Microsoft analyst Michael Cherry said he expects evaluations to pick up based on SP1 and said that if organizations find value there, deployments should increase.

Rob Enderle, an analyst with the Enderle Group, said that while some enterprises have reported problems with the initial version of Vista, early reports on SP1 indicate that many of their issues have been addressed. "Corporate adoption should start to pick up in 2008 if SP1 continues to perform well in tests," he said.
A report released Nov. 12 by Forrester Research put enterprise adoption of Vista at just 2 percent to date but said that nearly half of the 1,001 enterprises it surveyed have concrete plans to deploy the operating system.
"Many are waiting for news on SP1, which Microsoft has confirmed will be released in Q1 of 2008," Forrester analyst Benjamin Gray said in the report.

Source

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Yep. I got a mail from Microsoft today containing links for SP1 RC. There were links to both full Vista Image containing SP1 and the other one for a stand-alone installer.

I had to uninstall previous SP1 beta to install this new one, it took approx. 20 minutes to uninstall previous Beta.

And for my wonder this new SP1 RC took 1.5 hours to install but after installing it my Vista is much faster and smoother. :)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ im waiting for SP1 final like hell :mad: ..

BTW whats the sizeof SP1? and will MS send DVD/CD, cause they had sent SP2 for XP.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ Size of SP1 RC is approx. 500 MB and full ISO image size is 3GB.
Can't say about shipment. May be or may be not? ;)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Dear SP1 RC testers :D .. can you share your experience about the release with us :D like boot time improvement, resuming from standby and hibernation,file copy enhancements , security and other stuff .. which is not under NDA..

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^^ time bomb means the installation will stop working ( reduced mode or whatever its called ) after a prefix date.. just like trial softwares expires after 30 days or so..

narangz

Web developer
Well I have a question. What can we OEM users do? We cant slipstream SP in those restore discs. Spending nearly two hours on installing SP is a very tiresome task.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ Its a testing build thats why its taking so much time. Remember Vista beta build installation time? Its was same but the time was greatly reduced in the final build. So I think the same will happen with SP1 final. ;)

shantanu

Technomancer
yeah ! its true.. not 1.5 but it took about an hour for me.. :) , hey i am confused a bit, as my 64 bit installation seems to be a bit slow after SP1 :( , maybe some other problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom