Tesla is world's first personal supercomputer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
London (PTI): Scientists have developed the world's first personal supercomputer, 25 times faster than the average PC -- a technological breakthrough, which could bring "lightning speeds" to the next generation of home computers.

The Tesla supercomputer, designed by US-based company NVIDIA, is priced between 4,000 pounds and 8,000 pounds, and looks much like an ordinary PC.

According to the scientists, the new machine will revolutionise the way researchers and medical professionals carry out their work, for instance, it would allow doctors to process the results of brain and body scans much more quickly and tell patients within hours whether they have a tumour.

David Kirk, the chief scientist at NVIDIA, said: "Pretty much anything that you do on your PC that takes a lot of time can be accelerated with this. These supercomputers can improve the time it takes to process info by 1,000 times.

"If you imagine it takes a week to get a result (from running an experiment), you can only do it 52 times a year. If it takes you minutes, you can do it constantly, and learn just as much in a day."

Moreover, according to the scientists, the machine could help researchers discover cures for diseases, such as cancer and malaria, much more quickly than using traditional research methods.

This is because the device lets them run hundreds of thousands of simulations to create a shortlist of the drugs that are most likely to offer the potential for a cure, The Daily Telegraph reported.

Source: *www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/008200812051660.htm

GTA eats crysis for breakfast lol
+1
Looks like Crysis has got another contender in the form of GTA IV to contest which game can bring the best PCs to its knees :|
On Topic:
Supercomputers can only be personal and practical if they can be bought at a substantially lower rate. Otherwise, I dont see it having any use for you and me. (other than showing off mind blowing stats)

4T7

Journeyman
+1
Looks like Crysis has got another contender in the form of GTA IV to contest which game can bring the best PCs to its knees :|
On Topic:
Supercomputers can only be personal and practical if they can be bought at a substantially lower rate. Otherwise, I dont see it having any use for you and me. (other than showing off mind blowing stats)
Nah it's just a good example of bad porting from one platform to another :D

Vishal Patil

Linux all the way
Oooops MISCONCEPTIONS, the actual thing is that Nvidia has released something called as CUDA (Compute Unified Device Architechture). As the name suggests, the graphics card can be used to perform calculations instead of processor, reducing the workload on processors and offering much higher speeds and capacity.

You might feel why use the processor, just use an Nvidia Graphics card for everything. But remember that it performs better than a processor, but its not a processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom