Temperature problem in CPU

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Hi,

I have an Inter Core2Duo E8400 processor, and it has lately been reporting temperatures of about 80-100C. I have tried cleaning it and changed the thermal paste a number of times, it doesn't help. I suspect that the system might be reporting bogus values. Usually it used to report 50-60C.

Please help

Other details: Motherboard : P5GC-MX/1333

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Actually, I was getting a CPU Overheat message during POST. I checked in BIOS and indeed it was around 90-100 (100 max). Then I installed SpeedFan to check if it was the same. What's wrong about SpeedFan?

CA50

Cyborg Agent
^ mate your previous temps are not good either.

I am using the same proccy and current temps ~38c. The max is 48c as i am using after market cooler.

Are you using the stock intel HSF? Check the fan, if it still working and is it working at optimal level?

And what TIM are you using. I guess the HSF is not making proper contact with the proccy or you have not applied the TIM properly.

Do remove the HSF, apply a fresh and thin layer of TIM and re-install the HSF.

Post your result

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yes, I am using the stock Intel HSF, I will try changing the Thermal compound once more and check. In the meantime, I am facing another problem: My system doesn't startup when both my RAM modules are connected to the system. If I remove one, it starts up without any problems.

CA50

Cyborg Agent
Provide details on the RAM, frequency, etc ?

Mismatch RAM frequency can give these kind of problems

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I will try changing the Thermal compound once more and check.

so you have changed TIM previously? most likely the HSF wasn't fitted properly. or you "may" have bent one of the push pins. the quality of those are usually so low quality. little pressure can break them.

CA50

Cyborg Agent
^ ya thats a point.

@OP, what application are you using for monitoring the temps. use real temp, it gives the most accurate one

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Provide details on the RAM, frequency, etc ?

Mismatch RAM frequency can give these kind of problems

I have 2x2GB 667 MHz DDR2. But the system doesn't start up when both DIMMs are connected. When I remove one, the system starts.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
No dust on the DIMMs and both DIMMs are working. The system starts no matter which DIMM is inserted. Only it gives trouble when both are inserted.

CA50

Cyborg Agent
^ to be on the safe side, ram memtest on both the RAM sticks individually on separate DIMMs

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
have you tried both DIMM individually on both ram slots? and checking your previous post, the problem was not there before isn't? try resetting the CMOS with both ram in the slot.

aloodum

Journeyman
@@ OP

First of all have you checked the HSF itself?
Is there a lot of dust or crud stuck there..trust me it makes a hwlluva of a difference.

The default cooler on the wolfdale is pure crap....Heck they even removed the copper core on the abse and made it tinner? Why justa shift to 45nm? lolz.

Secondly, when applying the TIM , make sure to lay a paper thin layer, as smooth as possible ..Then justa drop at the centre...DO NOT apply too much TIM...its basic job is to just fill in the microscopic holes on the contact metals..ie the surface of ur CPU and the Heat sink..too fat a layer means a big fat insulator...

Thirdly, Hows the cable management in ur system???
Imean did u adda shiny new GFx card,add a new HDD , etc etc...a clogged envirom can contribute to a small extent.

@@ OP again...

Do check ur overall voltage parameters....i just read ur having issues when both dimms are populated....imprper voltage to cpu can also be an issue....
that p5 is 945 based mobo IIRC..dats long time do check up :)

Cheers!

Top Bottom