Temp PC config for 10-15k

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
My Dell XPS l502x laptop died and I need a rig for a few months until the new macbook pro comes out. A desktop should do for now (I've been anyway using my laptop as a desktop and it's been ages since I removed the power cord). Here are my answers to the new build questionnaire:

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: gmail, google docs, team viewer, youtube, movies, terminal to SSH into a server, programming (mostly with Atom editor on a network mounted FS. Occasionally Python scripts/gcc/Android Studio on the local machine). No gaming.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 10-15k. Don't really want to extend because this is a temporary rig that I'll only use for a couple of months.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Nope.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Linux exclusively. Most likely Ubuntu 16.04.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 200 GB.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: I have a Dell 24" 1080p screen that I plan to use. No need for a new monitor.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor, KB, mouse, speaker, spike buster, WiFi router.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: In the next week or so (around Sep 20, 2016).

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I've built desktops before. But if someone is willing to ship an assembled rig with the components I specify, I'm willing to pay for the service.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore. Buying online is preferable. There is a local assembler I'm familiar with, so buying locally should also be OK.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I need HDMI Video+Audio, and I need it to work on Ubuntu (preferably with HDCP disabled so that it'll work better with my HDMI mux). Getting HDMI Audio to work on my laptop in Ubuntu was a nightmare (nVidia Optimus crap). I prefer a config that is known to place nice with Linux even if it is slightly outdated. I would also like it if the config can support 1080p60 in Chrome/Linux; my current lappy has trouble hitting 60fps in chrome. Also, a small cabinet is preferable, especially one that can be horizontally mounted.

This is the rig I had in mind:

- Intel G3240
- MSI H81M-E33
- 8GB DDR3-1600
- Kingston UV300 240GB SSD
- Some crappy cabinet with PSU (yeah, I know a crappy PSU is a bad idea, but longevity is not really a concern for this build)

Edit

Does Intel HD graphics have any known issues with HDMI A/V on Linux. Any issues, TRIM related or other, with the Kingston SSD on Linux?

Edit2

[strike]The Intel NUC5CPYH looks good, but the CPU seems weak. Any benchmarks comparing it with Pentiums?
I might have to go with a Mini ITX mobo. Doubt I can fit an ATX cabinet. Any suggestions for a cheap mini ITX case?[/strike] Never mind. The slab in my table that was preventing the placement of a full sized case is removable. So, any mid tower or smaller atx case will do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom