Telnetting unix

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitizen

Journeyman
hey i have a pc and a laptop both networked using cross over cable now what i want to know is that if i install linu in my desktop and windows xp in my laptop . how do i network them both so that i can access the unix terminal from windows ?

OP
D

digitizen

Journeyman
what do u mean i cant . man know somethin and reply . we use unix through windows telnet in our college we have a redhat system has a server and all other windows system are networked to it and we access unix through windows telnet . and thats what we did in our computer centre too

mediator

Technomancer
Hi...Ofcors u can make network between Xp and *nix! I have the same configuartion as urs => nix on desktop and Xp on lappy!

I dont know how to create network neighbourhood such that windows reads linux folders! But making linux read Xp is pretty easy!
All u need is a Samba Client installed on Linux.
1. Configure Xp to share the folders. U can find plenty of threads here on that. Search first.
2. Note down ur configured workgrup!
3. On samba on linux ........Just enter that workgrup and IP of windows machine.
Ur thru!

U can also make both machines as servers(telnet/ssh/ftp) and then telnet/ssh/ftp between linux and windows! Anyways making linux as server will be more easy and safe!!

U need these services installed on the server and have to start them .

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
digitizen, its rather easy. Just assign IP addresses to both of them (192.168.1.5 and 192.168.1.6 should do just fine) and you make sure than you can ping both of them.

then fire your terminal and you can telnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom