Task Manager in Windows XP show very high memory usage(>120 MB) for itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaurangsaini

the rising chip
I have this uncanny knack of opening the task manager and minimizing it to the system tray, so that i can keep an eye on the CPU usage through the mini-icon. I have another application (Better Memory Meter) to monitor the amount of physical RAM free. I have observed this many times that even when I do not do anything on the system (i.e. leave it idle for about an hour or so), the amount of free RAM steadily decreases. On checking the Task Manager for maximum RAM usage, I have seen that the process "taskmgr.exe" occupies around 120-130 MB of system memory, even when it starts at around a measly 5-6 MB! The question is that why does the Task Manager do such a thing? Why exactly does the memory footprint of this "taskmgr.exe" increase at a slow rate to such obscene levels that I need to restart it? And finally, is it possible to set it to Auto-Reset mode or something of that sort, so that I can limit the memory use?
I know it very well that restarting it solves the issue. But I want to know the reason, if anybody can think of one.

P.S. I have a gigabyte of memory supporting Windows MCE on a Toshiba Satellite A-105 with Core Solo 1.86 Ghz.

Last edited:
OP
gaurangsaini

gaurangsaini

the rising chip
Process list

Here you go....i've attached the screenshot of taskmanager when it's just opened

Process.PNG

OP
gaurangsaini

gaurangsaini

the rising chip
I Hate Transformation Packs

Why PRETEND to be something when you cannot truly BE it? Even worse, why try to be something really pathetic, when you already have something, which is rock-solid! I love you, my dear Windows XP MCE!!!

Long story short, no. I don't have any theme, transformation pack, or skinning utility installed, save for this nifty little utility, ObjectDock, which i find really useful...takes about 20MB of my RAM.

Guys, another thing. I was straining my grey stuff really hard when i found a possibility for this crazy memory usage...can't the task manager store all the data and performance graph information it displays, as a backup sort of thing? I mean, the refresh rate for my Task Manager's 1 second - so all the old data, which is being replaced by the new stuff, might not be getting replaced at all! It must be going into the RAM, as a dump or something...and it keeps on getting accumulated and my poor memory is left with less space to learn new crap...what say everybody???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom