Tapatalk Security Incident and Inability to change passwords by User

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I got this email from Tapatalk 4 hours ago (Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 7:41 AM) about a security issue that have left many ID's and passwords vulnerable (most passwords in encrypted form). Hence it's recommended to change the passwords ASAP.

*i.minus.com/itj5cFYlyySlC.JPG

Email Transcript:
Dear Tapatalk Forum Community,
Today we discovered that someone had used an exploit in a third party plugin on the Tapatalk support forums, leading to the disclosure of email addresses and encrypted passwords, and possibly passwords in cleartext if you attempted to login since December 9th.
Due to this incident, please log into www.tapatalk.com/v2 and change your password.

• Please choose a strong password, containing a mix of upper and lower case letters, numbers and even symbols if possible.
  • Never use the same password on more than one site. Passwords should be unique to each site they access in order to comply with basic security best practices.
No other systems appear to have been affected and we will continue to perform audits. In the meantime our support forums will be brought back online but we will be rolling back the site approximately a week as a precaution. Posts and messages since that time will not be restored in this process.
Again, all passwords have been invalidated and will no longer work. Please reset your password using the reset password page and then following the instructions provided in the email.
We are sorry for this inconvenience and thank you for your patience,
The Tapatalk Team

Weird thing is that when I tried to login through the link provided it failed to find my account. Through Tapatalk app, I can see my email is registered, but from web interface it says this ID is not generated!

Anyone else got this email and facing this issue?

Last edited:
Top Bottom