Tansfer Photos to ipod on the move

Status
Not open for further replies.

antz.bin

Trying to find my feet...
Hello folks,

I have a few problems on my hands and would really want people here to help me out.

1. I own a Panasonic FZ28 for the last 1 year. I click photos and dump on an external hard drive (connected on a NAS) due to limited storage on my laptop. Now the problem arises that, people at home and friends always complain that i don't show them the pictures that i have clicked AT ALL. For this reason, friends/family call my camera a Garage Parked Lamborghini / Black hole.

2. As the medium of storage is connected to a NAS, the photos (all 10 mpix, so large size) take lot of time to open on any machine and hence it is a very tedious process for doing any kind of post processing OR plain showing off.. the slowness in the photo viewing experience makes the entire process boring.

3. Another requirement is that, though i own an 8GB Extreme 3 SDHC card alongwith the Camera, which is sufficient for 4-5 day trips (high no. of photos clicked), but for anything longer, i would have to carry my Laptop too, which , when on vacation, is especially undesirable. Especially because i prefer my bike for all my traveling(Yes I do & I am not insane.), and extra weight screws up the ride.

So considering the above requirements, i arrived at the solution, that if i buy a high capacity PMP like an iPod classic (120/160 GB), most of my aforementioned problems can be solved. But still, point 3. is of upmost importance which is not addressed by this scenario. So a bit of googling has got me 2 solutions through which i can avoid lugging my laptop around everywhere.

1. Apple iPod camera connector.
Good,genuine iPod accessory, can be used to transfer photos directly from camera to ipod without requirement of itunes/laptop.
Issues: Connection to camera is through USB cable of camera. Which requires the camera to remain ON during the transfer process. Thus wasting precious camera battery. Interface used is USB 1.1, so transfer speeds are pathetically slow.

2. Belkin F8E461 Media Card Reader Dock Connector for iPod:
Another good accessory, can be used to transfer photos directly from memory card to iPod. Camera not required during transfer process(i.e. battery conserved).
Issues: Again USB 1.1, so max transfer speeds can get is 300KBps, which is very very slow for transferring large quantities of data, doesn't utilize the high speed nature (30Mbps) of the memory card at all. Not sure if it works with SDHC, though SD is supported.

So, after the above story, guys, geeks, everyone, please give me info/gyaan/solutions to my problem. Feel free to suggest other PMPs with similar (read high) storage capacities, any other accessories that you know of which might be helpful in my purpose. I am a complete noob in all this ipod culture and any guidance will be appreciated. Anyways, please do keep in mind that the audio quality of the PMP should also be above average as i am also quite a music buff and it would'nt hurt me if i also got a good music player in the bargain.

Edit:
P.S.: Budget is 12-15k. Preferred PMP is iPod Classic 120GB. And my camera is not a parked Lamborghini so I do need the storage. I have done 10000+ shots from it till date (in the last 1 year).

Last edited:

ianholt60

Right off the assembly line
Hi.
Hey thanks for sharing.
Could you please help me out? I bought new ipod last week and i need some good looking skin on it. So i have searched a lot regarding this and came through a website *www.decalskin.com/ , Is this website is really good in providing nice ipod skins ?

OP
A

antz.bin

Wasn't this thread supposed to help me out? Anyways, i checked up with apple support, both the accessories i mentioned are unsupported by all ipods launched after September 2007, i.e. all the available ipods. So it seems i am out of luck. Anyways, the website looks good, but i for one would want to keep mine stock.

OP
A

antz.bin

thanks bro.. but as i already mentioned in my previous post, both the accessories are unsupported by ipods launced after September 2007. This happens to be one of the 2 i mentioned in post #1. So i guess i am out of luck with ipods. Any other options?

keanu_reeves

Broken In
hope u have a winmo this video is from may 2009 *www.pocketables.net/2009/05/how-to...-a-digital-camera-to-an-iphoneipod-touch.html have a look if it helps. if it does do tell

OP
A

antz.bin

This version requires me to buy ipod touch/iphone (which are waay over budget) if i go for any sort of real capacity (32/64GB) with the 32GB version costing 23k and the 64GB costing 28k odd. While i would love to own such high quality music/picture viewing / multipurpose devices.. these are way out of my budget, and finally, still doesnt satisfy point #3 as the Win Mo phone i use has microSD(HC), and my camera uses SDHC.. i dont think there will be a convertor that can convert SDHC to microSD (big to small) while the inverse is actually possible, this, i am afraid, is not. Also, full resolution images dont show up on ipod touch, And, i cannot use microSDHC on my camera with convertor as they would have slow read/write speeds and incapable of storing HD videos.

Last edited:

keanu_reeves

Broken In
No reply from your side :) I think u r fed up with the replies here

ek sher arz karna chahunga

Rahene ko kabhi mukammal jahan nahin milta. Rahene ko kabhi mukammal jahan nahin miltaaa. Kabhi insaan nahin milta kabhi khuda nahin milta...

I think this is what u can use..... it can connect 2 usb based devices and transfer from one port to another.

Other is a plane HDD case which can copy any thing from a USB device without PC

And they both do not have audio capabilities. Although U2 USB OTG Bridge u can use a card reader and save camera battery and copy your stuff on your Ipod in the Camera bag while you are enroute to ur next destination...

If it helps please do tell..

*www.usbgo.com/

or better still search for OTG digital companion (OTG = on the go) which comes under your budget

OP
A

antz.bin

After lots of looking around, i have found 2 products,

1. Creative Zen X-Fi 32GB (Flash Based MP3 Player)
2. Transcend StoreJet OTG 30GB (External Drive only)

which fit my requirements + budget perfectly but for the storage available.

The Creative Zen X-Fi 32 GB does all 3 things, while the Transcend StoreJet OTG 30GB does no. #2 & #3, which were the more important ones.

OP
A

antz.bin

So.. it seems.. nobody has been ready to help me out here.. so as the saying goes, 'God helps those who help themselves.' I had decided to take matters into my own hands..

So, after extensive research, I have come to a conclusion that, it is impossible that all 3 of my requirements can be fulfilled by a single device.. and for it to be sold in india (for a reasonable price). The devices which did fit my requirement, and for only for reference purposes for anyone who has similar requirements, but much higher budget, are mentioned below.

The devices are as follows:

Creative Zen Vision W 30 GB Widescreen Multimedia Player (Black) (Discontinued)

Digital Foci Picture Porter Elite 80GB Picture Viewer (Not sold in India, Available on Amazon.com for $326.37)

Epson P-3000 40GB Multimedia Storage Drive, Viewer, and Audio-Video Player w/ 4-Inch LCD (Discontinued but available on Amazon.com for $344.49 odd OR Rs.15,845)

Epson P-6000 80GB Multimedia Storage Drive, Photo Viewer and Audio-Video Player w/ 4-Inch LCD (Available on Amazon.com for $534.95 odd OR Rs.24,607)

Epson P-7000 160GB Multimedia Storage Drive, Photo Viewer and Audio-Video Player w/ 4-Inch LCD (Costs $700+ i.e. Rs.32,200)

Vosonic VP8870 Multimedia Storage Viewer - 4.3 Inch Screen - AV OUT - Photo and Video Backup (Best Option of all, most VFM) $239.99 for model without hard drive, any 2.5in HDD can be inserted in the device, so theoretically, it can be expanded to 1TB, but for comparison's sake, device with 160GB HDD costs somewhere around $299.99 = Rs.13800. Now the problem, its available nowhere on the internet, OUT OF STOCK everywhere, and Made in Taiwan, I would'nt trust such a device without any warranty.

NEXTO eXtreme3 320GB Digital Hi-Speed OTG Backup Storage (What PROs use, but no display for viewing, only Black/blue-backlit display, Not sold in India, $299.99 = Rs.13800)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom