Tablet for reading

anonymous

Broken In
Hi all,

My budget is <10k.
I would like to buy a tablet for reading books and watching videos. I will not be using this for games or downloading apps from google play,etc. Only two things read books and watch videos. At first I thought of buying Kindle but I learn't that it cant play videos (atleast for my budget), so I am planning to buy a tablet. Kindly suggest.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
or, you may get a Nook HD (not HD+) from ebay.in. there's a seller named 'aggimp'. he has listed a few of those under various prices (all under 10k). i have an HD+, and find reading on it next best to an e-ink reader, and certainly the best in 15k tabs-category (or probably more). had a Nexus 7 earlier, but returned that, as didn't find reading very pleasing on it. for a primary purpose of reading, and secondary purpose of watching videos, Nook HD would do good and will be a VFM option for you. i also had the same requirements when i had decided to purchase a tab (have an e-ink reader, but needed a tab for reading+watching videos).

OP
A

anonymous

Broken In
or, you may get a Nook HD (not HD+) from ebay.in. there's a seller named 'aggimp'. he has listed a few of those under various prices (all under 10k). i have an HD+, and find reading on it next best to an e-ink reader, and certainly the best in 15k tabs-category (or probably more). had a Nexus 7 earlier, but returned that, as didn't find reading very pleasing on it. for a primary purpose of reading, and secondary purpose of watching videos, Nook HD would do good and will be a VFM option for you. i also had the same requirements when i had decided to purchase a tab (have an e-ink reader, but needed a tab for reading+watching videos).
But what will you do if you have a problem with it? I mean are there service centers for it? Where can you buy battery? How long have you been using it?

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
don't know about the Nook HD, but the Nook HD+ is/was covered under warranty by Nook, and the seller from whom i purchased was through whom the service/replacement had to be availed. he had been helpful in that (experienced by a forum-member, from another forum). moreover, quite a few forum-members had purchased the same tab from him, among whom i happened to be one, and there's a dedicated thread on the tab detailing everything on that forum, so anyway having lesser concern towards purchasing an imported product, esp. since worthy options were next-to-nil, i had even less hesitation in placing the order for the tab with that seller due to all these reasons.

now my tab is nearing its warranty-period. its quite a sturdy tab, with a solid battery back-up. accessories for it were a concern for some forumers (about battery, i don't know; no service-centre too here; the product wasn't launched in India), for one, its charger. charger for the Nook HD+ couldn't be had here, so some of them purchased it in some offer and got them here via their friends from the US. may be Nook now ships to India too. haven't checked their website in a long time.

also, about a month or more back, a friend purchased the Nook HD from 'aggimp' (for his father). he's happy with it. check & research well before purchasing any one.

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
Refurbished sounds scary and i am not comfortable
In reality, refurbished versions are considered better than original as they undergo a lot of inspection from the company. You have very low chances of getting a damaged by one.
Only drawback Is warranty which you will receive only of three months.

OP
A

anonymous

Broken In
don't know about the Nook HD, but the Nook HD+ is/was covered under warranty by Nook, and the seller from whom i purchased was through whom the service/replacement had to be availed. he had been helpful in that (experienced by a forum-member, from another forum). moreover, quite a few forum-members had purchased the same tab from him, among whom i happened to be one, and there's a dedicated thread on the tab detailing everything on that forum, so anyway having lesser concern towards purchasing an imported product, esp. since worthy options were next-to-nil, i had even less hesitation in placing the order for the tab with that seller due to all these reasons.

now my tab is nearing its warranty-period. its quite a sturdy tab, with a solid battery back-up. accessories for it were a concern for some forumers (about battery, i don't know; no service-centre too here; the product wasn't launched in India), for one, its charger. charger for the Nook HD+ couldn't be had here, so some of them purchased it in some offer and got them here via their friends from the US. may be Nook now ships to India too. haven't checked their website in a long time.

also, about a month or more back, a friend purchased the Nook HD from 'aggimp' (for his father). he's happy with it. check & research well before purchasing any one.

Thanks for the info. Can you suggest any other model as there are no service centres for it? Also no idea of battery also for it...

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Thanks for the info. Can you suggest any other model as there are no service centres for it? Also no idea of battery also for it...

about battery, do you mean if it ever develops a snag and requires replacement, or for purchasing a higher capacity one? if the latter, then that's not possible i suppose, but you would anyway require a technician to replace battery if it develops fault, though the likelihood is far too less, and there're no service-centres for Nook here i think.
though the Nook would've been the best of the lot as a tab for reading primarily, but since service is of prime concern for you, then you may get the phonepad.

I too have a similar requirement, so you guys are talking about Asus phonepad 7 2014 or the older version ?

- - - Updated - - -

Does asus phonepad support usb otg ?

- - - Updated - - -

on gsmarena there are many versions of fonepad, which ones are available in India ?

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
You can't close your eyes even after buying asus phonepad ;)

That's an answer,Tenida.
In reality,even no one can buy an apple iPad and keep eyes closed. That is the world of electronics and its related products.

I too have a similar requirement, so you guys are talking about Asus phonepad 7 2014 or the older version ?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

on gsmarena there are many versions of fonepad, which ones are available in India ?

?????????????

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

what about amazon kindle series? i think they would also make a nice choice and is sold officially here

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
what about amazon kindle series? i think they would also make a nice choice and is sold officially here

the kindle fire tabs, or the kindle e-ink readers? yes, they also are a good option, though i couldn't find the former on amazon's indian portal.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

i think you better ask via a separate thread, or in some other section, as i for one have negligible knowledge and nil experience with the fonepad, but your thread will be spotted by those here on the forum who actually have, and they will then respond to it there.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
kindle paperwhite e-ink reader will be the best for reading e-books. its available in india - both online as well as offline.

Top Bottom