AMD 2800+
512MB Hynix RAM
120 GB Seagate SATA hard disk
Big 6600 Graphics card
Samsung DVD/CD-RW combo
IEEE add-on card of VIA chipset
Iball cabinet with 400w SMPS
Microtek 600VA UPS

Two weeks back, when the system is running, suddenly a spark came from inside the CPU and the system switched off on it's own. I replaced the SMPS after replacing it from the dealer.

Now the system works fine except sometimes it shutdown automatically while working on it. I found the indicator light (green) of the Asus motherboard gets dimmed whenever the system shuts down on it's own. Sometimes the system won't even start and I found that green light is dimmed on those occasions too. Is the dimmed green light indicates insufficient power supply?

What might be the problem? Please help me to identify it! Is this a problem with the SMPS or low voltage?

I will be grateful for the right solution!

Thanks,

Natty

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
if atall u are usin XP then disable the automatic restart to make sure tht this not a software problem !!!

now i must say ur intende diagnosis is right even i feel it could well be problem with the smps not bein able to deliver the power properly !!!

ie in case of low voltages

generally good quality smps are guarded against this but u never know !!!

sakumar79

Technomancer
Check your RAM modules if they are seated properly and do not have any dust in them (happened in my computer)... Also, monitor your CPU/Motherboard temperature to see if there is any strange high temperature before shutdown occurs... SMPS also might be a problem, so get it checked.

Arun

I

invisible

dont get antec .they are the worst.already 2 psu's gone.wtf!

I have faced the same problem as yours.
The system is shutting down automatically due to incorrect seating of processor .reseat(move) the processor many times until this problem disappers.and also in BIOS disable 'automatic system on due to power loss'

OP
N

Natty

Right off the assembly line
Thanks for the feedbacks!

Arun, as you said, I have checked the CPU/motherboard temperature and voltage through the ASUS motherboard monitoring software. While the system is working all these temperature and voltage values are showing the ideal values. But when the system shuts down obviously I can't check the volt or temperature. Regarding the RAM, I checked and it's seated properly. I am not sure about the dust as my room is not air-condititioned and have a balcony. I will try to check the dust on the RAM module. Thanks for the suggestions.

John, Yogi, Hummer, as you all said, I have to check the SMPS and if it's not good have to replace with a good one! But first I wanted to make sure that the problem lies with the SMPS or with something else. I am just wondering if the UPS is also having an inbuilt surge protection, is the UPS responsible for disconnecting the power on low voltage? Thanks for analysing the problem!

Invisible, the system was working fine before I replaced the SMPS. Hence I think it won't be the problem of Processor seating/BIOS settings. Do you agree? Thanks for the suggestion!

Natty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom